Fivah's s13 Build: "The Frog"

Yup, post them single slammers here....
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Re: Fivah's s13 Build: "The Frog"

Post by Turnstyles »

goodies

cx racing thick ka24e turbo manifold. This thing is solid!! I took a gamble and got it, instead of building my own $$$ im pleased with it

cx racing intercooler (everything was packed nice also)

if you want me to take more pictures to see things better let me know and ill find my camera in one of my boxes somewhere and put it to use instead of using my phone
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

more info on what I got done
crank polished and turned 10 under across, I have clevite bearings they ordered for me
balanced rotating assembly
block decked, hot tanked, bored .20 over
front cover decked to match
head was check and everything was straight
vavle job, ported etc

ill be putting the engine together myself *kinda scared lol*

ill be spending money on my engine management next....nistune looking like the move right now, got a good discount from cx racing and ill be using that on the 3inch exhaust, I have the 2.5inch megan racing exhaust right now

I noticed during my build my power goals go down and down lol ill be happy with 300whp but I hope I can get to 450whp one day
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

nissan240sx wrote:what part of md are you in? also they should fix it if u have proof of the engine before and after if they treat u wrong make sure to post about it so other people dont get hit by them
im in the PG county in Clinton area (for now until I move the hell out of here, maybe to waldorf). I updated my pictures. ill post before and after when I get home if nothing bad happens lol but if you have advice on those 2 marks let me know. The shop told me its fine, I called them and they knew about it. I don't recall marks like that before though everything was smooth to the touch. I have video and picks but it looks like the rings wont touch the marks it meets but doesn't pass over, I guess ill have to put it together and rotate and see by hand. if it is a problem what should I do? over size file to fit rings?? to bore it again ill need custom pistons they don't my .25 or .30 pistons, I've seen .40 but that's pushing it and I don't know if they make them anymore.

another thing I don't think I got the bores on the head to match block bores, when I was talking to the machine shop he basically said it will be fine.

this my first build I feel like an idiot :angry-teeth:
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

Turnstyles wrote:here is the two marks I noticed, I call the machine shop and he basically told me it wont affect anything and that it didn't "clean up" perfect on the top in that area but should be good

really worried now about those "gashes" they tell me its okay but idk. im searching for .030 over pistons, probably have to bore it again.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

I need another block im not trusting this ****...I don't want to pull the engine I got in my car out. I'm having withdrawals from driving my 240sx im trying to register it in Maryland as a street rod so I don't have to do emissions. I can build this thing and it may not have a problem or build it and then my piston rings snap because they snag on those "gashes" FML....gotta figure this out, I have everything except the EMS.

Or should I build it and say **** it, and build the original engine then when it breaks hopefully the rods are still good and I can use them again.
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

What caused the marks in the bores?
was this from engine failure?
How deep are they?

Can you measure the distance from the top of a piston to the ring grooves on a piston, then measure down from tdc to the marks in the bores.

If the marks in the bores are in line with the rings you may get either or both lower compression in those cylinders and oil passing into the combustion chamber. If the marks are above the rings it should cause no issue with pistons and rings.

I would want to be sure the bores are in good condition before building the motor. Otherwise you are wasting your money and time.

Good luck.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
trollgod
NooB

Post by trollgod »

Your in PG? In maryland? If so your not that far from me lol, awesome. Build so far
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

Adrenalin wrote:What caused the marks in the bores?
was this from engine failure?
How deep are they?

Can you measure the distance from the top of a piston to the ring grooves on a piston, then measure down from tdc to the marks in the bores.

If the marks in the bores are in line with the rings you may get either or both lower compression in those cylinders and oil passing into the combustion chamber. If the marks are above the rings it should cause no issue with pistons and rings.

I would want to be sure the bores are in good condition before building the motor. Otherwise you are wasting your money and time.

Good luck.
yeah i measured it, its right at the first ring lip (not on it but it meets the part before the ring) groove for both of them. ima look around and see what i can do. They are deep enough to catch my nail, but you cant see them looking down the bore straight down. i'm trying to see if i can get .030 over pistons and re bore it somewhere else, paid 1200 (a lil more than half of that was for the head work)...the machine shop said it was fine, put im kind of picky and cautious with my stuff.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

trollgod wrote:Your in PG? In maryland? If so your not that far from me lol, awesome. Build so far
yeah im out here, im from around here but havent been home is like 8-10 years, coming from new mexico. Are there any clubs or car groups around here??
trollgod
NooB

Post by trollgod »

Yea check out mdmax its a nissan/infiniti based group theres a guy with a s15 turbo ls swapped one. We meet at bww at arundel mills, look us up om facebook and post a pic on the page and mention "trollgod" ill request you and get you in
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

trollgod wrote:Yea check out mdmax its a nissan/infiniti based group theres a guy with a s15 turbo ls swapped one. We meet at bww at arundel mills, look us up om facebook and post a pic on the page and mention "trollgod" ill request you and get you in
Excellent ill check it out!! getting my car registered in md as historic this weekend, my new mexico tags expired. Hopefully i dont have to get emissions done. Fixing safety stuff for my safety exceptions all i need is my shoulder seat belt replaced because the one i have is frayed up bad. do you know a shop where i can get fender z flares put on? went to bad shop in clinton and he said $1000 to put them on after cutting and welding my fenders shut.

Looks like ill have to activate my facebook, went almost year without it lol :mrgreen:
Last edited by Turnstyles on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trollgod
NooB

Post by trollgod »

Someone in the group prolly can lol what's next to do on the 240?
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

trollgod wrote:Someone in the group prolly can lol what's next to do on the 240?
im building my engine for turbo, the engine thats in it has 120,000k i had it for years. Bought it in hawaii in 07, had 78k on it and was an automatic. running on 3 cylinders i fix it and then fix the timing chain (which i think is going bad again lol).

Moved to new mexico and shipped the car to dallas tx on 5spd swap i did 2 weeks before :P the auto trans was slipping. Then i drove it 12hrs across to new mexico with no heat lol. car sat for 2 yrs basically...deployed back to back. Fixed lil stuff here and there, it was my daily

hooked up with some friends and got into autocross in el paso texas for a whole year. i was driving it from alamo to el paso and back with my friend (owns a cobra with a whipple) 2hr drives. Went to drag a couple times, didnt get into drifting, had a chance to go learn but really not my thing. I was pounding this car, its tough!.

The car is still open diff (i will get a LSD), im on 32 way megan racing coilovers etc, SPL stuff in the back and some lil things in the front suspension etc. 530 XXR rims, they are wide, shouldve did more research on rims i wouldve went 16's.
nothing drastic to the engine, i just replace all my rocker arms trying to hunt down a tick noise (went drag racing the same day lol). Its green, painted it myself, its not the best. Its named the frog, some 240 buddies in hawaii gave it the name.

I had to tow the car here from new mexico, didnt trust it that far, probably wouldve made it. So its on weird temp rims in the front, im figuring out my rim fitment i dont want neg camber, right now it looks funny. My rear fenders are ghetto rolled :angry-cussingblack: shouldve took my time but i was rushing to autocross after lowering my car more.

so thats most of the story, im not an expert on it but ive been through some things with it.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

what if I got .040 over with dohc pistons? ill have to get my head turned to match also huh?
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Sorry when I wrote this I had it in my head that you had a de when clearly you don't. I edited my post so as not to confuse anyone looking for this info.

Putting ka24de pistons in a ka24e lowers static comp. Another option is z24 pistons in ka24e, but again yields about 7:1 static comp.

Here is some info on what can be done and results.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/tried-search ... 58586.html

Maybe getting another block is a cheapest and safest thing to do.
Last edited by Adrenalin on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

Adrenalin wrote:Doing that raises static comp well above what you would want to run a turbo on.

Here is some info on what can be done and results.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/tried-search ... 58586.html
hmmmmm.... if SOHC pistons raise comp in a DE, wouldn't DE pistons lower comp in a SOHC???
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

That's right bro, it'll drop the compression pretty low, not exactly sure what the numbers are though. I guess we have the same goals here and doing a build at the same time. I was looking at that same exact manifold on cx racing and was debating on wether I should get it. Let me know how well the manifold holds up. Ima keep looking around for one though. Good luck with your build.
If no one from the future comes to stop you, how bad of a decision could it really be??
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

trin3 wrote:That's right bro, it'll drop the compression pretty low, not exactly sure what the numbers are though. I guess we have the same goals here and doing a build at the same time. I was looking at that same exact manifold on cx racing and was debating on wether I should get it. Let me know how well the manifold holds up. Ima keep looking around for one though. Good luck with your build.
I know for sure my intercooler piping will be easier to match up with cxracing mani+the piping they made. I was going to go with the solid molded ones you can get from gladman or ebay equal (log style ones) they are way more durable from what I heard but the tubular ones spool "better". If you get the cx racing mani get the thick version of it, it is pretty solid. Once I finish ill see how it stands up.
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

you can run a turbo on compression as high as 11:1 safely my build will be 10:5:1 what matters is dynamic compression
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

nissan240sx wrote:you can run a turbo on compression as high as 11:1 safely my build will be 10:5:1 what matters is dynamic compression
Where did you read that at? I'm curious.
If no one from the future comes to stop you, how bad of a decision could it really be??
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

I will see if I cant find it..also best to be on e85 or better at that point
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

I was on a roll and now i'm at a dead stop again, I don't know what to do. I don't think they "bored" the head to match the block bores. Again I seem to pick all the worst places to get stuff done and have my stuff all messed up. More $$$$$$

so I wrote down my options:

-Source another block from someone, take it to machine shop: hot tank, deck it, .020 over have them re balance my parts just in case and check my head "bore matching"

-pull engine out of the car and build that one... a longer route, and I wont be able to drive my 240sx for good time while building motor

-buy ka24de pistons 90mm (0.040 over) and bore and hone the engine again: CP $550, Weisco $660, supertech $399 (on sale at enjuku I think), but I got to see if it that bore would even remove the "gash" marks

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-teeth: :angry-teeth: :angry-teeth: : :angry-cussingblack:
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

anybody near Maryland, Virgina, DC got a good shape block holla at me. lol until then ima put my engine build on hold until I really decide what to do....fml
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

i have a block needs to be bored 20. over i am in germantown md
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

nissan240sx wrote:i have a block needs to be bored 20. over i am in germantown md
damn I just bought ka24de weisco pistons 9:1 (90mm) to bore over another .020 (.040 total), trying to sell my pistons tho
shftqikr
Learners Permit

Post by shftqikr »

Hey Fivah, just read your thread. Liking where you're going with it. Those 2 marks in the cylinders look like ring ridge wear marks. after several engine builds I certainly think you should try to do a manual cranking of the engine with the head on before you put it in the car to ensure compression. What type of cam are you thinking of using? I just recently spoke with Ben at Jim Wolf, and was told they no long offer the SOHC turbo cam. I have not yet checked with PDM or any one, but do know that i don't want huge lift or duration on the turbo setup. I also have an AiResearch turbo, a bit larger, but it is a Garrett unit. Believe mine is a t6 flange and was common on Allis Chalmers tractors, lol. it's a huge turbo however, way to big for this engine. I plan on watching your build, and hope to post details on mine soon. Good luck with it, looking great so far.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

thanks for stopping to my build thread. im going with the cam OandJperformance offers for the SOHC, im going to order it soon. Waiting on my pistons 90mm and im going to bore it again to clean it up. Once that is done ill be putting it together. I lurk here during work lol
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

updates soon, putting my pistons in, I had moved again. mixed up my ARP bolts and had to figure out which is which, crank is in and bolted down clearances are in spec and it spins good and freely. Took my block to 3 different machine shops and they all said the same thing about my previous issue with the bore marks at the top, we will see when I put the pistons in, they are ready and the spiral locks are a pain in the ASS.

I tighten my ARP mains in 3 rounds 25ft lb-45ftlbs-60ftlbs...if someone has something to say about this let me know. post more this weekend....starting to tear down my car too.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

maybe im thinking too hard but did anyone have problems using rod bearings with dowel holes on rods that dont have oil hole in them?????