Fivah's s13 Build: "The Frog"

Yup, post them single slammers here....
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Fivah's s13 Build: "The Frog"

Post by Turnstyles »

Been lurking here for awhile....Im finally ready to boost my Ka24e :dance:

So a little about me, because im sure many on here dont know me or seen my car.

-Bought my 240sx in 2007-2008 i cant remember
-It was autotragic, running on 3 cylinders etc, body is in great shape!! im the 2nd owner and the car at the time had 79k miles
-First major thing i did was a five speed swap using a ka24de tranmission est 150k miles, learned alot about the car, i did everything myself on jack stands, one peice driveshaft, steel braided lines, oem clutch from exedy
-I got bored and painted my car, its super kermit the frog green, wasnt intended to be that color lol :mrgreen:
-Since then ive been doing suspension work, i got all SPL arms in the back and megan racing tie rods etc in the front (they will be replaced with better quality stuff but i had zero issues with it)
-i got xxr 531 i think all around FR: 17x9.5 and RR: 17x9.75, shouldve did more research, rims a lil too big offset wise (+25, +2- in the rear)

So i bought a extra engine for $100 with everything on it, stripped it down to the block and im ready to take it to the machine shop :cool: i also got a extra tranmission from another guy who did a SR swap for free, and i pulled some important things off the sohc he had also, the weird sensors on the intake etc....

Im making this thread to help me keep record and also to invite the more experience sohc
owner who boosted their engine :twisted:

The biggest thing im going to worry about is turbo tunning and the component with it, because i have no clue, just a basic understanding of what everything does, thats about it

right now im deciding if i need to bore over .20 or not, cylinder wall are in great shape for what it is and a hone will work, i need to decide this so i can order my pistons....the block will be hot tanked etc

Power goals: 375-400whp @14 psi with t3 turbo

pictures and stuff later, both of my newer computers broke, and im force to use my labtop from 2004, its still working lol so standby on the pics
Last edited by Turnstyles on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Re: Fivahs's s13 Build: "The Frog"

Post by cmj »

375whp at 14psi? Are there setups that can achieve this?
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

cmj wrote:375whp at 14psi? Are there setups that can achieve this?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52166
It is about llb/min rather than psi.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

well like i said i dont know the turbo tunning stuff that well, i think 14-15 psi is where i want to boost..what ever i can get out of that is fine with me, 280whp is good enough in my book , but i would like to break 300. Im at work right now :mrgreen:
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

supakat wrote:
cmj wrote:375whp at 14psi? Are there setups that can achieve this?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52166
It is about llb/min rather than psi.
That's a supra graph! J/k

I wish this was obtainable at < 5k rpm. I've been thinking about using NO2 to spool a bigger turbo quicker, but haven't looked into how you would tune for it.

Good luck with the project!
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Re: Fivah's s13 Build: "The Frog"

Post by Turnstyles »

hopefully i can get some pictures for you guys, but if you search facebook for the same title of the thread you can join the group, ill have more pictures on there than anything
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

do any of you know where to get OEM sensors for the ka that is on the block etc.....push me to a good site
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

i got my hands on a possible t3 turbo made by AiResearch, i was told it was rebuilt and is a t3/t4 50 trim, the exhuast side has 63 A/R stamped on it...ill post pictures when i can, i googled and cant find credible information on it. It has "AiResearch M11" stamped on the compressor housing, and im seeing mixed things about saying the "m11" is just the casting number has nothing to do with size of turbo, and im seeing ppl saying the opposite. I have no clue lol but it s a 2 bolt compressor inlet housing (which i dont like), i wonder if i switch compressor hosuing with one that protrudes out?...i think i can get one that is 50 trim/63 A/R...idk know how that will work, but it would be nice starter turbo till i upgrade or get a brand new one....

From my understanding AiResearch is made by garette, turbo has never been used after it was rebuilt. It was professionaly rebuilt and balanced and the guy was going to turbo his ka24de but couldnt bring it from germany so he moved on. Im trying to see if i can change the housing, the 2 bolt inlet is the only thing i dont like. unless there is adapter of some sort.

I also have a N60 maf<<<<<<<<any guidance on that, help a brother out

any thoughts, sorry no pics yet, everything is basically torn down, the block is ready for tank and machine work.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

We would like to see the frog please :D
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

N60 MAF using the same wiring and same plug as N62 (Z32 300zx) MAF
B - Signal
C - Ground
D - Ground
E - +12V
C and D are interconnected inside the MAF,
you can connect them to your stock harness ground and/or chassis ground
didn't make much difference for me (when connected to harness ground and chassis ground the signal voltage drops by 0.05V)
ImageImageImage
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

^^^^^thanks for that, ill copy that into my car notes booklet^^^^

I got sick this weekend so that ruin any plans of going machine shop picking, so all ive been doing is cleaning up my parts and storing them neatly and trying to fix my computer, guess my video card died, anyway im going to put some pics up of my car later tonight, some from my instagram and ill post the engine etc from my tablet or phone, lets see if that works. stay tuned.

I decided to not use the used turbos, Im going to wait and go for precision turbo entry products, im looking at the 4831B MFS , until then ill be working the engine.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

heres a video of my autoX this weekend, bare with me guys ill upload pictures, im on my old labtop, my main cpu is broken right now, took me 2hrs to upload this lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCQwjkEza8I
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

this weekend i should be taking the block to the machine shop...
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

ill be uploading picturess today!! also im debating on going .20 over or just honing the cylinder walls, what is your take on that, and im weary of the machine shops, they all mostly v8 or american engine guys, is there anything specific to note for machine shopping a ka block????
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

i went to order eagle rods from O and J performance and they are out of stock??????? and im going with ARIAS pistons...
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

computer will be fixed this week....cost me $400 >8(....priorities first i guess and im still coming with it!! made some mistakes in some stuff i bought, but you live and learn!!!
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

shift_down wrote:We would like to see the frog please :D
testing out my phone, uploading to the photobucket app, maybe i can do this if it works

here's the frog, i messed up rolling the fenders, but i plan on getting fenders anway, tires are stretched....17x9.5 fronts and 17x9.75 rears

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Woooooo!
Looks cool!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

i plan on using nistune, but i still have auto ecu should i buy a manual one to send them, who has done nistune, from my research i like the idea of nistune, ill be learning on it. i think its the safest and easiest to learn on, from the site its 500 with the program and mod..then i will have to ship it to austraila, thats proably 150 right there....ill do more searching...still collecting parts, rods from O and J are on the way....
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

anybody running a .85 A/R exhuasted turbo around here? my question is, i really want to be able to cruise in my car, where i live there is nothing but straights and average speed limits of 70mph. Well at 70-80mph im at 3500-4000 rpms cruising. Now i dont know how the car will react, but will cruising at that speed keep me in boost? i would not like to be driving for an hour in boost. Alot of turbos i like are .63 A/R, ill proably hit boost around 3000-3500 with a t3. If i get a .85 A/R exhuast side ill hit boost later right? maybe 4000-4500 rpms That would suck though, since i autocross every now and then. Unless theres a way to change the gearing in the rear so i can cruise the highways and stay out of boost. Got alot to think about for the turbo set-up i see. But i never driven a ka24e with a turbo on the highways, with a t3 .63 A/R exhaust side is acceptable in cruising at 70-80mph. Does the size of the cold side of the turbo affect when boost comes on to, i think it does but not sure
Liteemup39496
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Liteemup39496 »

anybody running a .85 A/R exhuasted turbo around here? my question is, i really want to be able to cruise in my car, where i live there is nothing but straights and average speed limits of 70mph. Well at 70-80mph im at 3500-4000 rpms cruising. Now i dont know how the car will react, but will cruising at that speed keep me in boost? i would not like to be driving for an hour in boost. Alot of turbos i like are .63 A/R, ill proably hit boost around 3000-3500 with a t3. If i get a .85 A/R exhuast side ill hit boost later right? maybe 4000-4500 rpms That would suck though, since i autocross every now and then. Unless theres a way to change the gearing in the rear so i can cruise the highways and stay out of boost. Got alot to think about for the turbo set-up i see. But i never driven a ka24e with a turbo on the highways, with a t3 .63 A/R exhaust side is acceptable in cruising at 70-80mph. Does the size of the cold side of the turbo affect when boost comes on to, i think it does but not sure
to start no that is way to big of an a/r for a ka, and second thats not how turbo's work. turbo's are exhuast pressure based. ie: more air in = more air out. so while yes in 5th you will spool quickly if you throttle down cruising you will be off boost. .63a/r is just right for a ka.
i ran 11psi for 2.5 years on my 170k sohc on a 50trim
'89 KAe-T Coupe - on the road to a goal of 400whp with A/C
'91 Hatch - VH45 powered, track duty
'05 Titan - I/H/E VK56 - Tow rig and Daily
Single Jingle love
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

i figured that would be too big after doing more research, i just want to stay out of boost while cruising at 75-80 mph
Liteemup39496

Post by Liteemup39496 »

you want have any issues with that.idk if you plan to drift or have a highway warrior/toy.. i would reccommend switching to a longer ring gear, currently i have a j30 dif and 70mph is just under 3k rpm
Single Jingle love
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

id this turbo.....me and my friends came to a conclusion that its a t3 turbo...possibly a 60 trim....it say .63 AR on exhaust side...turbo is pictured with turbo that came with the RB20det

back side, i know its missing the external wastegate

if its benefits my build ill use it....i will also send it to get checked out
Liteemup39496

Post by Liteemup39496 »

looks like a t3 super60 they were common on early z31 turbos and mustang SVO/thunderbird turbo coupes.
solid turbo will spool really fast and should get you to about 300hp with a solid tune i dont reccomend more then 14-15 psi
Single Jingle love
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

computer is fixed...ftw!!
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

accidently ordered stock bore pistons from oandjperformance.com.....i think the drop down confused me lol i should be able to swap for the over bore ones right?
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

im going to stay with my stock bore.....now im torn between 550cc or 660cc injectors, power goal is 300-375whp i know thats a big gap
dzaster
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by dzaster »

You'll be at the upper IDC for 550cc if your are pushing the high number of that goal.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

i know nothing about turbo'ing, that the part im afraid of >8(