head gasket blown? KA24e T

Yup, post them single slammers here....
mythic540
Learners Permit

head gasket blown? KA24e T

Post by mythic540 »

Let me just give you the rundown of what has happened. I go on a long trip to the coast, everything is running great up until it starts raining. My 240 is turboed and has the air filter near the the tire because of all the intercooler piping that I had to make fit. Once I hit the rain my car starts hesitating. So I stop and surround the air filter with a plastic bag to prevent water hitting it because at this point its wet. Everything from there on is ok and I keep going. On the way back though I notice that theres something wrong, I feel that hesitation again and I keep driving it for a good hour until I stop at a gas station. I notice smoke coming from the engine so I check and theres coolant steaming out from under the intake manifold. I figured it was just a hose so I filled the radiator with water so I could just get home and fix it. Well on the way home I start hearing this metallic clunking that got louder and louder until I panicked and pulled to the side of the road. My car just died the minute I stopped completely and it would cease to start again. It cranks and cranks but nothing. I noticed that there was water coming out from in between the valve cover back near the downpipe. I think I might have blown a head gasket but isn't it possible that the engine can still run even with it blown? Im at a loss here and I'm about to just sell this car, but I figured why not ask on this forum for some help. I have no idea what has really gone wrong, all I know for sure is that theres a heater hose thats broken and there appears to be water leaking from in between the valve cover. Any suggestions or ideas you guys have would be so appreciated.
mythic540
Learners Permit

Re: head gasket blown? KA24e T

Post by mythic540 »

I also forgot to mention that when I had it towed, I noticed liquid coming from the tailpipe and it smelled like coolant.
ATL240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: head gasket blown? KA24e T

Post by ATL240 »

What is your ka-t tuned with? Make sure its not just a leak. And yes it can still run with a blown HG but usually white smoke will come out the exhaust. Do a compression test, when a HG blows it will lose compression where it blew. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out.