ka24e-t Build suddenly not running.

Yup, post them single slammers here....
Sock-T
Dreams of owning a 240!

ka24e-t Build suddenly not running.

Post by Sock-T »

Hey everyone.. so today has been a frustrating day for me. Yesterday i took my ka24e i built from top to bottom with upgraded internals awhile ago for a drive and it was driving well and handling the boost great. When i got home i let it idle for a minute and shut it off for the day.

Today i come out and try to crank it over and it just cranks and cranks with out starting.. Sometimes it will sputter and die but it will not idle.

So i made sure my timing was good and it was fine, i checked the cyl pressure on all cyls and its just under 150 PSI. I dont remember the exact oem specifications for the engine but its consistent with all cyls. They measure exactly the same on each one.

Then i pulled all the plugs and they spark great ( considering a bought them about 3 weeks ago and only driven the car twice since i installed them )

What i dont understand is why my engine would suddenly do this after driving good the day before ? I'm hoping there is no serious damage. But when i look down into the spark plug holes there is no marks ontop the pistons from any valve issues or valve timing issues.

My engine management is a basic Emance eeprom tune and im also running the safc II. with 370 cc injectors, 255 lph pump, and FPR.

Anyways, hoping there could possibly be some insight as to if this motor is gone or if there is an electrical issue or possibly both.

I've redone my timing at exactly TDC ( second notch on the crank pulley counting from left ) and same problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you !
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: ka24e-t Build suddenly not running.

Post by shift_down »

Did you do the usual diagnostic routine?
Did you check that you are getting spark and fuel?
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
2hunglow1standhi
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: ka24e-t Build suddenly not running.

Post by 2hunglow1standhi »

Ok so, you rebuilt the motor, it drove / boosted fine for a day, turned car off, then the next start it cranked only?

When it is sputtering and trying to idle? Whats the AFR's? Lean or rich?

Does the ECU red light switch off? Does it flash any codes? Did you look inside the ECU to see if the chip was seated? Whats your SAFC sensor check screen report for throttle and MAF voltage?

Did you try checking the spark plugs, right after cranking, just too see if they are saturated with gas- or completely dry?

Check for boost / VAC leaks?

The Timing should not be a problem due to you having it running the day before. If it jummped a tooth, you would be able to see this when you checked on the crank/cam/timing. Check also the oil pump gear shaft and distributor drive gears.

I personally would check the usual suspects like Shift says, fuel pump / filter, pressure at fuel regulator or fuel rail, injectors, distributor-remove the distributor/unplug coil spark wire -key on- spin the shaft and verify injectors click/spray accordingly, (if your getting good spark then this should eliminate the fuel side of things).

But? If you find that fuel and spark is good, then theres really only air left... (SOHC has lower compression - what compression pistons did you use for this build)? Because this would tell you if 150 across is good or not. Was this engine ever broken in after the build or are you breaking it in with boost? Just wondering....

So? Being that the tuned ECU needs sensors to give you the correct startup ratio for fuel/air/spark-timing, check the harness for any shorts, or breaks, or bad sensors... Mostly the MAF, CTS, (SOHC should have a idle switch also near the TPS), TPS, IACV, AAV. Use a multimeter and a FSM (for voltage and continuity tests) to see if you have any bad sensors, connections, or wires.
Saving KA24's... One at a time...