Oink(E) s13 build

Yup, post them single slammers here....
trin3
Learners Permit

Oink(E) s13 build

Post by trin3 »

Welcome to my build thread ladies and gentlemen.

My plans with OinkE is to turbo the single cam, squeeze out 300 piggies, go ham at drifting and dd, and keep this piece of bacon stock looking as possible.

This is my first car I bought back in November of 2013. It had a clean title, auto tranny, blown single cam :violin: but it was a complete car w/ ac, stereo, alarm etc . The dude wanted $1300, but my dad talked him down to $500 :happy-jumpeveryone: ( my dad's a good talker). I took it home with the intentions of build a drift/ dd car. At that time I knew at most how to change spark plugs, so this single cam was a good candidate for me to learn.
Oink(E)
Oink(E)
Oink(E)
Oink(E)
After doing some intense research, I decided to have at the motor and tore it out the chassis with some casualties: I busted the radiator, tore a motor mount and bent the core support. But it felt good because I was a noob and I did it on my own!! :happy-partydance: So ripped the motor open and it was grossgusting :obscene-tolietclaw:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Rust!!!
Rust!!!
Attachments
I struggled to to put the block on the stand lol
I struggled to to put the block on the stand lol
Last edited by trin3 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If no one from the future comes to stop you, how bad of a decision could it really be??
trin3
Learners Permit

Re: Oink(E) s13 build

Post by trin3 »

For a few months, I went through a mental break down about a decision most Silvia owners go through: WHAT SWAP SHOULD I DO!?!?!? :angry-banghead: should I rb, Ls, jz, ka-tt, sr, etc. I decided to go 1jz because it is a bullet proof motor, it's a cheaper rb26, and didn't want an sr. ( don't get me wrong, I like the sr, but that' swap is done way too much) I didn't have the money to do the swap right away so I bought another ka-e because I needed a whip. This ka had a 5spd tranny, complete harness and all accessories, a drop and go job. I ran into a road block on getting it to crank. Something was stopping the circuit from completing and the starter relay was blown.
The knob
The knob
The pedals
The pedals
:obscene-birdiered: so I improvised.
I bridged a wire from this to the starter
I bridged a wire from this to the starter
keep in mind wiring is my weakness in cars so if I have any wiring mess up, lmk!!

the car started for the first time, I noticed the oil pressure light and ignored it instead of searching for the meaning of the light because I just wanted to start drifting! So I drove it for 18 miles before the cam gear broke inside and threw the motor of time.
Attachments
The cam
The cam
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
If no one from the future comes to stop you, how bad of a decision could it really be??
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

nice saving this 240sx, it definitely got some history behind it
is that cruise control????

I went through the swap dilemma too. I took so damn long on deciding what to swap while I kept wrenching on the SOHC and fixing it, I became comfortable working on it and loving the motor. I became a hardcore ka24e fan, this motor has guts!! I find these motors to be more of an art than anything when people turbo them, they are so unique. They are like the engine bay ratrods of the 240s
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

After the head failure, I was mad because I was trying to save every penny possible for the 1jz swap I wanted to do. There was no other choice for me other than to buy another cylinder head. So I got one for $275 from the machine shop with the cam and everything, just another drop and go.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Noob power!!
Noob power!!
Got it up and running soon after it was put back together. Now at that time, my main concern was to get a clean smog in SoCal :laughing-rolling: so I tried about three times and just gave up. But on the last attempt to smog, I noticed the oil pressure light would come on at idle. I didn't want to make the same mistake twice so I immediately gave up on the car and decided to post it on Craigslist. Nobody responded to the ad for a day so I decided to keep the car and keep trying. Pulled the motor out and tore the block apart; noticed that there were chunks of metal, rocks, and some liquid gasket. :puke-huge: I've dropped the pan during the head replacement to check for pieces of the cam gear in it , so I decided to clean it. I used oil absorbent to clean out as much oil as possible (noob mistake :angry-banghead:)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The nasty pan
The nasty pan
Bearings
Bearings
While saving up more money I continued to research the 1jz and learned it wouldn't do me any favors going side ways. Long time thinking short, I decided I'll do a 1jz with a Lexus sc400 later on but that's another story off topic. I had my eye on some forged cp Pistons and eagle rods on eBay for ~$800 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Rod-CP-Pi ... 414f9982b1
I decided to stick with what I have and what I know and go down the ka-t path.
So as of the moment, I'm peicing together a turbo kit and parts to get the motor to see some boost!!
Attachments
image.jpg
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

Turnstyles wrote:nice saving this 240sx, it definitely got some history behind it
is that cruise control????

I went through the swap dilemma too. I took so damn long on deciding what to swap while I kept wrenching on the SOHC and fixing it, I became comfortable working on it and loving the motor. I became a hardcore ka24e fan, this motor has guts!! I find these motors to be more of an art than anything when people turbo them, they are so unique. They are like the engine bay ratrods of the 240s
Thanks for your support man!! That's the wire you have to loop to complete the starter circuit. It makes the auto ecu think it's in park. (Auto to manual conversion)

I was able to easily tear these engines apart because they're so simple. Idk people like to get rid of these motors, it's a waste of potential. But it suits us single cam lovers!! It's cheaper and more sources. :banana-dance:
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

oh yeah!! my bad I didn't point out what iwas looking at, I did the auto to manual conversion on mine awhile back too. I made mine so I can take it off and take it with me if I wanted too and the car wont start lol

Im talking about the steering wheel, if that is cruise control does it still work after the swap?
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

Turnstyles wrote:oh yeah!! my bad I didn't point out what iwas looking at, I did the auto to manual conversion on mine awhile back too. I made mine so I can take it off and take it with me if I wanted too and the car wont start lol

Im talking about the steering wheel, if that is cruise control does it still work after the swap?
Yea that's cruise control on the steering wheel. I never knew how to use control let alone in any car :confusion-shrug:
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

So it's been a while since I last updated my build thread and I gotta say there has been some progress. So I got my eagle rods, cp forged Pistons and clievete bearings in the mail and it all cost me a pretty penny but so worth it. Pistons were 89.5 and both main and rod bearings were .25 oversized. I couldn't figure out how to gap the piston rings so I had friend gap them and assemble the short block.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Rods
Rods
Pistons
Pistons
While he was doing that, I went turbo shopping! I got a custom 50 trim from these guys --->http://turbocharged.com/main.htm
I went with an eBay log style manifold for reliability purposes. I still need to figure out the downpipe and intercooler piping so my setup is still incomplete. It took me about 2 weeks to assemble the rest of the motor due to work, school and a noob mistake. I put the oil slinger on backwards which in turn, got caught between the oil pump drive gear and was crushed.
I'm a noob
I'm a noob
I got my oil feed and return lines figured out that way I can run ac also.
The kaT
The kaT
Notice the oil pans oil return sump?
Notice the oil pans oil return sump?
Im going to be breaking in the motor N/A while I figure out the rest of my setup.
What concerns me right now is that I'm getting a compression of 120psi in all cylinders and I've read that 150 psi is the bear minimum for boost application on the sohc ka. Im thinking the reason behind that is because the compression was lowered to 8.0, however, I'm going to keep researching this but if someone can chime in, it'll be much appreciated. With the turbo sitting inside the chassis, the bay seems a little tight. I forgot to mention that I painted the engine bay black and the way I've clocked the turbo ended up leaving a pretty big scratch. :angry-teeth:
Scratch
Scratch
Turbo sitting pretty
Turbo sitting pretty
Just about a week later, I got the motor to run for like 5 minutes before I realized I was a noob again :angry-screaming: . I was test driving the car on jack stands to ensure that I intsalled the clutch correctly and right when I went into third gear , the motor just shut off and wouldn't start anymore. I opened up the valve cover and saw that the camshaft gear came off because I forgot to torque it down.
My fault again
My fault again

I set the motor back on time and made sure I've torqued everything down to the correct specifications and the ka started to purr once again. It still needs a little tweaking because I want to run this 4 in 1 boost gauge I got from here--->http://www.elise-shop.com/high-precisio ... d321cebc55. The idle and suspension is a little of to become a daily/ weekend warrior. I have yet to get 550cc injectors, intercooler setup, exhaust setup, engine management, blow off valve, wastegate and I'm goin to be running an oil cooler along with a thermostat. For engine management, I've decided I'll go with the megasquirt pnp ecu from here --->http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-504.html. This build still has a long way to go. Feel free to leave me any comments, any words of wisdom or suggestions. I look forward to hearing them and will try to update the thread asap.
mookhaasa
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by mookhaasa »

Damn man. you have had alot of breakage in a short time. But you learned alot of what jot to do in a short time. I have done the improper oil slinger install. But it was dark and I was tired. So dont work on motors when you are sleepy. the block looks good Now tho. Sohc are fun and simple. And easier to work around the intake. Get a wide band right away When you are building it up.
Red 1989 240sx. Rb20det

Black S13 Coupe. About to be 5spd and turbo.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Good learning experience. Just take your time, double check everthing, and continue to read. Keep up the good work.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

nice!!! I heard on a freshly built motor the compression would go up when the engine breaks in and the rings settle in....I may be wrong, I would like to heard what someone has to say about that also....looks good
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

hey everyone, sorry its been so long since ive updated this thread. There has been a lot of progress here so ill begin in the order events occurred. I kinda got tired of dailying my 240and really wanted to boost it really bad so i had to buy another daily. i ended up getting a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe with 49k miles on it, brembo brake package and 6 speed transmission. this thing has some good power.
IMG_6974.JPG
driving the gt350 skyline is awsome so it made me decide to change my plans for the 240 a bit. i wanted to get 400hp instead of 300hp and make it a little bit more of a track car than a daily ( i decided not to run ac). Buying the infiniti kinda set me back on my build budget-wise so i continued to save. While saving, I really beat the crap out of my single cam and it just didnt give out. i practiced getting some skids down, and built up some of the suspension.
IMG_7087.JPG
One day while doing doughnuts, i held the throttle at around 6k rpms for a good 5 mins. hoping i would destroy my tires, it turns out the timing chain jumped a few teeth and the single cam wouldnt start anymore. It was a good opportunity get the car on jackstands and continue the build. i tore the motor apart and i question whether the shell V-Power fuel actually cleans the motor. It has some carbon build up near the top of the bore and not sure what to think of it.
IMG_7398.JPG
anyways, i really dont want the timing chain to jump teeth again so i put in a longer piston in to the tensioner off of an 05 altima. ive tried machining a spacer for it but i wouldnt be able to intall the tensioner. ive seen a guy on youtube do the spacer mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Nb2Y8IWjM

i got it all back together not long after and bought an intercooler kit from cx racing. IMO the kit sucked. BOV was crap, i had to buy extra couplers because it didnt come with enough of the ones that go from 3" to 2.25" even though the kit required them. i got the intercooler kit figured out, installed it on the car along with the turbo and it started. it didnt run as well because i was running stock ecu, injectors, maf and i didnt recirculate the BOV.
IMG_7747.JPG
IMG_7612.JPG
trin3
Learners Permit

Post by trin3 »

Little by little, i got the car to run better by learning how the forced induction system works and doing extensive research. I finally saved enough money so i got the MS2 ecu and 720cc injectors. the MS2 PNP ecu is quite simple to use. They have step-by-step instructions on how to set the ecu up. I was able to tune the required fuel and set the timing onto the standalone. This was quite the experience for tuning your own car. The car was running super rich so i was going through spark plugs pretty quick and shooting flames everywhere.
IMG_8884.PNG
FullSizeRender.jpg
The plans for this car in the near future hopefully is to get it tuned at Church Automotive in SoCal, upgrade to front cts-v calipers,and run dual rear wilwood calipers with a hydro e break. also swap to either a z33 or z32 tranny with a q45 diff.

Ill post my dyno runs as soon as i get it tuned so stay posted!!