Light Turbo Build Help

Yup, post them single slammers here....
95nissand21
NooB

Light Turbo Build Help

Post by 95nissand21 »

I've got a 95' Hardbody with the single cam Ka24 that I decided ill finally join the club and boost it. Now, im fairly new to this idea and i understand the basics, but ill need help decided what kit to grab and whatnot. First of all, im keeping it low, 200hp tops. Ive heard i wont need to run an intercooler with that small of boost, but you tell me. Thanks in advance by the way. Im hearing alot about upgrading my fuel system. Is that really necessary for a small build? If so could anyone direct me around injectors, management, and whatnot? Im basically starting from scratch and dont even know which turbo or what kit to choose from.Trying to keep this low budget as well, hence the "small build." Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Re: Light Turbo Build Help

Post by Adrenalin »

Hi,

If you haven't already, read the sohc turbo build for dummies and sohc build up parts list post at the top of the sohc kat section. For further understanding of turbo selections and how turbo systems work, check out the Garrett by Honeywell website. There is also an app on the website to help size and select a turbo for your goals.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135
95nissand21
NooB

Post by 95nissand21 »

Thanks for that info! Ive already read the turbo for dummies page. I just dont quite understand all the terms and whatnot. I found this kit on amazon, maybe this is my first problem, let me know if amazons even a place worth shopping lol but here it is. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2708964991 ... =82&chn=ps

Is a T3/T4 too big for what i have in mind?
Adrenalin
240sx Wannabe

Post by Adrenalin »

Sorry can't help you there.
I have no experience with buying kits.

That said, looking at the cost of the kit and the information supplied, its pretty generic and cheap for what you get.
It will definitely serve the purpose you want it to, but I don't like cheap no name turbos.
Most are Chinese made Garrett knock offs.
I prefer to buy used OEM turbos or new quality gear. But entirely up to you and your budget.
I've heard some people have good luck with chinese turbos and others have them fail after short use (quality issues).

As far as size, slightly hard to say given there is no compressor map...
The supplier has likely roughly sized it for the budget build, low power application.
It says it can make an extra 150hp at 15psi. So 290hp @ 15psi....
Go to the dyno section of the forum and you can see that a lot of guys are making 300hp+ on less than 15 psi.
So who knows what the cfm and efficiency of turbo is.
D21 Pickup in the build - Powered by hybrid KA-R
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60135