So how exactly do you drift?

Non-technical 240sx stuff in here.

So how exactly do you drift?

Postby theguywithaplan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:22 am

I just got my 240 running and put a welded diff in.

I've been trying things out on the street but not seeing much progress.

With the welded diff I can almost get the back end to slide out in first gear merely by pushing the gas pedal to the floor

On the street at 20-30 mph I've tried a few clutch kicks but all that happens is the tail wags once or twice. I don't know if I'm just not holding the gas long enough or what....

I haven't been to a track yet. I just got my car put together and the first even of the year is in the beginning of march. I'd like to have some idea of how to drift so I don't look like a fool out there.

and how hard can you beat on a DE? Like bouncing off the rev limiter throughout a drift? Or do you have to be more gentle and keep it at 5k rpms or so?
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am

Postby sdaigle240 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:05 am

yeah events are great becuase:

you wont get arrested
you will be less fearless in an open lot or track you can spin off of.
you'll have access to GOOD drivers who are more than willing to help you.


i got decent by hanging out with kids that are good.

its hard to type out what to do and when to do it. it just happens i do a lot of things i dont remember untill i see a video of myself afterwards.

if you have a lot u feel safe in i would start off doing circles, like big donuts. drive at the limit till you feel comfortable then start sliding with a lil angle. push that till you feel good then try turning them into figure 8s. transitions will take a lil to get used to. timing of when you get off the gas and back on it is what keeps you from spinning.

i know a dood really good at skidding a stock DE. dont be afraid to bang limiter and kick that clutch MANY times in a turn as powers required.
Last edited by sdaigle240 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
Image
hy35 18psi Build Thread: forums/viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
User avatar
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!
 
Posts: 4670
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 am
Location: CONN.

Postby wesamiss » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 am

sdaigle240 wrote:u need to go to events for a few reasons.

you wont get arrested
you will be less fearless in an open lot or track you can spin off of.
you'll have access to GOOD drivers who are more than willing to help you.


i got decent by hanging out with kids that are good.

its hard to type out what to do and when to do it. it just happens i do a lot of things i dont remember untill i see a video of myself afterwards.


+2.4


seriously. go to an event. dont be an idiot
WES
User avatar
wesamiss
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postby FlatBlack » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:31 am

Another one for not being a dumbass kid and 'street drifting'

These cars love to understeer. Don't overdrive the car [yanking the wheel, etc] and the back end will come around. Wait for the oversteer before you go banging on the throttle.

I removed my front sway bar [I have really heavy front springs] and added a power brace to help reduce understeer.
89 240SX Coupe
02 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L 4x4
03 Kawasaki 636 ZX-6R
77 Honda Trail 70 140cc swap
User avatar
FlatBlack
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:09 am
Location: U of A Fayetteville

Postby schmauster920 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 am

Video games like dirt3, gran turismo and forza are a good starting point but you still have to pay attn to how the car is moving
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
User avatar
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!
 
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: CA

Postby sdaigle240 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I grew up on a dirt road with a quad lol
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
Image
hy35 18psi Build Thread: forums/viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
User avatar
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!
 
Posts: 4670
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 am
Location: CONN.

Postby theguywithaplan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 pm

sdaigle240 wrote:yeah events are great becuase:

you wont get arrested
you will be less fearless in an open lot or track you can spin off of.
you'll have access to GOOD drivers who are more than willing to help you.


i got decent by hanging out with kids that are good.

its hard to type out what to do and when to do it. it just happens i do a lot of things i dont remember untill i see a video of myself afterwards.

if you have a lot u feel safe in i would start off doing circles, like big donuts. drive at the limit till you feel comfortable then start sliding with a lil angle. push that till you feel good then try turning them into figure 8s. transitions will take a lil to get used to. timing of when you get off the gas and back on it is what keeps you from spinning.

i know a dood really good at skidding a stock DE. dont be afraid to bang limiter and kick that clutch MANY times in a turn as powers required.


So with a stock DE it has enough power to maintain a doughnut or a figure eight? And I'll definitely ask for guys to ride along with me to let me know what to do at the upcoming event.

FlatBlack wrote:Another one for not being a dumbass kid and 'street drifting'

These cars love to understeer. Don't overdrive the car [yanking the wheel, etc] and the back end will come around. Wait for the oversteer before you go banging on the throttle.

I removed my front sway bar [I have really heavy front springs] and added a power brace to help reduce understeer.


I know not to street drift, I'm only practicing in a lot near my house and on back roads when no one is around.
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am

Postby 500hpKA240sx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3MAmVpAbEo

RIP THAT E-BRAKE! just dont hurt mona... ;)

but on a serious note. just practice
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
User avatar
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: Bourbon, MO

Postby sdaigle240 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RlC0vPOLBg&sns=em


Wet but that's the car. YouTube dfaction dereck of driftfaction dereck.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
Image
hy35 18psi Build Thread: forums/viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
User avatar
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!
 
Posts: 4670
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:53 am
Location: CONN.

Postby Chris28 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Don't drift on the street, not only is it dumb but you'll hit a curb and nobody likes that.

If you can't get to a track, at least find a huge parking lot with nothing around. Turn the wheel to full lock in 1st gear and do very slow circles. Once you feel comfortable push in the clutch for a second, let the engine rev, then dump the clutch. Keep steering until the back of the car comes out, then let go of the wheel. Once the car countersteers itself grab the wheel and continue drifting donuts. At that point you can increase the size of the donuts and/or transfer and start doing donuts the other way.

The hardest thing to teach people is that if that they need to let go of the wheel. The car will countersteer for you, if you hang onto it you're just going to understeer. A stock KA can drift perfectly fine.

Watch the steering wheel in this video, not that it really matters but I was NA for this event so it can be done. Also don't mind the gratuitous use of the handbrake, it's a bad habit I'm trying to break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uVz6cJPXQ
Chris28
240sx Wannabe
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:51 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Postby theguywithaplan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Chris28 wrote:Don't drift on the street, not only is it dumb but you'll hit a curb and nobody likes that.

If you can't get to a track, at least find a huge parking lot with nothing around. Turn the wheel to full lock in 1st gear and do very slow circles. Once you feel comfortable push in the clutch for a second, let the engine rev, then dump the clutch. Keep steering until the back of the car comes out, then let go of the wheel. Once the car countersteers itself grab the wheel and continue drifting donuts. At that point you can increase the size of the donuts and/or transfer and start doing donuts the other way.

The hardest thing to teach people is that if that they need to let go of the wheel. The car will countersteer for you, if you hang onto it you're just going to understeer. A stock KA can drift perfectly fine.

Watch the steering wheel in this video, not that it really matters but I was NA for this event so it can be done. Also don't mind the gratuitous use of the handbrake, it's a bad habit I'm trying to break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uVz6cJPXQ


Should I learn to drift with the e-brake? I've seen a lot of people do it, even a lot o the better drifters in my area.

And the problem is finding a lot. What places don't mind and what places do? i'm guessing walmart would be pissed about drifting in their lot. A lot of the parking lots in my area have a lot of grassy curb things just out in the middle of the area so its hard to find a place...
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am

Postby emo_tactical9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:38 pm

theguywithaplan wrote:
Chris28 wrote:Don't drift on the street, not only is it dumb but you'll hit a curb and nobody likes that.

If you can't get to a track, at least find a huge parking lot with nothing around. Turn the wheel to full lock in 1st gear and do very slow circles. Once you feel comfortable push in the clutch for a second, let the engine rev, then dump the clutch. Keep steering until the back of the car comes out, then let go of the wheel. Once the car countersteers itself grab the wheel and continue drifting donuts. At that point you can increase the size of the donuts and/or transfer and start doing donuts the other way.

The hardest thing to teach people is that if that they need to let go of the wheel. The car will countersteer for you, if you hang onto it you're just going to understeer. A stock KA can drift perfectly fine.

Watch the steering wheel in this video, not that it really matters but I was NA for this event so it can be done. Also don't mind the gratuitous use of the handbrake, it's a bad habit I'm trying to break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uVz6cJPXQ


Should I learn to drift with the e-brake? I've seen a lot of people do it, even a lot o the better drifters in my area.

And the problem is finding a lot. What places don't mind and what places do? i'm guessing walmart would be pissed about drifting in their lot. A lot of the parking lots in my area have a lot of grassy curb things just out in the middle of the area so its hard to find a place...



GO TO AN EVENT.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
User avatar
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!
 
Posts: 3086
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:21 am
Location: Bowling Green, KY

Postby theguywithaplan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:47 pm

emo_tactical9 wrote:GO TO AN EVENT.


I understand that. But what I"m trying to do is gain experience so I don't look like a fool. Hopefully my car passes tech inspection. Its kind of ghetto rigged.
theguywithaplan
Dreams of owning a 240!
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:12 am

Postby Walperstyle » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Don't be retarded, go learn at an event so you learn not to look like a fool. Its not like we are trying to tell you to try to enter in Formula D. (guess what, you don't qualify anyway).

Events are put in place to keep fools off the street. You don't know what you are doing, and 20+ year old e-brake cables just don't have the power to make you maaad-tight, so just get registered to an open event, and ride along with some guys before you go by yourself. Its all part of the game man.

...also, don't drift your daily driver. If you need the car for work, you can't afford to have it in race events.



you are also going about this all wrong. You give a **** about what people think about you. Stop trying to please other people. Then, determine if you want to learn how to drift or not. If yes, then you will do it, if no, then do something YOU like.
Image
User avatar
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!
 
Posts: 2516
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:32 pm
Location: Red Deer

Postby wesamiss » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:18 pm

alright dude....

take your car
put a welded diff in it
put coilovers on
get some spare wheels and tires
go to a track and....


JUST DRIFT

Yes a KA24E/DE you can drift.
WES
User avatar
wesamiss
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Postby mmmS13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Like everyone else said go to an event. Also remember that noone is perfect, even good drifters can still spin out and mess up. The only way you can look like a fool is to show up with your car that just hit a curb the weekend before because you were "practicing".
Just practice drifting in a safe area.

Event + Have fun + Learn the car = fun times. :D
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

forums/viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

forums/viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
mmmS13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:50 pm
Location: SoCal

Postby beercandrifter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 am

insert fast and furious quotes here:
"Now i want you to pull the ebrake, then power over."
"Dumfounded look"
"You know what, just dont hurt mona."


agree with these guys, go ride along with someone and get a feel for how they are doing it before trying yourself, and go to an event and take someone along with you when your ready. also, the de is more than capable of doing some drifting, cant speak for the sohc
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
User avatar
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Postby 500hpKA240sx » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

theguywithaplan wrote:
emo_tactical9 wrote:GO TO AN EVENT.


I understand that. But what I"m trying to do is gain experience so I don't look like a fool. Hopefully my car passes tech inspection. Its kind of ghetto rigged.


Who cares if your not out drifting like a pro. your learning and anyone to say anything or talk **** to you would be a fcuking waste of space and just tell the to fcuk off and keep walking. even the best drifter in the world at one point lost a drift and wasnt always perfect.

everyone will say the same thing practice practice and more practice...thats all
watch this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSkWW4PAjp0

watch how he lets the car steer for him (letting go of the wheel and when the body transfers over it will correct itself and when the wheel gets where you want it grab it) also another thing is listen and watch when he clutch kicks to keep the rear spinning. always keep in mind if you hold the wheel when your exiting a drift and you dont let the car correct its self you will oversteer right off the road. so like everyone said try to do this on a course or big empty parking lot. and not using the e-brake vs using it its all preference IMO using it does help to get the right entrance you want it gives you a little bit more control thats just me tho. GL and have fun.
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
User avatar
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 pm
Location: Bourbon, MO

Re: So how exactly do you drift?

Postby deaconwest » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:30 am

If your not good at it thats somewhat a good thing. I normally drift better going counter clockwise around the ring. Its better to not learn bad habits or comfort zones. Its relatively easy, you want to break the wheels free by eliminating HICAS if you have it, preferrably a locking diff to keep both wheels spinning or you can shim your existing diff, the ideal HP number for drifting for a 240/180 is 300hp this is the number most drifters here in Japan like to stick too.

The trick is steer, and counter steer, so you want to hit the turn as a steady speed then flip the wheel to get the tail from under the car sideways, once the tail is side ways in order to maintain that angle you have to counter steer and play rev and release unless you have a drift brake then you can just rev and pull rev and pull.

Its actually not that hard, but hard on your car, I find going fast alot more fun then going side ways but it is a cool thing to experiance, I would do it in a beater otherwise you may ruin the rear end or side of your car by T-Boning...

Goodluck and once you try it post it up here so we can watch you improve :)

Oh also you dont want to have drag radials on your car when drifting I have seen it done and I have NO CLUE what this guy was thinking and his Diff must have shared my sentiments ;)
deaconwest
Learners Permit
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:56 am

Re: So how exactly do you drift?

Postby cleantune » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:00 am

.
PLEASE go to an event at the beginning of the season and don't worry about looking like a fool, its all part of learning and then if it really matters THAT much just use it as motivation to try harder and get better. Remember, there are other people who are going to look like fools at the track; especially at the beginning of the season.

The tech inspection part is for YOUR safety and EVERYONE else's safety on the track. Some stuff being "ghetto rigged" is okay as long as it meets their requirements. At tech they are mainly looking for dripping leaks (like if when a car pulled away from the tech area it left a puddle of something that isn't water) and making sure there is nothing that may pose a potential problem (like no battery tiedown, wrong type of fuel hose clamps, dragging wires, etc).

Its not worth the risk to learn drifting on the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI
.
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn
User avatar
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: 610

Re:

Postby cathydeco07 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Walperstyle wrote:Don't be retarded, go learn at an event so you learn not to look like a fool. Its not like we are trying to tell you to try to enter in Formula D. (guess what, you don't qualify anyway).

Events are put in place to keep fools off the street. You don't know what you are doing, and 20+ year old e-brake cables just don't have the power to make you maaad-tight Assurance dépendance, so just get registered to an open event, and ride along with some guys before you go by yourself. Its all part of the game man.

...also, don't drift your daily driver. If you need the car for work, you can't afford to have it in race events.



you are also going about this all wrong. You give a **** about what people think about you. Stop trying to please other people. Then, determine if you want to learn how to drift or not. If yes, then you will do it, if no, then do something YOU like.

You're absolutely right, but the pieces are becoming scarce. It's the worry and we do not have much time to poke around.
cathydeco07
NooB
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Re: So how exactly do you drift?

Postby cleantune » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm

^spam????
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn
User avatar
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: 610


Return to Car Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron