car gps tracker?

Non-technical 240sx stuff in here.
ispentallmymoneyontires
Encyclopedia-Nissan

car gps tracker?

Post by ispentallmymoneyontires »

ok so with my roomates car getting stolen right out front of my house even though i live in a really chill neighborhood i've been thinking about what could happen when i get my baby running/ turbo'ed/nice. is some dirtbag just going to come and rip me off and i get screwed out of 3years work and money spent?!?! security systems i think are kinda useless because if they know what they are doing then it wouldnt be hard to bypass/turn off a system so i was thinking a hidden gps unit and a seceret fuel cutoff switch should be the best route this way when they steal it i can go find them, and beat the ever living sh!t out of them and burn their house down :twisted: because thats how i roll. or if i get there and my car is already chopped/messed up i can let police know instantly where they are, and i collect insurance while knowing they are gonna get ass raped.

so do you guys have any experience with any gps tracking security devices an which would you recomend best bang for your buck?

lol i was thinking of just leaving a nextel in it lol
There are many paths to Enlightenment: but no one said they can't be taken sideways.
89'hatch rustolum black/96'motor s13 new trans/OBD1 convert/F1 flywheel/DSS steel driveshaft/headers, testpipe, egay N1dual/ JGS poly engine, tranny/ Cory's Coil mod

RIP 480sx
lov2xlr8
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by lov2xlr8 »

sounds good. but i have no experience with them... i've hear company's are making a device and selling their service to track the device you bought no matter when it is atached to. all you need is an internet conection. but i don;t know the name or where to get it...
a quick sear on the net will get you there, i would do but i was on my was to bed and i HAVE to come by the forums everytime i see this computer on stand-by...
anyways i with you with all of your ideas ("and beat the ever living sh!t out of them and burn their house down")... :lol:
also. getting a cheap used BOOST MOBILE or NEXTEL phone and hiding it somewhere on the car is not a bad idea. you don't need to activate it with the company for what you want. there is also hacks for motorola phones and free programs available so you can track them free without paying a monthly service and they use the google maps satellite...
obby
240sx Wannabe

Post by obby »

lov2xlr8 wrote:motorola phones and free programs available so you can track them free without paying a monthly service and they use the google maps satellite...
...lolwut? I didn't know Google had satellites.

I've gone down this shopping path before, and honestly, you're better off with Lojack(coverage/locally equipped cops permitting). I looked at various GPS tracking systems and it came down to this:

WTF am I going to do with the coordinates of my car if it gets stolen? Bring a gun and possibly get myself killed recovering a bunch of metal and bolts?

Get something your local police force endorses and uses. You are not Solid Snake.
240racr
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by 240racr »

Supertech pistons (10.5:1), eagle rods,
cometic headgasket
Precision T3/T4
mild p&p, pdm tri-flow turbo cams, custom exhaust, ETS mani and dump
Fully balanced rotating assembly, ACT clutch
AMS Fuel Kit (65lb injectors), meth/water injection, ebay fmic,
elec fans, z32 brakes, AEM EMS
360WHP
ispentallmymoneyontires
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ispentallmymoneyontires »

actually i AM Solid Snake 8)

but i like to let the police handle my light work :P

lojack looks good but i havent found any prices yet anyone know?
There are many paths to Enlightenment: but no one said they can't be taken sideways.
89'hatch rustolum black/96'motor s13 new trans/OBD1 convert/F1 flywheel/DSS steel driveshaft/headers, testpipe, egay N1dual/ JGS poly engine, tranny/ Cory's Coil mod

RIP 480sx
Spud5251
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Spud5251 »

since im reading more and more about stolen vehicles i think im g ing to do the same thing and get lojack on my car also. since im almost finished installing my suspension, i think full coverage is about to go back on my S14.

does anyone know if you can locate your car with lojack yourself? of can police only do that?
Too much to list.

KA26DE-T in the making. BC Stroker Kit, Kelford 272's, borg warner s258 (18-20 psi)9.5 to 1 compression, Full Race Twin Scroll, and a few more goodies.....
iaredam
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by iaredam »

Spud5251 wrote: does anyone know if you can locate your car with lojack yourself? of can police only do that?
Only the police, and also check the coverage areas, make sure the police around you have the equipment to locate it.
NizzmoS13
240sx Wannabe

Post by NizzmoS13 »

Ive heard of using one of those cheap phones with gps and putting them somewhere hidden under the car, I think theres even a kit you can buy where you can hook it up so its always got power, pretty cheap gps alarm. I just use a kill switch for now but with all the shady tow trucks runnin around am also thinking gps is the route to go.
ZiG
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by ZiG »

I've got a gps phone and a kill switch in mine. The great thing about the phone is it doesnt need to be activated. It just needs to be on and have the car adapter plugged into it, and then hardwired. You need the serial number or gps serial number or whatever the hell it is, and then you can just give that to the phone company and they can track it.

Oh and take the whole phone/adapter bundle and saran wrap it or something.
240luvr

Post by 240luvr »

Fuel cut switch... / Battery kill switch... hidden....
and go out and buy yourself a boot... lol... you pull in you throw the boot on the front tire... you back in you throw it on the rear... that'll slow down a tow truck driver...

but the way I see it is.... if they want it... they're gonna get it... Lojack is a good idea if your local police have the equipment... cause it's a good idea to have the police take care of it anyway...

'91 Hatch, White LE... Fully Built, KA24DET - 375whp-DynoDynamics
89dc240

Post by 89dc240 »

Lojack is $750-$800 to be installed on a Harley Davidson. They charge 3 hours for the tech, sorry, for the shop at $75 an hour. then the rest is the cost of the unit so like $500-600 for the unit I guess. You also have to have a certain person put it in. Lojack goes to each place and certifies it's installers. They have to completely install/hide a lojack, and have it work in 3 hours. And then they have to do it to two more times too.

Seems like a decent plan, but expensive. I'm definitley interested in the phone you can track by yourself online. I mean around here, if I could find out where it was, I'd be 20 steps ahead of the cops who probably think I stole it myself anyway.

I'll die for my car. 8)