Why do you own your 240?

Non-technical 240sx stuff in here.
NeverSatisfied
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Why do you own your 240?

Post by NeverSatisfied »

Bored. Thought some answers might be interesting and I would like to hear other's opinions. What made you choose your 240 over the hundreds of other cars out there? If you hadn't bought your 240, what would you have gotten instead and why?

I chose mine specifically because of the way it is built. DOHC, large inline 4, rwd, and cast iron block that can handle the boost I will be forcing down it's throat. I wanted a hatch, and its comparatively a pretty lightweight chassis, I wanted something with torque without compromising gas mileage. And it was in my price range. I couldn't justify paying more than 2k for a car I will be rebuilding.

If I hadn't got my baby, I was considering picking up an old impreza sedan, awd conversion and turbo.

Whats your story?
If its worth doing, its worth overdoing.
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

I own mine because for the money, there is no other type of car with as many build options or as active and diverse a community. Whatever you are into, you can do in a 240....and do it with the correct wheels being driven....the ***** rear.

Show me another community that has dissected enough of the engineering behind the platform to enable you to swap pretty much any motor/tranny combo into it. Granted a decent fab shop, or race car builder can stuff anything into a typical rear drive car, but with the 240, I can literally buy kits online and do it myself, in my driveway.

Drag Racing,
Drifting,
Time Attack.
SCCA
NASA
Rally (sorta - well NICO has at least 1 rally 240)

You can buy and build a 240 to be ultra competitive in any of these sports for comparatively little money.

And its just flat out a pleasure to drive, Even bone stock with a 5 speed, 13 years old, I get 26-28 MPG, the ride quality is decent, and its a pleasure to throw into just about any corner. I get compliments all the time on my Kouki,

last week, and this is the honest truth, I was pulled over by a Cop that just wanted to know what kinda car it was.

Put a smile on my face all day.

When all the fanboys have left, all that will be left are the people that trully love this car. It is becoming a modern classic day by day, and being helped as its herd is thinned.. And for that, I am glad that I have owned as many of them as I have.

Just an Idea of my car history: my age)- make/model - details

17)- 91 Jetta - first car, great except for its slushbox - dealer traded for saturn

18)- 94 Saturn SL2 - surprisingly reliable, - dealer traded for the Eclipse

19)- 84 200SX - gift from my uncle, first car that I actually wrenched on, never made it on the road (junked)

19)- 84 Chevy 1500 - , got it for $200, never registered, sold to a friend, still on the road today

20)- 96 Eclipse Spyder GS - First car payment, when the clutch went after 2 years it spent 2 more years on jack stands for a project that never finished - sold for $1500

22)- 99 Dodge Stratus - loaner from parents while the eclipse was apart, blew the tranny

22)- 96 Nissan Quest - loaner number 2, ran on 4/6 cylinders forever - parents traded for another car.

23)- 91 240 Hatch - what I consider my first "real" car, terrible shock tower rust - eventually parted out

24)- 90 240 Hatch - towed back from RI, parted out, kept the motor for the zenki

25)- 96 240 - This is the one, this is when I fell in love with 240s....

25)- 84 200SX - supposed to be a home for the SR that never went into the zenki, junked

25)- 03 Triumph Bonneville - sold the SR swap an bought a bike, sold the bike for a GTO

26)- 96 SC300 - zenki was totaled out, needed a car, wanted to get something that I wouldn't mod.

26)- 82 CBR 450 - bought and sold to a friend, still on the road today

26)- 04 GTO - still had the new car smell, there was no real community, sold for my new 240

28)- 88 S10 - 22 years old and it runs awesome, best $600 car I've ever had.

28)- 97 240 - My new baby, there is at least 1 moment every day where I am glad that I bought this car and sold the GTO.

28)- 91 24 Hatch - got my car to trade his civic for this bish....so I count it as my car as well.
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

My dad got it(fastback) for me right before I turned 17. He paid a whopping $600 for it. I'm 25 now...holy sht how everything has changed. Fanbois make me sick and if I didn't love my car id get rid of it.

The car sits waaaaay more than it gets driven, lately it rarely gets worked on...I still refuse to let it go tho.

Id like to get into a c6 Z06 in the future. You know, a big boy car :D
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Because a z33 is too much for me to own and modify. One day. So until I make more money, S13 all the way.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

Reason: If you put $20,000 into your s13, you have a car that competes with $120,000 cars.

I'm building my car simply to piss off Porsche Owners in the mountains.
NeverSatisfied

Post by NeverSatisfied »

Walperstyle wrote:Reason: If you put $20,000 into your s13, you have a car that competes with $120,000 cars.

I'm building my car simply to piss off Porsche Owners in the mountains.
:werd:
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

at the moment, i have a 5.0 V8 engine in the event my KA-T doesnt work out. I may turbo that in my 240 yet 8) ...but thats a couple years away.
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

I own mine because they are cheap and lots of them around. Aftermarket is huge too. Modding is expensive, but for us it's cheaper than most other cars that are a RWD platform.

Once I graduate from college next year I'll buy something else.

These cars are a great learning tool too. I've learned more from modding this car than I ever will. And it didn't break the bank in the process.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

One great thing about owning a 240, is when you go to a meet, you see other people's cars and their setups. Then you realize that your setup is straight. No smoking, good power, no issues, cruise back home, put her in the garage for a good nights sleep and enjoy the car. It is the best feeling.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
nismo_dreaming

Post by nismo_dreaming »

Great thread you've started here. Excited to see what a lot of the "O G's" respond with....

I got into 240's sort of by accident. I've always been a BIG Z fan and was dead set on saving up money and getting a Z32 for my first car. My father picked me up an old Ford pickup for my first car and I got a full time job at a local hardware store and began saving.

When my father caught wind I was trying to buy a twin turbo sports car at only 16.....he put that idea to an end pretty quickly knowing the trouble I'd be getting myself into. I started researching other platforms and immediately was drawn to the S14 chassis. It had everything I was originally in love with the Z, but was at a HP range my parents could sleep easy with, and a cost that I could actually afford. I got my first Black 95 S14 for only $2500. It wasn't in the best exterior shape, but the engine ran super strong and didn’t leak a single drop. When I took it out for a test drive....I immediately fell in love.

I'm on S14 number 3 now (still own my 97 Kouki who's sleeping without a heart :( ) and can honestly say I'll own an S chassis one way or another the rest of my life. Both my younger brother's own s14's and have in one way or another caught the bug. In my opinion, there is no other tuner car that can offer the extreme following, low beginning cost, and available swap options with any and all engine combinations under the sun. And let us not forget the best part.....RWD 8)

Building and working on cars has also transcended into my personal life and career. Working on car's can be the most insanely frustrating thing imaginable...and if you take your time and get thru it, you've grown and become a better person for it. My work ethic and patience grew from those tough times. I know that I ended up not taking college seriously due to my love of cars, but I don’t regret a single day for it. The friendships, experiences, and knowledge I've gained from this great little car are something I’m eternally grateful for.
1996 240sx SE LS1
Spike
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Spike »

When i had mine I got it because I liked how they looked and still do, plus being RWD you can't go wrong.
www.WestEndTuners.com

2011 Yamaha R6 - Summer ride
2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4 - Daily Driver
1999 Integra - Track car
ICEMAN.KCMO

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

I own mine because they do not offer a lease programe anymore.... they say, "that car was built in 1992!" or "It is too old!" or "They don't even offer that model anymore!"

Thats what nissan said when i asked, so i was stuck wity buying one...
Steve.
NeverSatisfied

Post by NeverSatisfied »

Good. Leasing a car is stupid.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

wow yeah, I'd never lease a 20 year old car
Spike
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Spike »

I do plan on buying another S13 tho. I miss drifting and RWD
www.WestEndTuners.com

2011 Yamaha R6 - Summer ride
2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4 - Daily Driver
1999 Integra - Track car