No airbag insurance problems?

Non-technical 240sx stuff in here.
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

No airbag insurance problems?

Post by Freise »

When I bought my car, the airbag light was flashing. When I had it inspected, my mechanic said he basically didn't know if it would actually deploy or not, it was going to cost an arm and a leg to replace them, and I've heard that the effectiveness of mid 90's airbag technology is questionable to begin with.

With these points aside, I'm preparing to throw in a new steering wheel, and a thought occurred:
In the situation where someone else hits me, and their insurance is suppose to pay for the damages, can they use the fact that I removed the airbags as an excuse not to cover the damage? I think right now it's not an issue because I could say they are at least there and they just didn't deploy, but I figure if they get the chance to see my car and realize it's been "tampered" with they would jump on that in a heartbeat.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
s13halfs15
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: No airbag insurance problems?

Post by s13halfs15 »

Freise wrote:When I bought my car, the airbag light was flashing. When I had it inspected, my mechanic said he basically didn't know if it would actually deploy or not, it was going to cost an arm and a leg to replace them, and I've heard that the effectiveness of mid 90's airbag technology is questionable to begin with.

With these points aside, I'm preparing to throw in a new steering wheel, and a thought occurred:
In the situation where someone else hits me, and their insurance is suppose to pay for the damages, can they use the fact that I removed the airbags as an excuse not to cover the damage? I think right now it's not an issue because I could say they are at least there and they just didn't deploy, but I figure if they get the chance to see my car and realize it's been "tampered" with they would jump on that in a heartbeat.
this depends on the insurance company and ware you were hit.most time the air bags are never looked at unless the customer says something or they been set off. working in a auto body shop you be suprized how many cars dont have there bags set off even if the rear end someone. I do know that removing them is highly illegal but you can disarm it by unplugging it only after the battery been unplugged for 10 man.
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

guessing they could deny you medical coverage for it, but your steering wheel had nothing to do with you getting in a wreck unless it straight up falls off.

inspections are a different story, you need working safety gear to pass inspections
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring