Does running a turbo under its efficency island effect life?

Non-technical 240sx stuff in here.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Does running a turbo under its efficency island effect life?

Post by schmauster920 »

I feel like its a dumb question but i would rather ask

So im running a big T4 at 4psi for a while until i install my megasquirt2.

I know running a turbo too fast, therefore out of its efficiency range is bad for the life of it.

I assume running a turbo on the low end of efficiency (like i am) does not effect its life.. but i just wanted to confirm

On a side note i love my twin scroll mitsu heavy industries turbo. The housing is gigantic and I get a few psi by 2400 rpm if i lug it out. It hits hard around 4k. Im very happy so far. I believe its off a mitsu fuso. Once i crank the boost i can truly confirm its badassery on a ka-t and as a competitor for the holset perhaps.

MHI mafia bitches!
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
LPime001
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by LPime001 »

I think it would depend on what that compressor map looks like. That big turbo, producing pressure so low may put you to the left of the surge line.

Do you hear surging while on the throttle at full boost?
If not, your probably ok.
Turbonetics 50 Trim T3/T4 .63ar
JGS Log Mani & Downpipe
Turbonetics Wastegate
Greddy Type RS Blow Off
PLX Wideband
Prosport Boost and Oil Gauge
CalumRT
WRX STI Injectors
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

I forgot about surge. No issues or anything weird.. Everything is buttery smooth even when you lug it out and build to full boost.

I have only had low rpm surge issues with my old t3 setup when it was running on the knock maps and lugging it out uphill.. it would make a few psi then start surging.. even then you could just pedal the throttle and get out of it.

I dont know as much as i should about turbo science, so by all means feel free to enlighten me
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
mmmS13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mmmS13 »

Im curious to know this as well, I don't think it would effect its life as its barely being used/pushed? Maybe at 4psi its a leaf blower? lol

This makes me think of V8 guys with big turbos on low boost. (stock motors with twin 76mm turbos on like 5psi)
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Thanks for updating the thread, i have seen a lot of weird ignition problems being fixed by swapping the distributor.

Im guessing the optical sensor was messing up since theres just that, and the cap/rotor.