Custom manifold finally replacing cracked SSAC

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Custom manifold finally replacing cracked SSAC

Post by White Fastback »

So my SSAC manifold was a complete failure and basic waste of money. Not even rewelding and bracing was able to keep it from cracking in more than ten places.

As a result, with the help of my friend Jake at JSport we built a custom tubular manifold using supplies from ForcedFab for about the same price as I payed for the SSAC.

Right now the manifold is just tacked together, but it should be fully tig welded by a professional over the next two days. I forgot to take pictures of progress as the manifold took shape, but you can still see how we did it.

Basically I pulled off the old turbo stuff and helped make the jig, and Jake pieced together the manifold over two days while I was working my day job. Jake has helped me with pretty much every step of the way, the amount of knowledge he has is ridiculous, and he's just plain amazing at what he does.

Without further ado, here's my new manifold, set up for a 44mm Tial wastegate on V-band flange.

All comments appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'm in love with the new manifold. :lol:

I owe it all to Jake working his magic. I recommend him to anyone and everyone, he can do pretty much anything you need.

http://www.jsportracing.com
turbo2nr
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by turbo2nr »

thats one nice manifold. wow any idea on a cost of how much to custom fab something like that?
R.i.p. 97 s14
96 s14 ka-t
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

The price is going to depend on whether you can do the fabrication yourself. The supplies from ForcedFab cost me less than the original SSAc manifold. If you can't do it yourself, you'll have to pay labor on it.
Justin L
240sx Wannabe

Post by Justin L »

that looks good man. i would have done that in the first place. It looks way more heavy duty than the ssac one.
EviltoM
Forum Moderator

Post by EviltoM »

Nice but if your merging 2 collectors like that you shoulda went with a t4 flange and match it with a t4 turbine for some big top end power and "t3" spool.
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

Well, the AMS GT32 is perfect for my power goals, so I don't think I'll be changing turbos anytime soon.

I love the way the two runners merge into the collector, but the real reason for doing that was for space reasons. It's pretty much the only way we could run it and keep our originally planned turbo location.

I should be getting the manifold back all professionally tigged pretty soon, I'll be sure to get pictures of the final product.
babowc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by babowc »

one question..
doesnt pistons, 1 & 3 fire,
then 2 & 4?

if so.. does cylinders 1 & 2 being in one collector have any detrimental effects to spool?
since it'd only be one cylinders worth of gas at any given point between the runners that are mated?
p00t wrote:. A turbo is basically changing the size of your motor depending on your mood 8)
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

i dont think it would mater because in a 4 runner collector they all meet up at the turbo any way just like my 2 runner will and im hopeing for some mid range power along with some high end power with the design we went with. if you look i do have a collector ther not blocked of from one another. so i wouldent think i would run in to the problem your thinking of. but i see what you mean
EviltoM
Forum Moderator

Post by EviltoM »

babowc wrote:one question..
doesnt pistons, 1 & 3 fire,
then 2 & 4?

if so.. does cylinders 1 & 2 being in one collector have any detrimental effects to spool?
since it'd only be one cylinders worth of gas at any given point between the runners that are mated?
For a twin scroll or divided t4 setup it would be 1&4 and 2&3 merge together.
TanManS14
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TanManS14 »

Looks nice. As its been said before its kinda weird how cyl 4 is oriented. Nice mani though.
It's always broken.
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

I'm not sure why you guys think it's weird. I'm not running a twin scroll setup, and all of the runners go into a collector so they all end up at the same place anyway.

What are you guys thinking about the configuration?
babowc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by babowc »

actually, the mani is quite the unique..
i was just wondering about the exhaust/cylinder firing orders.

is that going to get tigged?
p00t wrote:. A turbo is basically changing the size of your motor depending on your mood 8)
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

Thanks, I see what you mean, but the firing order shouldn't be a problem since I'm not using a twin scroll turbo.

The mani is getting tig welded by a professional, it should be done soon, he's doing it in his spare time.
Jon@ForcedFab
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Jon@ForcedFab »

looking good! make sure to send me some pictures of it completed ill get it up on our customer rides once our gallery is working again. when you have it welded up make sure
they are back purging the runners! oh and surface the flanges afterwards.

I am going to put together a kit with all the parts needed to build one like this, but will come with a merge collector as an option so all that has to be done is to weld up the collector, cut and tack together the weld L's. If there is interest in the kit ill get you guys some pricing up on them by mid next week. i have everything in stock but the Flanges which hopefully Friday i will be getting my first batch of them back from cutting. it seems to be a busy time for the local machine shops so no ones been able to fit my small runs of flanges in lately.

I have two turbo grand ams that im finishing up builds on then i am going to put my time into two 240sx projects. id much rather be working on 240's then fwd V6 Gm's...

Jon
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

Yeah, thanks a bunch for hooking me up! I'm really excited to get the manifold done, I don't think I could be happier with the way it's turning out. I can't wait to get my car back on the road with a good manifold.

After that comes 13psi and dyno tuning. :D
ispypsi

Post by ispypsi »

nice. it looks almost like my manifold i had made 2 years ago. we didn't have the bandsaw yet and it would have been a PITA to make a real 4-1 collector with the chop saw, so we did that like yours with the almost 4-2-1 deal.

one thing though, you'll probably experience the same problem with mine, i didnt think to use larger diameter piping on the 2 pipes that make up the collector, and my dyno showed it. it will choke up top. not as bad as i originally thought, but it definitely doesn't flow like a true 4-1 collector. but no fear, as i still put down near 290 @ 14psi, and you should get REALLY good spool (i pull 15psi by 3200).

i'd like to see the results. i love the jig too man. maybe i should just fix my collector instead of buying a new manifold hmm. we also did ours based on space mostly.
Projex240

Post by Projex240 »

Hey dan. im headed to my parents house on tuesday night. You still live off of pollard?

-Josh
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

ispypsi wrote:nice. it looks almost like my manifold i had made 2 years ago. we didn't have the bandsaw yet and it would have been a PITA to make a real 4-1 collector with the chop saw, so we did that like yours with the almost 4-2-1 deal.

one thing though, you'll probably experience the same problem with mine, i didnt think to use larger diameter piping on the 2 pipes that make up the collector, and my dyno showed it. it will choke up top. not as bad as i originally thought, but it definitely doesn't flow like a true 4-1 collector. but no fear, as i still put down near 290 @ 14psi, and you should get REALLY good spool (i pull 15psi by 3200).

i'd like to see the results. i love the jig too man. maybe i should just fix my collector instead of buying a new manifold hmm. we also did ours based on space mostly.

thanks, \

do you think i won't be able to break 300whp on 13psi because thats kind of my stock block goals befor i build it. just woundering because you were saying that you made 290whp on 14psi
ispypsi

Post by ispypsi »

well i arrived at my numbers through calculations. i did 250 on a dynamics dyno. using 15% (1.15 mutiplier) as the standard decrease compared to dynojets, i would have done 287 on dynojet. factor in my crappy stock s14 cams and my ecu is basemap from enthalpy. some cams and fine tuning and i could have a sweet 300hp peak, and you'll end up with a nasty tq PLATEAU :) (plus factor in my other excuses like 20 boost leaks and half coolant at the time of my dyno hahaha)
Projex240 wrote:Hey dan. im headed to my parents house on tuesday night. You still live off of pollard?

-Josh
yup. lol totally forgot, i knew i had talked to someone about that. tues night i him the gym and have the homeowners meeting but shoot me a pm i can get u my # if u wanna swing by and say hey.
Projex240

Post by Projex240 »

ok will do
Projex240

Post by Projex240 »

ok will do
irritatedmax

Post by irritatedmax »

Jon@ForcedFab wrote: I am going to put together a kit with all the parts needed to build one like this, but will come with a merge collector as an option so all that has to be done is to weld up the collector, cut and tack together the weld L's. If there is interest in the kit ill get you guys some pricing up on them by mid next week. i have everything in stock but the Flanges which hopefully Friday i will be getting my first batch of them back from cutting. it seems to be a busy time for the local machine shops so no ones been able to fit my small runs of flanges in lately.
Jon

heck yeah, jon. make up that diy manifold kit. that would be bad ass. price? what would be even sweeter was if you designed it to be a manifold color-by-numbers. i'll explain, you cut all the pieces to the right dimensions and mark them, then the purchaser would simply match up the marks and weld together. i would like to try to make my own manifold but i would prefer if i could do it once and right, since i dont have the money or time to cut, weld, reconfigure, start over, etc.
Steve

Jon@ForcedFab
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Jon@ForcedFab »

irritatedmax wrote:
Jon@ForcedFab wrote: I am going to put together a kit with all the parts needed to build one like this, but will come with a merge collector as an option so all that has to be done is to weld up the collector, cut and tack together the weld L's. If there is interest in the kit ill get you guys some pricing up on them by mid next week. i have everything in stock but the Flanges which hopefully Friday i will be getting my first batch of them back from cutting. it seems to be a busy time for the local machine shops so no ones been able to fit my small runs of flanges in lately.
Jon

heck yeah, jon. make up that diy manifold kit. that would be bad ass. price? what would be even sweeter was if you designed it to be a manifold color-by-numbers. i'll explain, you cut all the pieces to the right dimensions and mark them, then the purchaser would simply match up the marks and weld together. i would like to try to make my own manifold but i would prefer if i could do it once and right, since i dont have the money or time to cut, weld, reconfigure, start over, etc.
actually i have thought about doing that, the biggest problem is the labor involved in cutting all the weld l's makes it cost prohibitive, but I have a idea in my head that may work i just have to get some quotes.

Jon
irritatedmax

Post by irritatedmax »

Jon@ForcedFab wrote:
irritatedmax wrote:
Jon

actually i have thought about doing that, the biggest problem is the labor involved in cutting all the weld l's makes it cost prohibitive, but I have a idea in my head that may work i just have to get some quotes.

Jon
well do it to it. if you can keep the price reasonable then you have one buyer. heck, ii'll even volunteer to put one together for free/discounted rate and try it out then write a nice big write up on it. i am such a nice guy, haha.
Steve

mestisomadness2000
Dreams of owning a 240!

noice

Post by mestisomadness2000 »

looks fun!
eric
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

Glad your happy!!

You know whats cutomer love? Selling your own flange to a customer-i started to sniffle seeing that on your car.lol
(We only had one flange left and I was just about to weld my mani!)

But its no biggy. I'm much happier to see that things are going well on your end. If you need any more help, make sure to hit John or myself up anytime.
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
White Fastback
240sx Wannabe

Post by White Fastback »

I will, tahnx for everything i cant wait to put it on.

p.s.

you guys rock the house.