flip240's Setup

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
flip240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

flip240's Setup

Post by flip240 »

Came on from FA from orion's (klattr1) sig, since the mods have their setups on the main page, I might as well post my setup if anyone new is looking around.

95' 240sx Non-SE 80k miles (turbo'd since 65k)
- Internally stock KA24DE (except for removed upper timing chain guide)
- Engine Management: Jim Wolf Tech ECU ('93 Ford Cobra MAFS, 50 lb/hr MSD injectors, removed speed governor, raised rev limiter)
- Fuel setup: Walbro 255 lph in-tank fuel pump, 300zx fuel filter, custom top feed fuel rail, Nismo type-b fuel pressure regulator, MSD 50 lb/hr top feed injectors
- Turbo: Garrett t3/t04e (57-trim compressor, 0.63 A/R turbine w/ stage 3 wheel), Importautoperformance.com equal length manifold, Mr. Gasket Copper Gasket
- Intercooling: 3.0" intake, 2.5" hot pipe, 2.0" cold pipe, ebay special intercooler
- Boost Control: GReddy Type-S BOV (recirculated), Tial 38mm wastegate (stock spring), HKS EVC EZ II (set to 10 psi)
- Drivetrain: ACT Xtreme Street/Strip clutch disk & Pressure Plate
- Exhaust: 3" mid pipe, GReddy downpipe, srswap.com modified Catco 3" catalyctic convertor, Trust SUS 3" catback turbo exhaust
- Emissions: Besides blocked off EGR (which I plan to fix later) all emissions equipment has been retained

My car is daily driven 15 mins to college classes and 45 minutes each way to work. Car still has lost some bottom end but isn't too loud and responds very well to throttle w/o much lag. Only regret with the setup is the compressor wheel which is a bad combo for the KA24, in the future I'm planning on getting a SC50 from Sound Performance of Bloomingdale IL (who did the hot pipe and midpipe for my car as well as a lot of the initial problems concerning boost leaks when we first got it running).

My old stock block dyno: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/ ... _color.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Setup post 2006 (Only changes made to previous setup)
- Built bottom end by Ivan Phipps (AMS red S14.5 KA24DE-T): Pauter X-beams, Clevite main bearings (with modified oil groove), Arias 8.8 CR pistons, Cometic metal headgasket (modified oil shim on deck), rebuilt stock head with stock S14 camshafts
- Turbo: AMS GT32 turbocharger, AMS production turbo manifold with t3 flange
- Intercooling: ETS (extremeturbosystems.com) race intercooler 20x10x3 Core rated @ 950 cfm
- Boost Control: Tial 44mm wastegate
- Exhaust: Full custom AMS 3" downpipe to GReddy EvoTT exhaust, Circuit Sports rigid exhaust hangers

My new dyno with 8.8 CR pistons and more efficient intercooler: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/flip240/IMG.jpg
Last edited by flip240 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
klattr1
Forum Moderator

hey

Post by klattr1 »

it seems like you have done things right. both of us have done well thanks to Master Splinter (Norbert) lol.
flip240

Post by flip240 »

No sh*t? Haha Norbert is like the KA-T God to me. He's been doing this stuff before I even knew how to drive! I'd probably be running half-assed stock injectors if he didn't bi*ch me out for thinking like a d*uche! :)

Master Splinter :lol: thats a new one to me :wink:
s14_2Nv
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s14_2Nv »

Do you have any hp numbers, how much psi are you running as a daily driver?
flip240

Post by flip240 »

No dyno #s yet, its 10 psi daily driven but was at 15 psi for the first 100 miles (which annahilated the stock clutch). can't hit the dyno till the clutch is broken in :(
s14_2Nv
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s14_2Nv »

Keep us posted when you get the official numbers, I would expect somewhere in the range of 230-250 whp out of that setup. Is that about where you think you are ... ofcourse I could be off.
flip240

Post by flip240 »

250 is what most people have been predicting, though it could turn out to be a little bit lower due to the cat, but everything aft of the turbo is 3" so we'll see :)
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

flip240 wrote:250 is what most people have been predicting, though it could turn out to be a little bit lower due to the cat, but everything aft of the turbo is 3" so we'll see :)

my stock motor ka setup with a 50trim, 370's and a tec II put down 251rwhp @10psi through a 2.5" exhaust. did a 12.87 with slicks. yours should be beast with a 3" and bigger compressor. i call 260-265rwhp. o wait, you said you got a cat....hmmmmmmm
nightwalker
Learners Permit

Post by nightwalker »

flip240, you have the setup I have been planning. How long have you been driving it? (miles?) Any advice you can give me? I will be buying parts piece by piece. The thing I've been debating is the exhaust manifold. SSA? IAP?

Do you see putting in JE pistons as as something worthwhile?

Sorry for all the noob questions, I really can't afford to do it wrong. Appreciate the help.
Mr. PotatoHead
s14_2Nv
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s14_2Nv »

He said at the top that he has been driving it for 15000 miles.

I don't think you would need pistons unless you are planning on breaking 300 whp.

You might want to look into some more agressive cams though, heard the JWT ones are good.
flip240

Post by flip240 »

I had been basically doing the same thing prior, getting each piece over a few years and talking to a bunch of people online and what-not. Luckily, I had a local KA-T guy who knows the turbo-kat inside and out, so he gave me a lot of info to go on.

I installed just about everything myself except for a lot of the custom things: the hot pipe, mid-pipe and wastegate recirculation tube, as well as the turbo intake and BOV recirculation tube, all had to be done at Sound Performance.

Besides those, the biggest problems I had was the vacuum signals. I basically followed Asad's (and other's) lead in making a small manifold with vacuum nipples attached to it. It leaked like crazy at first, but its holding up fine now :)

For manifolds, if you are a rich SOB, get the full-race manifold :D

Mark and the other guys at IAP made it their priority to make sure everything ran smoothly concerning me and my bud's IAP manifolds and hopefully pretty soon, they will be churning out more manifolds for all the KA-T guys :D

Other than that; I have heard good things about the F-max manifold as well. Personally, seeing the phatka-t manifold up close, it would be my 1st choice for the money. The DOHC KA24 they have their manifold mounted on at their webpage is actually my car while it was at the shop!
nightwalker
Learners Permit

Post by nightwalker »

Thanks a lot flip240. By little vacuum manifold, you're talking about a vacuum distribution block right? (I saw one on a 98 KAT HKS car waaaayyy back) I still have the magazine, so if that's right, I could get one made.

As for the manifold, by phatkat manifold, you're talking about the IAP one, or the F-max one? I was a bit confused.

Thanks again for the helpfull reply.
Mr. PotatoHead