D.I.Y Motor Mounts

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
MiaS13
Learners Permit

D.I.Y Motor Mounts

Post by MiaS13 »

Mods Please Sticky
What: Homemade Engine Mounts
Why: Alternative to Hockey Pucks, Nismo Mounts or Stock Mounts
Time: 1 hour

Tools Needed:
Drill with 3/8th Metal Drill Bit
Table Saw or Hand Saw
Tape Measure
Chalk

Materials Needed:

1 - Tube of super glue
2 - 16oz Rubber Mallets

1 - 2ft length of 3/8ths all thread
4 - 3/8ths Nuts
8 - Washers (only 4 pictured)

Step 1
Take your drill and drill a hole straight through the rubber mallet width-wise.
(there's metal in the middle so make sure you have the proper bit)

Step 2
Then Cut the handles off

So they look like this

Step 3
measure the rubber and cut off rubber it until it measures 3 inches
(you can go smaller to lower the motor if you have clearence issues)

like so

Step 4
Cut 2 5&1/4inch lengths of all thread

Step 5
Super Glue your washers around the holes on the rubber

Step 6
Push your 5&1/4inch lengths of all thread through the rubber

Step 7
screw nuts on each side

Final Product

i chose to leave them bare, you can also wrap them in heavy duty tape or what not.
Jackasknissan
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jackasknissan »

those are better than pucks how?

pucks for the win.
Turbo24sxt wrote:SOHC > DOHC ... period ...
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
Spud5251
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Spud5251 »

How well do you think they are going to hold up to the heat from your engine? i can understand saving a few bucks here and there but damn.
Too much to list.

KA26DE-T in the making. BC Stroker Kit, Kelford 272's, borg warner s258 (18-20 psi)9.5 to 1 compression, Full Race Twin Scroll, and a few more goodies.....
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

this is realhomemadeturbo.com style ****. haha.

" dude is that wood in your motor mount?"

good effort, but that might be a wee bit sketch
frankist
240sx Wannabe

Post by frankist »

cool stuff. i like my nismo stuff but im sure this would work fine. =) tell us how much power your putting up against this, ride impressions, and life of these mounts. might help out another member =)
///+++
cmoody2006
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by cmoody2006 »

I think I might try this for my stock motor just to see how well it holds up
Jackasknissan

Post by Jackasknissan »

please use pucks instead.. instead of spending more for a hammer,
just buy 4 pucks....
Turbo24sxt wrote:SOHC > DOHC ... period ...
oaznbeasto wrote: Hey 6 posts, Go **** yourself! learn something then post[/quote
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

rubber malets tend to crack from hot/cold weather. maybe it will work fine. let us kno how it works for you and the vibration level. what are u setting ur idle at.
200sxBoY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 200sxBoY »

ghetto lol
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

Any updates on this? I'm curious to see how it came out.

I just had a buddy give me two solid pieces of steel with a hole in them for my new solid mounts. I'd like some feedback on this before I add 12 pounds of steel to my car. lol
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

eazye2000 wrote:Any updates on this? I'm curious to see how it came out.

I just had a buddy give me two solid pieces of steel with a hole in them for my new solid mounts. I'd like some feedback on this before I add 12 pounds of steel to my car. lol
your gonna hate your life
factory_option
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by factory_option »

I have JGS Poly mounts and I hate life. I couldn't imagine solid mounts. Get the JGS Rubber and call it a day.
el tigre
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by el tigre »

I wouldn't recommend this. I tried a similar setup, but with the rubber from dock stops for semi trucks. The engine eventually torques into the mounts and causes the studs to loosen, not to mention it greatly reduced the efficiency of putting power to the ground. The mounts were swapped to JGS Polys and it was night and day. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, period. Sorry dude.
1981 AC El Tigre 5000
1991 240 SE KA-T, 5 sp. -Sold
1991 Miata, KA-T - Project
Liger
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Liger »

Yeah. I would not do this. I had solid aluminum mounts for about a week and it was hell. My dash vibrated a good inch or more and the gauges bounced around so much they were useless, let alone the vibration through the steering wheel. Plus, it was ridiculously loud inside.

So, cut them down and use some reinforced rubber bushings and you'll be good to go.
drivemarcusdrive
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by drivemarcusdrive »

good thinking outside the box, but +1 for hockeypuckamoturmountsss. if its not broke dont fix it. i really wanna try full solid sometime, haha. btw MI loves hockey pucks!
89SOHCvettehunter
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 89SOHCvettehunter »

I did the same thing but with the homemade polyurethane stuff. poured into a pop can with one end cut out and a whole in the other to put bolt thru works good no problems yet. i know i know ghetto
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Any DIY mount that uses a bolt that goes right through the mount is worthless IMO.... you might as well just run a steel puck.

The tension through the bolt will make for a very solid feeling mount and the rubber will have little effect. I was doing urethane mounts like this for a while and just wasnt happy selling them.

The only way to go is with an isolated engine mount where there is no direct line of steel between the motor and the subframe.

If you want a good DIY mount, buy 2 pucks and countersink enough room to put a bolt/washer under each puck facing outwards. Then screw the 2 pucks together at the perimeter. This will isolate the bolts from each other and still give a stiff mount without a solid contact line.
bassboy3313

Post by bassboy3313 »

^^^+1
rob 2fast4u
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by rob 2fast4u »

Jordan Gladman wrote:Any DIY mount that uses a bolt that goes right through the mount is worthless IMO.... you might as well just run a steel puck.

The tension through the bolt will make for a very solid feeling mount and the rubber will have little effect. I was doing urethane mounts like this for a while and just wasnt happy selling them.

The only way to go is with an isolated engine mount where there is no direct line of steel between the motor and the subframe.

If you want a good DIY mount, buy 2 pucks and countersink enough room to put a bolt/washer under each puck facing outwards. Then screw the 2 pucks together at the perimeter. This will isolate the bolts from each other and still give a stiff mount without a solid contact line.
any pics to show examples ?
fully built:
supertech 8.6:1
eagle H-beams
272BC cams
BC Dual springs
has t3/t04e 60trim need a bigger one for 25psi ???? s366 maybe
custom exh & intake manifolds
ebay ssqv bov
2.5"hotpipe, 3"coldpipe, Blow through MAF
AEM FIC,Zeitronix wideband, z32 maf
Bosch 1000cc inj, Twin walbro's, -8AN feed line,.... and lots more
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Just because I dont want people wasting their time with crappy motor mounts, I drew this up.

You would want washers on the outside of the pucks, I just removed them to simplify. I think its self explanitory.

cmoody2006

Post by cmoody2006 »

Throwing my .02 out there.... I made a set of solid steel motor mounts for my ka. They are rediculous for anything except track use. I dont recomend this at all unless your building a track car everything rattles and it will beat you up to drive. My friend has a ca18det he picked up that someone had made the diy tutorial version mounts with 2 separate bolts not one solid all the way through. He ripped both motor mounts in half and snapped the bolts in the rubber section of his driveshaft the other day... I like the puck design posted here gonna try that out sometime
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

cmoody2006 wrote:Throwing my .02 out there.... I made a set of solid steel motor mounts for my ka. They are rediculous for anything except track use. I dont recomend this at all unless your building a track car everything rattles and it will beat you up to drive. My friend has a ca18det he picked up that someone had made the diy tutorial version mounts with 2 separate bolts not one solid all the way through. He ripped both motor mounts in half and snapped the bolts in the rubber section of his driveshaft the other day... I like the puck design posted here gonna try that out sometime
turn up the idle and grow a pair
katrecipe
**BANNED**

Post by katrecipe »

That's clever i am not to sure if it will last but cool to see different things being thought up thumbs up for trying new things :D
I was a moron and I got banned!
secondtonone317
In Our Memories - RIP

Post by secondtonone317 »

Nice idea, lots of better options out there but whatever floats your boat.
Aaj2k5
240sx Wannabe

Post by Aaj2k5 »

I'm sketching up something similar to double pucks like that but how are you keeping the countersunk bolt from turning while tightening..

And just have to make sure the external fasteners holding them together don't make contact with the mount bracket so that it will seat firmly.
je_decoy
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by je_decoy »

Aaj2k5 wrote:I'm sketching up something similar to double pucks like that but how are you keeping the countersunk bolt from turning while tightening..

And just have to make sure the external fasteners holding them together don't make contact with the mount bracket so that it will seat firmly.
did you ever figure the answer to this?
The Bouncer
Learners Permit

Post by The Bouncer »

TinyT wrote:

your gonna hate your life
you will literally never want to use your car, i had solids in my car for a couple months and they put 3 cracks in my dash and vibrated almost everything loose, bolts have apeared in my floor board HATED THOSE THINGS
When life kicks you in the ass...punch it in the face
MRLuke
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MRLuke »

Bringing up this thread.

I want to solid mount my engine as the car is mostly used on track.

I have previously run a car with poly engine mounts and was completely unfazed by the increased vibration at idle and very impressed with how much tighter the car felt.

The question is I guess just how much worse are solid mounts compared to poly? Is it a vibration at idle situation or is my dash going to bounce an inch up and down all the time?

I have read that if you solid mount the engine then you should only poly mount the transmission otherwise you risk breaking the casing. Is this true for the Ka?

Thoughts from anybody who actually runs solid mounts would be awesome :)

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=53366
Preston
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Preston »

MRLuke wrote:Bringing up this thread.

I want to solid mount my engine as the car is mostly used on track.

I have previously run a car with poly engine mounts and was completely unfazed by the increased vibration at idle and very impressed with how much tighter the car felt.

The question is I guess just how much worse are solid mounts compared to poly? Is it a vibration at idle situation or is my dash going to bounce an inch up and down all the time?

I have read that if you solid mount the engine then you should only poly mount the transmission otherwise you risk breaking the casing. Is this true for the Ka?

Thoughts from anybody who actually runs solid mounts would be awesome :)
It's not that bad. I've been running Xcessives solid mounts for a year now no problems. It vibrates ALOT but nothing has fallen out or loosened up or broke. Your tach and speedo will bounce a little and anything plastic that isn't bolted (aka snap clipped in) will rattle but I have a stripped car so I have minimal plastic.

You can't beat the feel of immediate power transfer and I have had ppl at autocross think I'm an automatic from how fast and smooth I can grab gears.
MRLuke
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MRLuke »

Not sure if id be better of starting my own thread...

I need to make some mounts up for my KA.

On the drivers (right hand) side I am a little tight for space so would like to do this:

Using these 3 bolts on the block

Mounting to this chassis plate (will be reinforced)

only problem is that the mounts will run at this angle

They are going to be made of 2" x 2" box section and solid mounted.

All input appreciated :)

Just realised the pictures arent great.. the chassis plate is right at the front of the engine and the mount would go to about the middle of the block.

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=53366