Tons of white smoke, Fuel smell. Turbine coated in slick res

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
PR0D1GY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Tons of white smoke, Fuel smell. Turbine coated in slick res

Post by PR0D1GY »

So my ka-t had been running fine. Doesn't over heat, only smoked a little (rebuilt). Now it is dumping white smoke. My oil smells like gas (was running really rich) and there is a slick residue in the exhaust manifold and turbine housing. My turbo has no shaft play and the residue is only on the hotside. Any ideas?
s13grady
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by s13grady »

sounds like you may have done some internal damage, white smoke coming out of the exhaust means coolant(blue for oil and black for fuel). sounds like you may have done the piston rings in as well if gas is in the oil and that slick resin youre seeing is oil and coolant making its way into the combustion chamber which then becomes exhaust. a tear down is in your future imo. its the only way to fully diagnose the damage that has been caused.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
PR0D1GY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PR0D1GY »

Brand new engine to spec.... I am only running water no coolant. Car idles FLAWLESSLY. And i am getting no blow by. But yes the smoke is alarming.

Also oil level has remained normal.

Definitely think its a fuel issue. I pulled my rail and there is a huge leak past injector 2
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

sometimes tons of fuel can burn off causing a close to white in color, ive heard but never seen. you may just be loading it up with tons of fuel. you may have a serious fueling issue somewhere, assess everything around the motor first if you think it everything is good internally but a compression or leakdown test will provide potential answers to your problem.
street trim sleeper
PR0D1GY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PR0D1GY »

Compression numbers were alright for a dead cold compression test. Upon testing i noticed a ***** pool of fuel in my exhaust manifold. I pulled my rail off and it was PISSING around Injector two. Need to let it all dry out. I feel this is my issue.
When i pulled the second injector out it was clean (fuel pissing passed it must have cleaned it off.) All other plugs were black (from running rich)
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

what type of management and fuel system(injectors, rail, pump, top/side feed, fpr) are on this car?
street trim sleeper
PR0D1GY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PR0D1GY »

Enthalpy tune
STI 550s
OEM FPR
Walbro 255 in tank
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

You pulled the rail with the injectors still seated? and it was spewing around the #2 injector(not through it i assume) the o rings may be destroyed there, this could cause an abnormally rich condition but you claimed the car idles and runs fine minus the smoke.

I'm just trying to figure out where all this extra fuel in the exhaust manifold is coming from. If an injector fails internally it can either fail to regulate flow or prevent flow all together. Draw through maf with a recirced blow off correct(or blow-thru)? If there is any leak after the maf in the setup, this also will cause the ecu to be dumping additional unnecessary fuel.
street trim sleeper
PR0D1GY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PR0D1GY »

I pulled the problematic injector, The lower o-ring was busted, allowing fuel to seep past the injector (i'm assuming this happened when i had the key on and was checking out the engine). After replacing the o-ring there is no longer a leak. I'm waiting on some new turbo/dp gaskets and i will fire it up and see where i'm at.

Also, My radiator AND overflow tank have lost no water. So i'm really sure its not the headgasket.

Compression was all good 145-150's
(I'm 8.6:1 compression)
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

It sounds like we can rule out internal damage if oil and coolant(water) levels are not changing nor being contaminated by other fluids. All the extra fuel from cylinder 2 can easily make its way past the piston rings into the oil which is typical for an engine that runs too rich and is internally fine.

Id be interested to know what turbo you're running. Oil and water cooled?
What has been done to your rebuilt engine as well.
street trim sleeper
PR0D1GY
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PR0D1GY »

New supertech pistons
Reconditioned rods
Arp rod bolts
Polished crank
ACL rod bearings
Clevite main bearings
Decked head
Completely rebuilt reshim'd factory head
Hot tanked/honed block
Felpro head gasket
ARP MAIN/head studs.
OSK timing chain kit
Mic'd/checked oil pump (puts out proper oil pressure roughly 20-25 ish psi at idle)
All new gaskets
Put together myself with help from a local shop. EVERY last nut and bolt/clearance set to spec as per ALL data/FSM

Oil cooled to4e ebay special (ran before fine)
jeeta_s
240sx Wannabe

Post by jeeta_s »

im pretty sure replacing that oring will solve ur problem, i had the exact same issue, white smoke and everything, turned out to be a leaky injector i replaced it and then everything was fine. oil is probably gonna smell like fuel though