**** you spec clutch

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

**** you spec clutch

Post by cypher02xd »

I had a Spec Clutch stage 3+ in my old sr20det so I decided to go with them again on the KA. Up until this past week I've loved the clutch but last Saturday I went to leave work and couldn't get it into gear, so I managed to limp it home without stopping after finally forcing it into gear. So I figured it was the clutch master, so I replaced it and bled it and I guess by some concidence it was ok for about 2 days before the same issues came back. ok? So I checked everything and I have full potrusion on the slave cylinder so I know that's working properly. The only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the clutch that I've put MAYBE 4k miles on and have had in since April.

I'm hoping Spec has some good customer service and will work with me because I took all the time in the world on the install and I know it was done right. Right now I'm not a very happy person because now I can't even get the car to move without using the starter to bump me to get going. So I'll be doing that or riding the bike to work in the meantime. / rant
smbonn2005
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by smbonn2005 »

Do you still have the fluid damper in place? Thats the cause a lot of the time..
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

No fluid damper. Car was orginally an automatic so it's just a SS line straight from the master to the slave.
240-kid
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 240-kid »

It's common. SPEC seems to be one of those hit or miss companies. Much proof through Google.
Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

What does the pedal feel like? Does it go straight to the floor? Is it "mushy"? Any strange noises?

A pressure plate is pretty reliable and if they break, they break. It won't stop working then start working again. The clutch disk (if sprung) can loose a spring that will interfere with operation. It is not uncommon and is usually complimented by noise.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

i had a spring pop out and it made the cluts work some times but not others.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

Kfred wrote:What does the pedal feel like? Does it go straight to the floor? Is it "mushy"? Any strange noises?

A pressure plate is pretty reliable and if they break, they break. It won't stop working then start working again. The clutch disk (if sprung) can loose a spring that will interfere with operation. It is not uncommon and is usually complimented by noise.
The pedal feels good, well it has pressure to it. I'd almost say that the clutch pedal is STIFFER than it was before. Almost harder to press down.
sdaigle240 wrote:i had a spring pop out and it made the cluts work some times but not others.
This is what I think happened as I had it happen to another car of mien.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

Get inside and find out whats really going on. If you are like most of us 240 owners, dropping a tranny is an hour job at best.

...putting it back however :twisted:
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

It'll probably take me longer to get the car up on jack stands then it will for me to get the trans out lol I would have it pulled apart right now but I don't have a garage annnnd there's that little matter of the hurricane impending doom. So I'm sitting leisurely inside with a beer waiting for this.

I believe my plan will be to order an act clutch and pull out that piece and go back to what I know is quality clutch. Hoping to be able to get it apart and back together one night this week.
s13grady
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by s13grady »

I vote you spewed a spring, possibly 2, out of the clutch disc.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
ze12o
240sx Wannabe

Post by ze12o »

Spec sucks fat cock. My cousin with his evo went through literally 5 hydraulic twin plate kits. The fastest it started to leak was 12 miles from the shop to his house. Hes on a exedy hyper twin now running beautifully. No need to say spec still owes my cousin a replacement/refund.
ಠ_ಠ
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

I ordered an ACT 4 puck clutch rated to 426ft/lbs. It's scheduled to be here Tuesday with the holiday so hoping to pull it all out and install Tuesday afternoon when I'm off work.
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

Why order the replacement before you find the cause?
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

8-bit wrote:Why order the replacement before you find the cause?
I've done this more than enough to know when something isn't right, and I was right to go about ordering a new clutch. I should add that I had double checked to make sure the hydraulic system was working as it should and transmission was in good shape. Pretty much only thing left was an internal problem with the clutch, and I was right. I shall let the pictures speak for themselves.

Friction material is BARELY worn as you would expect from a clutch with 4k miles on it at most. Pretty much all of the springs of the clutch disc fell out and were ROLLING AROUND inside. As my friend was turning the motor over with a rachet to give me access to the PP bolts we could hit them all rolling. As soon as I pulled the PP off all the springs fell out. I have never seen that kind of crap before where ALL of them fell apart. Even the XTD clutch I had in another car lasted me 70k miles before it fell apart. This is just unbelieveable. I know I won't be buying another SPEC product in the future.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I'm so glad I didn't go with their twin disc when I was shopping around. Or any of them for that matter.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I say send them those pics and get another clutch out of this whole dilemma. You can always sell it and regain some of your $$ back.
My car is dead stock.... ish

http://mobileimports.freeforums.org
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

Bubba wrote:I say send them those pics and get another clutch out of this whole dilemma. You can always sell it and regain some of your $$ back.
They say I'm out of warranty because I didn't put the clutch in when I purchased it and the warranty is only for 120 days. which is BS to me but maybe I'm just a little irritated with this. I called the tech line and they say installer error? Yeah ok. I emailed them the pictures but I don't really expect them to want to do anything about it judging by the gentleman I spoke to on the phone's tone.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I've said it before but those oem sized 6 spring clutches are not good for us turboed. They use stock stiffness springs and when they coil bind they twist and bend the retainer sections.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

That definitely settles it for me... Spec was already at the bottom of my list but now they just got scratched off of the list entirely. I've seen better results from eBay **** than their "quality" products they push.
My car is dead stock.... ish

http://mobileimports.freeforums.org
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

Walperstyle wrote:Get inside and find out whats really going on. If you are like most of us 240 owners, dropping a tranny is an hour job at best.

...putting it back however :twisted:
Wouldn't you know that's the damned truth? I got the trans out in no time at all <1 hour but today for the life of me I could not get the transmission up and in. Clutch disc is aligned, new pilot bushing is installed and and pp bolts torqued down with locktite. I just absolutely could not get the trans to pop in and slide like it did last time lol Must just not have been my day today.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

When this happens, take some time away from the car and clear your mind. Then come back and it will be smooth like butter.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

That's what I decided to do. I absolutely hate giving up and not finishing something when I start. I feel so defeated but I know I'll get it later.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Trust me, been there done that. You end up breaking more stuff or doing work twice when frustrated. It is funny how we know this but still do it.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

whenever I hurry up, I break off a cam cap bolt...
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

It's crazy what taking some time away from a problem can do. Transmission went up and in like nothing today and this time I was doing it ALONE. Got under, double checked things, put the transmission up on my chest and lifted and slid it on after a little wiggling. Now I'm waiting for a break in the rain to finish bolting it up and getting the rest of it together. I can't wait to be able to drive my car NORMALLY again and not have to stress about a car when the weather is nasty and I can't ride the bike.
Walperstyle wrote:whenever I hurry up, I break off a cam cap bolt...
When I get frustrated (which takes alot... have two step daughters lol), I end up hitting something... I punched the door of the car twice yesterday. surprisingly it didn't dent it at all.
carcrzy920
240sx Wannabe

Post by carcrzy920 »

i had ONE spring fall out on a oem clutch on a n/a dual cam but damn thats crazy. glad ive always stuck with competition clutch, first performance clutch i had was a comp stage 2 and that held great with the t25 setup and then i decided i wanted a bit more aggressive clutch so now i have a stage 4 comp clutch and damn i love it. well see how it holds up on my built motor though :wink: