Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
TheOne
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TheOne »

ssooooo......supercharger for down low and turbo for the high rpm's? :D

i kid i kid, those parts look nice......will look nicer once installed.
Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

How long did it take for your xcessive order to come in?

I ordered an intake from them over a month ago and I'm still waiting.

Since we are on the subject... I was able to fund my intake manifold due to my engineering salary. Got out of school with no debt in December, started working in January. I'm also saving for a home downpayment, looking to buy early next year. Holding off on other 240sx purchases until then, so I can install the parts in my own garage/shop. It seems like a lot of members have recently or are about to graduate.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I thought about twin charging at one point, but decided against it. I'll have 2-step if I need power off the line!

Here's the dyno chart. You can see where my cams come into play, as the horsepower never really drops off.

And the video link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAE6sQBVRI
Last edited by adamky on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I graduated in '05 with a MIS BSBA. But I got married and had two kids early. I fund my car from side jobs and selling stuff. My whole paycheck goes to bills. This way is better becauase the money I spend on the car, the wife cannot say anything.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Kfred wrote:How long did it take for your xcessive order to come in?

I ordered an intake from them over a month ago and I'm still waiting.
I can't remember exactly, but it was less than 2 weeks.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
Silviadream87

Post by Silviadream87 »

That is one big intercooler!!!
Always make sure the juice is worth the squeeze!!

91 240sx turbo-first rwd and loving it
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I talked to one of the local guys who was telling me his car ran 21% lower on this dyno compared to the Dynojet and Mustang Dyno he ran on before (with same mods). That makes me feel a little better. Puts me closer to 270 whp.

There is a dynojet local to me. I'm tempted to take it there to see what it puts down.
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

adamky wrote:I talked to one of the local guys who was telling me his car ran 21% lower on this dyno compared to the Dynojet and Mustang Dyno he ran on before (with same mods). That makes me feel a little better. Puts me closer to 270 whp.

There is a dynojet local to me. I'm tempted to take it there to see what it puts down.
Do eet!

That sounds more reasonable than the numbers above. Good luck!
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I'm going to try and get it dyno'd again Thursday at the shop with the Dynojet.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Silviadream87 wrote:That is one big intercooler!!!
I originally ordered the TR1045, which has a core size of 10.5" X 22" X 4.5" and they rate it to 880 hp. 4.5" is pretty thick, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get close to 800 hp. So, I called later that day and had them downgrade to the TR1035, which is 10.5" X 22" X 3.5" thick and rated to 660 hp. I'm shooting for somewhere between 550 and 650 with this build, so that should do the job.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/pr ... ntercooler
fahren
NooB

Post by fahren »

nice build. excellent thread. well played.
subscribed.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks man. It looks like I am going to have to wait until next year when I have my own house and garage to install my turbo setup. So... I decided to go ahead and switch to E85 today. Got the car running and idling fine. Just need to do a little fine tuning of the AFRs before I start adding timing. Can't wait!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Wow! E85 is fun, and not nearly as difficult to get running as I thought it would be. The car runs smoother/better now than it ever did on 93.

I still need to lean it out just a hair though. I'm still running 35/65 water/meth and my AFR's under WOT are 11.2-11.5. I'd like to get it closer to 12. I did go ahead and bump up the timing 5-7 degrees in a lot of places. It pulls so much harder, without even a hint of detonation. Here's my current timing map:

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Awesome man. Glad you made the switch. Too bad you went precision. You could have gotten a Holset and joined the DarkSide when you go turbo!

On a serious note, use Virtual Dyno to play with timing and use what your butt feels and the program to get a good street tune. At 10lbs, I love my HX35 and corn.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks man. I've been wanting to try that Virtual Dyno out. I'm hoping to do some more tuning this weekend.
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

where can you get virtual dyno? And sweet build dude. Hope you dont miss insta boost too much,
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

ViperGT wrote:where can you get virtual dyno? And sweet build dude. Hope you dont miss insta boost too much,
viewtopic.php?t=55155
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Put down 265 whp on corn today. 26 whp gain over my 93 oct run. I'm sure there's more in it. I really haven't spent that much time on the tune at all.

sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

sweet! how much timing did you have to add?
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yeah, I'm happy with it. It's about 5-6 degrees advanced in some places. I have tried several times to get a friend to drive so I can do some more tuning, but my laptop keeps locking up or shutting down. I haven't gotten a good log of a run since switching to corn a few weeks ago.

I honestly think my cams are my biggest issue. I don't think I have them degreed well for this supercharger. I bet I would be making more power with stock cams, although I am sure it would fall on its face after 5.5K rpm.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

New wheels

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I do like the new wheels. They seem more tracky than the other set. So what has been the status of the car? I take it you are probably like me. The car runs good and no issues but no updates or new parts. How is the turbo build going? Or with corn since a little more aggressive timing, the car feels better so you feel content for now.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks man. They're the Ray's 350Z Track wheels. 18x8F and 18x8.5R, forged, 18 lbs a piece. My 17" 350Z base model wheels weigh around 25lbs a piece and are only 7.5 wide in the front and 8 in the rear. So they are a bit of a performance upgrade as well. 3 of them were refinished a few years ago and look practically new and the other one is still in decent shape. I was worried 18's might look too big on a stock bodied S14, but they really don't. Couldn't beat it for $700.

Unfortunately the tires that came with them weren't even safe to drive on..! The rear passenger side was so worn on the inside edge that it went through all of the layers of rubber and I can see the damn tube and where it's try to separate from layers of belt and rubber! Of course, I didn't realize this until I was mounting the last one. So, I went ahead and put them on and drove the 2 miles home on 25 mph back roads. I just wanted to get it home to my apartment so I can walk out and look at it... LOL. It's going to sit there until I move into a house here in the next month.

Eventually I'll get some new tires. I'm shooting for 245s in the front, and 265s out back. But, that won't be any time soon. Once I move to the house, the car will be sitting on jack stands getting the supercharger removed, turbo installed, rear end gears changed from 4.6's to stock R&P, and plenty of other little odds and ends. Can't wait to get started.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Congrats on the house. I cannot imagine what your turbo setup will be like. You keep your car pristine. Keep up the good work.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

I JUUUUUST sold these wheels after 6 years and now youre making me sad. looks great dood.

is that German glass or clear lenses?
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks man. It's German glass.
ella6
NooB

Post by ella6 »

Would a 3800 supercharger kit offered for $500 on craigslist, be a good enough deal for me to look into? What bases should I cover when checking it out?
3800 supercharger kit
Hi I am ella.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Nice setup and good to hear you are loving the corn

Try hitting your laptop CPU cooling vents with some of the computer duster stuff, if a computer gets plugged up with dust it will run slow/crash, etc
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
sam7
NooB

Post by sam7 »

Would a 3800 supercharger kit offered for $500 on craigslist, be a good enough deal for me to look into? What bases should I cover when checking it out?
3800 supercharger kit
Hi I am Sam.
adamky
SuperMod

Launch on drag radials = blown airbags

Post by adamky »

Well, time for an update. Unfortunately, it's bad news. I broke it.

So, I went to the local 1/8 mile this past Saturday to use my drag radials for the first time and see if I could best my 9.0 run on my Star Specs. This was my first time trying to launch on drag radials or slicks of any kind. I was having trouble getting the car to stay in the burnout box, but I could feel that I was heating the tires up some. My first run was total fail. The second launch was decent. On the third, it felt like it hooked pretty good and I ran an 8.8@78.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwq5X6xY3YE

On the 4th run, I did my burnout. I held the rpms at around 5000 and as soon as I dropped the clutch, I lurched forward a little and then it seemed like everything just exploded. It took a minute to realize that both of my airbags had just deployed. Watch the launch @ 0:43 in fullscreen 1080p and you'll see the puff of smoke from the top of the windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZat8FwLGrk

I crawled out of the car and let the smoke clear as everyone ran over trying to see what happened. I popped the hood and everything looked fine. I started the car up and the motor sounded fine, thankfully. I thought everything was good to go until I tried to drive it off the track and it wouldn't move in any gear. After checking everything, it appears that the trans output shaft snapped. The snap must have made enough of a shock through the car to trip the airbags. Had to wait 2 hours for AAA to show up.

The trans isn't that big of a deal because I literally have everything needed for a Z32 swap. What I'm pissed about is that I have to replace the dash. It was perfect... not a single crack or blemish. And now it's ruined and I get to go through the fun process of swapping it out. F*ck me :(