oem oil pump or no?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
andarou
NooB

oem oil pump or no?

Post by andarou »

I'm by no means an advanced engine builder or anything, but I'm rebuilding my ka24de while I have it on the ground.

I'm replacing most of the accesory external parts (water pump, timing, alternator, etc)..

I was in the process of purchasing a new oil pump, and I figured I would go with something that put out a bit higher flow.. then I read thru some pages that said if you have a higher flow rate from the oil pump, you could essentially over lubricate or run the oil pan 'dry'

I'll be using the stock oem oil pan..

Should I stay OEM, run a high volume oil pump, or a high pressure oil pump?

I know I would run 1/2 or 1 quart more oil to compensate, but I figured the lubrication provided by the upgraded pump would keep things a little better off.

If I upgrade the pump, can anyone tell me what else i would need to modify to make this increase operational?
240-kid
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 240-kid »

Shimmed OEM Pump.....
NeverSatisfied
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by NeverSatisfied »

I'm not sure but from the research i've done on it, i've read the "high flow" pumps are essentially just oem pumps anyways. If you do decide to replace the pump, get the pump from the dealer.. the only other aftermarket pumps ive seen were all topline, and thats just a disaster waiting to happen. Only thing that sucks is for some reason, oil pumps are expensive as hell. Just dishes out 380.00 for mine. But its better than having a cheaper pump fail. Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet. >_<
If its worth doing, its worth overdoing.
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

Lots of fellas here making good power have a stock oil pump. Get a good oil pressure gauge, and pay attention to it. Then, if you kill a couple of OEM oil pumps, consider aftermarket.
andarou
NooB

Post by andarou »

Thanks guys.

I just wasn't sure if it's something like a water pump that should be changed if it's already out, or I could keep it in (not sure the mileage on the motor)
thesandman4444
240sx Wannabe

Post by thesandman4444 »

I've got a Beck arnley timing cover and oil pump with 60k on it. It still makes 22 psi at 1000 hot idle with rotella 15w 40 so its definately not wearing abnormally. It was a bit cheaper than the OEM and you can see where they actually ground the Nissan logo off the casting on the cover.
built block, sls manifold, 60 trim t3/t04e, rc 750s and nistune
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

OP, are you asking about an Oil pump, or Water pump... you are confusing us.