Busted hood bumpers - Need a DIY solution

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Busted hood bumpers - Need a DIY solution

Post by niceguy »

Hey guys, the hood bumpers completely broke off like muffin tops (sorry, Seinfeld reference) and I don't like the idea of driving around without them. I'm going to order some from Courtesy but being Friday afternoon, I figure even with 3 day shipping, it won't get here till tues or wed (any quicker and it's $30-$50!!)

I just rattle canned the upper radiator support so I'd really like to find something to get me by for a few days.

My only thought would cost about the same as the bumpers plus shipping ($20+) but here it is:

Take some Autozone ES endlinks and some short nuts/bolts/washes to keep it in place. To keep the bolt head from tearing up the hood, buy a roll of thick adhesive backed weatherstripping and stick a piece on top of each endlink/bolt head.

Anyone have any better or cheaper ideas?? I always break crap on the weekend when it's a dealer only part lol!!
picsbypenny
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by picsbypenny »

doesn't vatozone carry a replacement hood bumper thingy for fairly cheap?
95 Silvia - KA24DET | 95 240sx - 2JZ

Build > viewtopic.php?t=57996
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Yeah?? I'll look it up and call to see....I don't trust these kids to know what's in their store. That would be awesome if they do though. Thanks penny

EDIT: They looked around and checked the computer and they said they don't carry anything like that. back to looking
Last edited by niceguy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

RTV the muffin top back on, or just use a pile of RTV lol

If you can wait a month i can grab some at the junkyard and send them over for cheap.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
picsbypenny
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by picsbypenny »

95 Silvia - KA24DET | 95 240sx - 2JZ

Build > viewtopic.php?t=57996
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

I would've glued it back together but it pretty much disintegrated.

Thanks for that link Penny, looks like the first 2 are special order but I didn't think about checking the 'Help' sections at the parts stores. I called O'Reilly and they didn't have anything but Advance had some for Chrysler so I'm going to go see if I can make them work without screwing up my 'new' paint job.

Schmauster, thanks bro but they're only $5 each from Courtesy, so I'll order some tonight. It's our anniversary this weekend so we're going to go out and do stuff and hitting the junk yard would probably hurt the romance lol!

I just need something to get me by for a couple of days. Actually a banana nut mini muffin would be about the right size, just need a stale one...
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Advance ended up having some in the 'Help' section. It was the pack of two listed for GM/Chrysler and the larger of the 2 screwed in and fit perfectly. It's pretty soft rubber so I don't know if it would hold up as good as OEM in the long run and you'd have to buy 2 packs to get a pair that work but it's $10, about the same price as OEM n/i shipping.