Cooling system filling up with air

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Drift99
240sx Wannabe

Cooling system filling up with air

Post by Drift99 »

Hey guys
I have recently swaped my blown KADE for another stock KADE. This one seems to be in much better shape then the old one and has 180psi across all four. I have properly bleed the cooling system twice now and each time my car started overheating (not too badly) after a week of DD. I spent a good 40 minutes bleeding the system both times till there was no air bubbles at all. It turns out the system keeps getting a bunch of air in it. The upper hose was full of pressurized air both times.

I basically have no idea where all the air could be coming from. My old engine had the exact same setup on it and it never had any heat problems, even on drift days at the track.

Its an R32 GTR oem rad by the way. And yes I turned the heater on when I bleed the system.

Any help would be great!

Thnx,
Jake
Kruked
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Kruked »

Car overheating? If so, water could be overflowing from your reservoir to the point that it makes the system low. By time the system cools down, the system will be sucking air back in, in replacement of the nonexistent water that the overheating burped out.

Idk, just a thought.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windshield, it said 'Parking Fine.'
Freise

Post by Freise »

Take a look at the water pump and if not the pump maybe look for small leaks in hoses. When my water pump went bad, it began leaking through the weep hole only under pressure. The result: I would bleed my cooling system, then a week later the car would begin to slowly overheat and I'd find air in the radiator. It wasn't until I accidently put weight onto the upper raidator hose while the car was running and warm that I noticed the weep hole was leaking. Hope that helps.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
Drift99
240sx Wannabe

Post by Drift99 »

Thanks guys.

I thinnk your right kruked. It must be overheating. Since the temp sensor is reading air temp in the upper hose, I am not aware of the overheating.

I will look around once again for leaks. I will change the liquid gasket for the pump and thermostat.

I believe I might have a small HG leak thats pressurizing the system. I hope not tho..
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

240s with KAs with even the slightest cooling system leak will have this problem. There is NO margin for error with a thermostat installed. It will happen and there is no compromise!!! The bottom line is you fix it or this will happen in a matter of less than 100 miles. Just the way it is .
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
Kruked

Post by Kruked »

I usually have a real good outcome by jacking the front of the car up high and force-feeding the system w/ the car running. I use a beer-bong :wink: . The hose fits snuggly into the radiator neck. Then I'll use the bleeder for a finer result.

I once thought that I had a HG problem but I just wasn't geeting all of the air out of the system. Then I used the method above, no longer had the problem
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windshield, it said 'Parking Fine.'
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

I understand that method and agree ...but if the cooling system is not leak free and air tight ...air will return and the overheat will rear its ugly head over and over . Been there done that and got the tshirt on several occasions.
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
Kruked

Post by Kruked »

Agreed. Believe it's happened to all of us at one point in time.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Yup. I got pissed and took out the thermo. Been t-stat free for 2 years. The benefits of living down in SFL.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Kruked

Post by Kruked »

Not always like that though. I was a victim last year