Should I buy this setup for just under $600?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

Should I buy this setup for just under $600?

Post by MasterOSkillio »

I was offered this setup by someone for a little less then $600 is it worth it?

Bottom mount manifold - unknown maker heat wrapped
T25 turbo from sr20(zero shaft play) .80ar intake 62 exhaust (stock SR20 tubro)
Steel braided oil feed line
Adapter for oil return
Oil return hose
Complete front mount inter cooler and piping for s13
Hot pipe with an eBay bov (greddy style flange)
Intake cold pipe
370cc injectors with fresh O rings from sr20
N60 mass air flow sensor with pigtail
New down pipe, has some dents due to fitment but you don't see them on the car, fits perfect now
Turbo inlet pipe
ALL gaskets, clamps, couplers are with this

NOT included: oil pan, oil catch can, water lines, ECU (I have this enthalpy)

****but**** one only thing giving me pause is the guy told me the elbow is welded on the exhaust of the turbo, he made it that way to stop an exhaust leak...... Then how can you change out the turbo when it goes eventually? Do people do this?

EDIT: forgot to put the intake exhaust AR
Last edited by MasterOSkillio on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Should I buy this setup for just under $600?

Post by Walperstyle »

MasterOSkillio wrote:I was offered this setup by someone for a little less then $600 is it worth it?

Bottom mount manifold - unknown maker heat wrapped
T25 turbo from sr20(zero shaft play) .80ar
Steel braided oil feed line
Adapter for oil return
Oil return hose
Complete front mount inter cooler and piping for s13
Hot pipe with an eBay bov (greddy style flange)
Intake cold pipe
370cc injectors with fresh O rings from sr20
N60 mass air flow sensor with pigtail
New down pipe, has some dents due to fitment but you don't see them on the car, fits perfect now
Turbo inlet pipe
ALL gaskets, clamps, couplers are with this

NOT included: oil pan, oil catch can, water lines, ECU (I have this enthalpy)

*but* one only thing giving me pause is the guy told me the elbow is welded on the hotside, and he made it that way to stop an exhaust leak...... Then how can you change out the turbo when it goes eventually? Do people do this?

Items in bold would make me not want this setup. That exhaust side .80AR? sounds wrong. The MAF is probably faulty, and the injectors are kinda small.
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MasterOSkillio »

What makes you think the maf is faulty? I jave another anyway, the Injecors are small but I only want 250 hp MAX. Injectors and maf aside is it worth it? Any thoughts on the welded turbo?
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Freise »

This is almost word-for-word everything I bought 4 years ago when I decided to pull the hammer on fi. As walper said, the injectors are small and limiting, but for the stock boost of the T25 it will be fine. The maf should work fine, 8bit has hosted tunes using even the stock maf with 370s.
BUT... 4 years ago when I bought everything, I said all I wanted was 200-250 hp... yet here I sit with every single part on that list replaced except the manifold and intercooler, and trying to figure out if I can reliably run more than 300 on the current block... and the same thing will happen to you

In the long run it would have saved me money to have just pieced everything together and done it right the first time, but at the same token I learned more from blundering around with cheap parts and somehow managed to make it all work, so it really depends on your situation.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
Berserker
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Berserker »

I never regret starting out small, my fist dyno I put down 270whp on sr t28 turbo. It was alot of fun makes you want to upgrade. So I cept on adding more parts. Learned alot that way. Ibwould recomend getting a bottom mount set up but just not turbo welded on manifold.
608 whp @ 27.25 psi powered by Precision6262
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MasterOSkillio »

Berserker wrote:I never regret starting out small, my fist dyno I put down 270whp on sr t28 turbo. It was alot of fun makes you want to upgrade. So I cept on adding more parts. Learned alot that way. Ibwould recomend getting a bottom mount set up but just not turbo welded on manifold.

it's welded to the downpipe not the manifold

What do you think of the price for the setup.....
ViperGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ViperGT »

good deal intercooler kit is 150,, manifold is atleast 200 for tubular, turbo is also atleast 200, injectors maybe 50, and down pipe also atleast 150.

the 370 injectors can also me modded to flow around 700cc i think, i run stock ka injectors modded that flow about 660 i think, not problems with them at all.
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
ferrea/exhaust supertech/intake stk
supertech springs and retainers
bc valve guides v2 cams currently crower 288/288 (no good)
port and polish
arp head, main, rod bolts
osk timing
current: custom log mani, TIAL mvr,
later: ati SD garret gtx3071 currently in my possession looking for gtx3576
custom downpipe
lol:
sdaigle240 wrote:beat that thing like it owes you money.
Berserker
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Berserker »

Its not bad if its welded to the downpipe. Just the t25 is hella 2 small, adleast a t28 would be nice. But its not a bad price.
608 whp @ 27.25 psi powered by Precision6262
MasterOSkillio
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by MasterOSkillio »

walked away from the kit, I went to look at it and the way the elbow off the exhaust side was welded on there looked so bad. The weld looked very sloppy too. Didn't know how many miles were on the turbo, and I have no idea how hard it would be to rebuild a turbo that is like that.

I wanted to ask how much play is acceptable for the shaft, when the turbo is out of the car and there is no oil in it? The shaft moved a little bit, but there was no scoring on the walls or anything.