Running like crap 3 days before drift event

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
Drift99
240sx Wannabe

Running like crap 3 days before drift event

Post by Drift99 »

Alright I need some help
My KAT is running like crap and I have a drift even on sunday that I have been waiting for for over 6 months. Here is the story;

I was daily driving the car without problems. I park it for about 1 month. Yesterday I fired her right up for the first like since I parked it. It fired up fine and i took her for a joy ride around the block. It ran fine. Thats until i did a nice long pull and let off the gas and she died on me instantly. The engine had a very rough idle after that happen and it could barely hold an idle.

What is weird is that if I start her up cold it purrs like a kitten for about 1 minute until it starts to warm up (usually when its cold it idles fine but it has idled fine when warm a few times I believe). As it warms up, the idle gets rougher and my ATF slowly go richer and richer until its maxed out at 10. Once warm it idles very rough and can barely hold an idle.

With the MAF unplugged, it idles fine. The second I plug it in, the problem is back. I was certain the MAF was bad so I grabbed my other one (same MAF) and hooked it up and the problem was still there. The 2nd MAF could also be broken but the problem was identical. I will try a 3rd MAF tomorrow.

Things I have checked/changed;
MAF
spark plugs
plug wires
distributor
Comp test=180 across all 4

I would really appreciate any more ideas or suggestions. Like I mentioned above, I really would like to drift this sunday.

Here is a vid of it idling. The car would have idled rougher in the vid if I let it run a bit longer. If I gave gas it would misfire and crap. If I gave gas and let go, it would fall on its face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p8flnUB ... e=youtu.be

BTW its a 93 KADE with a simple T25 and FMU setup.

Thanks,
Jake
ashy-larry
240sx Wannabe

Post by ashy-larry »

Since you let it sit for so long did the batt need recharged(Erasing where you had your fmu set)?

Could also be the engine temp sensor(A bad one will make it run/idle bad/rich) . It doesn't seem to be a vacuum/fpr/injector problem b/c the engine makes fine afr's until it starts to act up. Have you tried a different ecu?
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Freise »

if both mafs aren't working double check wiring
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
Drift99
240sx Wannabe

Post by Drift99 »

ashy-larry wrote:Since you let it sit for so long did the batt need recharged(Erasing where you had your fmu set)?

Could also be the engine temp sensor(A bad one will make it run/idle bad/rich) . It doesn't seem to be a vacuum/fpr/injector problem b/c the engine makes fine afr's until it starts to act up. Have you tried a different ecu?
No the battery was still fully charged

Today I changed the coolant temp sensor and that didnt change anything

Today I tried another ECU and there was no change
Drift99
240sx Wannabe

Post by Drift99 »

Freise wrote:if both mafs aren't working double check wiring
Whats a good way to check the wiring? Just check for continuity?

I recorded a vid today of a cold start. The idle was perfect for the first few seconds and then the ATF went lean in a instant and it died. This is what happens only on cold starts. On warm starts the opposite happens, it goes rich... I find this to be very weird..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3csLDCX ... e=youtu.be

Any ideas are welcome!
Drift99
240sx Wannabe

Post by Drift99 »

problem fixed! it turns out the MAF plug was shot. I soldered a new one on and all is good!

I appreciate the help guys!