Schmauster920 : Building a Harder Hardbody

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
ViperGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ViperGT »

sweet build reminds me i have lots of work to do
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
ferrea/exhaust supertech/intake stk
supertech springs and retainers
bc valve guides v2 cams currently crower 288/288 (no good)
port and polish
arp head, main, rod bolts
osk timing
current: custom log mani, TIAL mvr,
later: ati SD garret gtx3071 currently in my possession looking for gtx3576
custom downpipe
lol:
sdaigle240 wrote:beat that thing like it owes you money.
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Sick man! What did you do for the injector caps and seals and whatnot? I found a closeout of beck/arnley kits on rock auto a while back and loaded up. :wink:
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Thanks guys

Viper - its been a full time job for me lately for sure. We still have to make a run sometime

Marcus - I got the injector seals at napa, it came out to about 50 for the set... kinda pricey but no shop around here had them. I bet that closeout was worth it lol

I got a bag of pintle caps on ebay. It was a long time ago but i think 16 of them for 10 bucks.. figured it would be worth it to have around.

Finished welding the oil pan.. I painted on a layer of JB weld over the welds just for extra insurance.

Cleaned everything thoroughly and assembled the head today so its ready to install

I also tapped the head and main studs with a homemade thread chaser. Also i clocked the turbo housing

Tomorrow i hope i can get around to cleaning and assembling the short block. It could be running by this weekend. Woo

Ive been pushing hard to get this done soon. I took a break from fab today but tomorrow i am going to modify my hot pipe for the new turbo and finish porting the emusa manifold. Also cleaning and getting the short block built by the end of the day so i can focus on the engine and maybe get it in the day after that (friday)

Last edited by schmauster920 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Looking good buddy! I've found luck in homemade taps utilizing a pneumatic grinder with a cutting wheel and going over it by hand with a thread file afterwards.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Got some stuff done the last few days

Greased up cylinders and set the ring gaps

2 of them were slightly tight so i filed them down

Scrub down time

Pistons in

RTV in here

Dont forget this

Clutch has had better days but it'll be fine for a while longer
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
neverlift

Post by neverlift »

nice build,

you were melting that piston :)

old setup megasquirt? recirculated bov? nice
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

good ****, keep it coming!
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

wooo

Neverlift - Old and current setup - self tuned ecu... self made harness 10 years ago :oops:

New setup will be with a new engine harness, coils and the MS2 so it will look much better
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

man that thing is going to rock when its done.

I've got a DD 88s10 that I let my bro drive, and I cannot imagine that thing with power. Its got the stock 2.5L iron duke, and even at that lowly power level it feels like a death trap.

what power level are you shooting for?
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

I really dont have any power goals but 300-400 daily hp would be nice. I should keep it around 6-10 psi daily, whatever that nets me. At 10psi with that turbo i assume i should be in the low to mid 300 range. Ive got 740s and a walbro.. ill be running e85 if i want to run higher boost so the injectors will be my limiting factor until i upgrade.

I used to have an 88 S-10 with the same 2.5 lol They are slugs. Ive always felt that this truck handles and rides better than the S-10 and it just needed some power to be fun.

That big turbo should be good for towing a trailer too lol
arob987

Post by arob987 »

Build looks good keep up the good work.I've always wanted a boosted hardbody.
New turbo setup build in progress-11mm headstuds/cometic head gasket/jwt cam gears added,prec. 6266,gato mani,prec.46mm wg,bigger fmic,mspnp2,z32 trans,spec twin,q45 rear,full energy bushings. Still need injectors,and a few other small things

Old setup-ka24de-wiseco 9:1 pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,jwt s1 cams,brian crower springs and retainers,jgs log mani,t3 57trim .63 a/r,tomei 740cc,38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate,synapse bov,ebay fmic,nistune,j30 lsd.5 speed swap,z32 brakes F&R.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Moving along

Gave my clutch hydraulic system a good flushing and cleaned my reservoir since my clutch slave piston popped out like usual... when i refilled the bottle the first time it looked like BP's broken oil pipeline in the ocean lolol

flip240

Post by flip240 »

lol that's something i've never seen a picture of
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Started her up today.. I lost about half a quart of 5-30 out of my turbo feed line at the crimp on the oil filter side after running for a few minutes I know i didnt spin the oil line in the crimp because it was off the car when i screwed it on. Sucks but thats life.. i was expecting at least one new part to be bad lol

Putting my backup oil line on and ill report tomorrow

Good news is that it seemed to be running normally and started right up with 14" of vac and 80 psi oil pressure. The vac will increase as the motor breaks in. Im happy right now but pissed i have to change to the smaller oil line and wasted $$

Oh well.. at least i felt like the larger oil line was overkill

Edit : After a few miles today it has 21" vac so im very happy so far

Just have to tie up some loose ends on the motor tomorrow morning, do an oil change and ill start putting some miles on it locally
flip240

Post by flip240 »

Glad to hear, keep us posted!
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Ive got 1000 miles so far. I love the mitsu turbo, i can lug it out and get 1-2 psi by 2400rpm. Otherwise it hits hard around 4k. Totally silent too, awesome sleeper turbo, loving it so far.. 6psi pulls like 14 did with my dying smaller t3
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Everything is going great so far except i think i spun my thrust bearing :( It was at the minimum clearance and i thought i was ok. I did see copper flakes (bearing) in my oil filter a little while ago but didnt think too much of it. I would love to blame ACL and their oversized thrust bearing lol

Havent opened it up but i never got rod knock and the motor SEIZED as i came to a stop :( so i think its safe to assume. Good thing ive got another block, crank, etc if i need it.

Im just going to sell it and get a mustang

Just kidding, its going to be good as new in a few months.. stay tuned :x
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Man that sucks! I don't know how you still have the drive to keep rebuilding motors like that, I would actually just buy a mustang. I hope you he this figured out. I'm going to blow my motor soon as well :P
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

shift_down wrote:Man that sucks! I don't know how you still have the drive to keep rebuilding motors like that

A few days ago I smoked a new VW toureg and vtec civic with a dirtbike in the back while on 4psi

The look on the passengers face in the civic face makes this all worthwhile.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

schmauster920 wrote:
A few days ago I smoked a new VW toureg and vtec civic with a dirtbike in the back while on 4psi

The look on the passengers face in the civic face makes this all worthwhile.
Did vtec kick in yo?
I hear all these storys of people racing in their KA-Ts, and it makes me jealous. It also motivates me to work harder to get mine going.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
boosted93
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: Schmauster920 : Building a Harder Hardbody

Post by boosted93 »

Sweet build dude!! Looks like you took alot of time and planing to do it
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

What timing kit did you go with? Great work man I like all your work. Are you planning to go coil on plug with ms eventually?
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Thanks guys.. its my 2nd turbo setup on this truck... along with nightly reading on this website, it has given me a lot of perspective on what i really want

Plans for ignition are the D585 coils and ill make up some plug wires. Coil on plug is baller but i really want the most spark i can get period. I have heard about DSM guys upgrading to COP and having issues with spark jumping to the spark plug tubes.. with a higher gap it will be more prone to something like that.. Its all about function over form so the coil packs win

Been doing a lot of scrubbing and cleaning recently. I assembled my short block tonight, i have to check clearances and then clean out any bits in my oil pump so i can make some progress.

I welded a screw driver tip to an old 1/2 inch adapter so i can use the impact gun to take the screws in the oil pump out. It sounds idiotic but if you push hard and give it only a few impacts carefully it works like a charm and doesnt strip anything.. basically a power impact screwdriver lol

Im moving to northern cali when i get this running so i hope it doesnt seize again (on date night lol) The clutch was adjusted too tight which caused the thrust bearing to drag on the crank for a long time. I didnt know a maladjusted clutch could spin a bearing. :angry-cussingblack:

Ill post some pics up later
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Im going to try to mount my sard FPR on my fuel rail (1/8 inch), if it works out.. sweet.. i want as few hose clamps and connections as possible

xspower knock\shift light

Ceramic ball and spring boost controller

Turboholics 264 'stage 2' cams

Looks like Michael J Fox ported my manifold but it has worked great, the ports were tiny before.. i wouldnt recommend this manifold to my worst enemy

uber baller

What spinning a bearing does.. adjust your clutch kids.. They cleaned up well.. they are smooth but it still sucks! Had them mic'd by the machine shop too.

Thanks for reading newbies.. Going with a felpro permatorque headgasket... going for around whatever i feel like my transmission will hold 350-450
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

New setup looks awesome!

Can you elaborate on the badly adjusted/too tight clutch? Do you mean that the pedal/master cylinder rod was adjusted too high and the clutch stayed engaged/dragged with the pedal up?
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Yeah i want people to know since i didnt lol

I like your sig quote biglou!

The clutch was basically pushing on the pressure plate by 1/4 inch, very similar to if you left your foot resting on the clutch... i adjusted it after driving 100 miles.. but then found copper flakes in the filter... hoped for the best but it ended up spinning the main bearing and toasting my crank/block at the 980 mile mark.

Getting to know the guys at the machine shop pretty well lol

I am using an OSK timing set, i dont think its OEM but seems extremely good quality and is made in Japan.. Theres a thread going on OSK timing kits and its really the best around it seems. I got mine at napa for 350 kinda pricey but i dont want to loose the motor due to something stupid like that.
RHS13Doug
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by RHS13Doug »

Turbo'd Hardbody's are so awesome, dude. Can't wait to see the numbers it puts down.
My Build thread

Instagram - 240sxDoug
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

schmauster920 wrote:Yeah i want people to know since i didnt lol

I like your sig quote biglou!

The clutch was basically pushing on the pressure plate by 1/4 inch, very similar to if you left your foot resting on the clutch... i adjusted it after driving 100 miles.. but then found copper flakes in the filter... hoped for the best but it ended up spinning the main bearing and toasting my crank/block at the 980 mile mark.

Getting to know the guys at the machine shop pretty well lol

I am using an OSK timing set, i dont think its OEM but seems extremely good quality and is made in Japan.. Theres a thread going on OSK timing kits and its really the best around it seems. I got mine at napa for 350 kinda pricey but i dont want to loose the motor due to something stupid like that.
Yeah good not cheap out on parts like that. I think im going to go with Tsubaki one of FRsport its made in japan aswell so proabably similar quality. Wow thats crazy I didn't know that could cause a spun bearing...
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

Build looks awesome! I wish my hardbody was as clean as yours!! Damn you Minnesota and your need to put piles of salt on the roads!!!! :x

Where are you at with this nowadays? Ever get it tuned and on a dyno?
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Thanks man. I do haul brush, firewood, and other working truck stuff.. I have just been driving the crap out of it. Ive probably got 10k miles on the new motor and its got nice compression across the board. My wiring and a few other things have been bugging me since they really feel like a reliability issue.. not because my wiring has had everyone reel back in horror at it.

I retuned the chipped ecu for the new turbo/setup and it works alright. I am so over burning chips and having no real control... i am giddy as a school girl since the megasquirt 2 v3 is near :)

Im quite the salesman, if anyone wants a cheap willems/consult cable/chipped ecu combo let me know

Next things...

Real fuel system..

Real driveline.. sigh