My build/question thread :D

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Manik40
Learners Permit

My build/question thread :D

Post by Manik40 »

Wellll i figured I would just post all this here so I can ask questions and let people see what I've been working on.

The car

interior mock up

The donor motor

Took the intake apart...deleting emissions / vacuum. starting cleaning it going to try to spray it tomorrow.

Turbo He351Cw WG welded shut zero shaft play;

Some internals

I got this car about one year ago. It was a bare empty shell. no wiring missing pieces ect. ect. Been piecing things together slowly getting things done. Originally I was aiming to fully build the car before actually getting it running, But as of recently I've been thinking about getting it running much sooner with lower goals and then finishing the rest over time. The car will be running on megasquirt and will be tuned at trackforged. I'm going to pull the head in the next few weeks and its getting new HG (cosworth or commetic?) and arp head studs. White bunny clutch setup is going in once I split the trans. Was going to put ID1000's but thinking about running sti yellows for now with an aem topfeed rail. Now I've been contemplating buying a set of new OEM pistons and slapping the eagle rods on them then building a second block setup for the CP pistons. That's about 1000$ for the machine work + short block assembly. I wont be driving he car much so i figure It should be fine with the OEM pistons as i build the new bottom end over winter. On another note I'm currently fabbing a Sort of turbo elbow for the holset. Using a 90degree 3 1/2 in mandrel bend, trimmed both sides of the bend, used an expander to bring one side of the elbow out to 4 1/4 and welding the vband flange on. On the other side welding a flange to mate to an exhaust.

Realistically with the stock head and low boost on the holset 12-15 lbs I think 350 for this first go around should be a decent ballpark number. also allowing me to get some seat time.

Things I'm undecided on
exhaust manifold (I'm leaning towards a topmount looking to spend 400-600)

Random other mods;

PBM hydro/wilwood/braided lines
kazama inner/ outer
solid subframe bushings
stitch welded entire chassis
5lug/j brakes/ braided lines.
MORE++ lol

Need suspension arms for the rear just have been spending money elsewhere =/

Probably missing some stuff I will update/fix later

Sorry for some of the **** pics lol

Thanks in advance for advice.
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: My build/question thread :D

Post by shift_down »

This is cool! Definitely go top feed fuel rail, but get something larger than the 550cc injectors. I have 550s and I'm regretting not going bigger. get 720s at least. Good luck on this, it looks awesome, loving the RHD!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

Welcome to KA-T! Awesome build so far! Did the car come as a right hand drive or did you convert it? Looks like you've done a lot of research. Its nice to see a someone's first post of this quality and not asking questions about simple set up. Nice turbo by the way! As far as injectors go... 550's would prob be fine if you're looking for 250-300hp. I agree with Shift 350hp is gonna need more fuel. I'm shooting for about the same and looking into some 720's. Again, awesome build!
"Build it, have fun with it, break it, and rebuild it." Brian Parker
"Shiny fittings are for ricers, race cars have zip ties and hose clamps." Barton Black
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Thanks guys! what options would you suggest for 720s ? I've heard of people runnin a number of oem injectors from other cars. Are there any that are that large? I plan on gettin I'd 1000s over the winter. I know a guy running t25 with sr 370s on A ka tuned at psi hitting roughly 300 granted the car is far from stock. I'll look into larger injectors, but the sti yellows come easy if I am a little under my goals it will be fine it's temporary. Spending another 3,000 before I get the car running is just not as appealing lol.

Cosworth or commetic hg? And how thick would you reccomend ?
Looking into chase bays power steering setup.

And on the stock ka IM manifold has the flappers in the runners. I removed them Are you guys just welding shut the hole at the end of the IM?

Thank you.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Cosworth is more preferred. There many threads on here with cometic failures. We weld the intake Mani shut. Don't leave any holes or you will have massive boost leaks.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

well yeahh I know to close wasn't sure if they were plugging it drill / tap, weld , JB weld ect. I'm sure they all would would work. Just seeing what others have done.

I've heard only good things about Cosworth I know in the Honda world a lot of kids run Commetic.

Been outside prepping the intake For paint I will post some pictures of it tonight.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I JB Welded mine, so far so good.
Ya, my buddy has a turbo civic and runs a cometic with no problems; I like felpro.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Okay so its been a while since I've updated. But i never stopped working on my car. Heres a list of some parts acquired over the last few months.

Aem top feed rail
Jgy 750cc top feed injectors
I went with a spec stage 3 clutch kit instead
Sard adj fpr
Koyo ka radiator
Turbo xs rfl bov
Mazworx t3 manifold
Tial mvr 44mm vband wg
Cx racing oil feed/return lines
Innovate lc1 wide band
Stri dsd oil pressure gauge
B&m short shift kit
Im sure there is more

As it sits the motor will be going into the car within the next few weeks. I need to decide on a tune. I dont really want a rom tune I'm looking at a few other options right now they are

NismostronicsSA - similar to a hondata s300 its a daughterboard that is soldered into the factory ecu. Tons of options on this and its 550 w/ a basemap.
Megasquirt - last time i checked it was 799$ For the plug n play option.

Let me know what you guys think.
kacam24det
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by kacam24det »

MEGA SQUIRT best bang for your buck
Cam
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

MS hands down. Just got my bluetooth adapter and will connect to my phone with Shadow Dash.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Are you guys building your own boards or buying the pnp kits?
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Okay so i emailed diyautotune. To get a basic run down on the components I need to have and pricing. Information or finding a buyers guide per say is pretty scattered. So information or a basic component list or even links to a thread with information on this topic would be useful. Well see how long it takes them to respond to my email. On another note. I scooped a front harness for my rhd. Need to do some alterations ie. wire jdm multifunction switch plug. Switch the turn signals. I will need to extend a few plugs off the lower trans harness and shorten the fuel pump plug. Have a few things to do during the week and hopefully i will drop the motor in on saturday. Then i will finish building my down pipe/ elbow and position my 02sensor. Still haven't decided on an intercooler setup. :/
cmj
240sx Wannabe

Post by cmj »

Pics of the manifold please!
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Sure i will once im home. Its the diy that they offer i picked it up from a guy local.
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

We also have the MS2 system which can run the KA24de in a single coil distributor setup with batch fueling.
Here’s a quote for a pretty complete system with the ECU/Stim un-assembled:

MS230-K $279 Megasquirt-II kit with V3.0 PCB
JimStim-K $59 JimStim Stimulator kit
MSHarness $67 8' wiring harness
IATwPiggy $22.25 Intake Air Temperature Sensor
38NPT-Bung_A $9 Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
TuneCable $5.50 6' DB9 tuning cable
USB-2920 $22.50 (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)
Subtotal without wideband-- $464.25

So this was a general outline for a non assembled unit.
Does anyone with experience reccomend any other components to go along with this liSt?

If everything seems legit i will go ahead and order this.
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Well the dead is done
Ms230-c pcb 3.0 ordered
Ms 8ft harness ordered
Iat w/ bung ordered
Tuning cable ordered.

The one thing i didnt order was the jimstim. I have not done enough research on this to even understand it. Once i do if i find a valid reason for having it i will order it also.

Time to get it moving!
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Zzzzzzzz
Last edited by Manik40 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

those of you who are using megasquirt are you deciding to keep the stock ecu in the car? I extended / soldered the plugs on the lower harness. I picked up a resistor box and msd style injector clips out of an obd1 honda. I need to order a 7block external fuse box. My radiator and hoses showed today. I bled the clutch installed an agency power and new slave the spec feels good. I havent torn into efi harness yet that is next on my list. Are you guys running the IACV? Im going to try to get the car running for nissanfest in april, But well see about that.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I got a MSPNP which replaced it. I know beercan ran an DIY MS and believe he took out the ecu. You do not need it. Store it somewhere. I am not running an IACV. I just adjusted the screw on the TB to hold idle at 1K when warm. When cold it will idle 700-800.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Yeah im going to be building my own harness. With the ms230c. So basically the only thing off of the intake side we need is the tps/cts/iat? Where did you place your iat?
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Okay ive neglected this thread a bit heres the update.
The ms harness is nearly wired in . Only thing left is the switched 12v for the ecu, dizzy and the power for the fuel pump. The injectors are all good tps, dizzy and iat are all set. Although i do plan on switching to the trigger wheel soon. Ive pulled the fuel pump relay and determined which one is 12v from ignition and which is the lead to The pump. I need to determine where to put the output from the ecu. The car is just several hours from starting just need to find some spare time. I have to get the timing light out so i can get an accurate reading. Default center on the dizzy should be close enough to get the motor started. Other than the few misc wires i need to order the db9 tuner cable. Ill post a few pics later.
superDorifto
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by superDorifto »

why didn't you buy the stimulator?

It lets you test the board prior to install to be sure that you didn't ***** it all up....seems like a no brainer.
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

BecAuse the ms230-c is a complete board and the tech support at diyautotune advised me it is not necessary. Which after building my ms harness i can see that. Ive already changed the jumpers for the ecu to read the stock trigger signal. Its just a matter of connecting about the 5 wires that remain before i power the ecu and start the car. Its really not rocket science.
Manik40
Learners Permit

Post by Manik40 »

Anyone want to send me their their msq? I'd like to compare mine. Also after changing the trigger wheel out what trigger angle are you guys finding optimal? Car has been sitting in the garage. Been busy with school and work. It's all buttoned up just running an open dp ATM so neighbors kinda hate me hah.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Cool neighbors wouldnt hate you :)

Trigger angle will vary for every car somewhat

MS rocks!
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Diy says 345 should get you to turn on. If you get the car to run, set timing to fixed 20* and make sure your timing light hits 20* mark on pulley. Play with the dizzy to get it to hit. If movement is out of range of dizzy, then change angle to 347 and try. No go then 349. You catch my drift.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Additionally, if you find trouble starting, you can unplug your fuel pump and crank the engine. There you would be looking for your crank advance setting in your msq to match whats showing on your pulley. Its a good gut check if you cant get the engine running right away

Don't stay on your starter too long... just enough to see the timing.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TrackStarGT »

I would not mess with the dizzy after you have installed it, its all about the trigger angle. Technically you could have the dizzy turned 180 degrees and you can run it just fine, you would just have to set the trigger angle accordingly. Do like Supa said start with 345 and jump 3-5 in one direction, if nothing then go the other direction. You motor should start within 5 seconds even if most settings are off, so dont ride the starter thinking it will fire, these are not like carb engines of course. Ill upload my .msq at a later time just to give you a comparison.
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602