Ikera's SOHC Ghetto Ricer

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Ikera's SOHC Ghetto Ricer

Post by Ikera »

Ever since I watched Fast the Furious I wanted to buy a car and install NOS!! well not exactly...

I don't know since when but I wanted to install a turbo on N/A engine, but I didn't know sh!t about cars. I read a lot and 240sx looked like the best candidate of all RWD car I was considering.

Actually I think S13s are ugly, and S14s are too plain, and I knew that this is probably will end up costing me a lot of money that I could use to buy a Lincoln LS or Cadillac CTS or something else that isn't old, looks good and has 4 doors.

Anyway after my Lincoln LS got written off, I decided to buy a 240sx with a goal to install a turbo on it before these cars become any older.

here is what I got, I think I over paid for it

1990 KA24E 220,xxx KMs
HIDs, 3" Cat Back
Non-Hicas, ABS, vLSD, KYB shocks w/ lowering springs, 15x6.5" Advan Model 6 rims
Sunroof, Power windows n lock, AC
S14 re-upholstered fake leather seats, Clean Black Interior

Got some turbo Parts and Exhaust

Most people say most difficult part is setting up oil return line, so I decided to start with that... until this point I've never even changed oil in car.

After I took out the bolts the pan was still stuck, tried using this...

Then this

Putty knife + hammer worked a lot better

The oil pick up is placed in one of the most difficult places to reach with the engine in the car. it has to be unbolted before oil pan can slide out.

Removed the pan and here is what I found inside

a ratchet, a bolt and the Timing Chain Guide :(

So since I already had the pan out, I thought it would be stupid to put it back on without replacing the timing chain and all that stuff

so I started removing everything that had to be removed, throw away what's not needed and relocate the battery...

I was planing on getting a different bumper so I removed that as well, it also made it easier to craw out from under the car.

Cutting off the EGR pipe, because I couldn't get it loose
(I don't have grinder so I use dremel for all the cutting... I know this sh!t is ghetto)

These are the spark plug wires that came with the car and it was running just fine. Makes me wonder if the whole thing about replacing spark plug wires is just a money grab.

Manifold off, Timing cover off, Timing Chain out :)

I realized I didn't take any pics of the battery relocation part but it's in the hatch now

anyway I had this car for over 2 years now, just trying to upload the photos in chronological order now
ImageImageImage
signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Ikera's SOHC Ghetto Ricer

Post by signals13 »

oh man that's crazy, what the heck was with the ratchet??? lol
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

haha yea I dropped the ratchet into the pan while trying to remove oil pick up, thankfully I had a regular wrench that was able to get the job done. That oil pick up was not easy to remove and even more difficult to install
ImageImageImage
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Lol I was wondering how that was even mechanically possible....btw the bronze wheels look great with that matte/satin black paint job.
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

Looks awesome keep the pics coming!
"Build it, have fun with it, break it, and rebuild it." Brian Parker
"Shiny fittings are for ricers, race cars have zip ties and hose clamps." Barton Black
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

Timing Kit

Old Full Plastic Guide vs New Metal Plate Guide

New Timing Chain and Guides Installed
What was kinda weird is that the crank shaft pulley and sprocket came off by hand, I didn't need to use 3 claw 6" crank pulley puller

And here comes more ghetto sh!t
I was trying to figure out how to set up oil return line without welding, here is what I came up with
it's a brass barb fitting, screwed into the pan secured with a nut the from inside with JB Weld used as a gasket sealer and thread lock. I think this sh!t ain't going anywhere

#1 problem with stalling the oil pan back is the oil pickup line, if I drop one of the bolts into the pan I have to take it off again and try again. I tried to use masking tape to keep the bolts from falling

Timing cover on

Oil Pan on

exhaust Manifold on

vacuum line map, back in the day when I had almost all my emission stuff still intact
what a pain
ImageImageImage
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Oh man, this is cool. Keep it up!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
signals13

Post by signals13 »

pretty awesome on the oil drain, how does it work?
jaysol92
240sx Wannabe

Post by jaysol92 »

keep it up man :)
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

the oil return fitting is on there pretty solid, 2 years now and no leaks, no drain problems, iirc it's 1/2" ID

funny thing after I put it all back together, somehow I managed to drop the valve cover semi-circle seal into the oil pan, I was really pissed off at that moment. And do this day there is that seal chilling in my oil pan somewhere.

who need HKS Brand Name Sh!t when you can buy anodized purple paint instead

A reward for myself for doing the timing chain
Light Weight Under-Drive Pulley Kit

Purple color didn't come out well

Oil Cap and the Breather Filter

Slim Brake Booster (non-ABS S13), Painted it Copper

after I put everything back together, of course I didn't fire up on the first tire, there was so many things wrong.
Fuel pump didn't prime, until I tighten all the ground, and rechecked all the plugs under the hood, and when it did fire up it was actually running on 2 cylinder because I mixed up the distributor wire. after I got it running on all 4 cylinder I realized my timing was horrible off, it was running at ~10ATDC, it's so far off that it mean I installed the distributor shaft the wrong way.

Took out the oil pump and re installed the shaft about 3 times to get into the right place.

One Step Colder Spark Plug! at that time I ran the 0.045" or 1.1mm gap, because I didn't know anything about gapping

Walbro 255

This part is badly rusted

there are 6 bolts holding the sending unit, I broke 3 of them

after install I used Black RTV instead of the rubber gasket ring, since I have half as many bolts holding it in place.
It sealed up fine and can hold the pressure

Next Injectors (CA18)

decided to paint the fuel rail

Painted the injectors Purple/Silver so I can tell noobs I'm running HKS injectors

Z32 Fuel Filter Painted

since CA18 Injectors are low impedance I need a resistor pack
Got 4x 10W 6.8 ohm resistors, some speaker wires and some random heat sink and here is what I got

Z32 Fuel Filter

Now here is the fun Part, wiring stuff

I'm not really sure what I was doing

Wired the resistor pack, S-AFC II and the wideband

Surprisingly the injectors fired up on the first try,
that means my DIY Resistor pack worked and SAFC wiring was correct, however the next day I sprung a horrible leak from one of the injectors O-Rings after that I replaced all of the them.

ImageImageImage
signals13

Post by signals13 »

Dang you have done a lot, got any vids?
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

Damn those pulleys look sexy in purple! I bet that oil cap keeps you from bloodying your thumb knuckle! Only thing I hate about the ka24e valve cover. Very nice build man!!!
"Shiny fittings are for ricers, race cars have zip ties and hose clamps." Barton Black
ATL240

Post by ATL240 »

Very cool build, just wondering what you're tuning with? I hope it's not just the SAFC. I have trouble installing the distributor/oil pump also. Such a pain! And I just can't find a descent write-up for the SOHC distributor/oil pump install.
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

signals13 wrote:Dang you have done a lot, got any vids?
here is some **** cell phone vid

sil-coupe wrote:Damn those pulleys look sexy in purple! I bet that oil cap keeps you from bloodying your thumb knuckle! Only thing I hate about the ka24e valve cover. Very nice build man!!!

yeap, that SR20 pulley kit, it was like $60 on eBay, if I didn't cheap out I could have got actual anodized purple pulley set for $80...

ATL240 wrote:Very cool build, just wondering what you're tuning with? I hope it's not just the SAFC. I have trouble installing the distributor/oil pump also. Such a pain! And I just can't find a descent write-up for the SOHC distributor/oil pump install.
SAFC for tuning is kinda whack, I wish I had e-manage. But nice thing about SAFC that it can display MAF reading and voltage and that helps with trouble shooting sometimes. Anyways yes I'm still running only SAFC for tuning and few deg retardation at distributor
ImageImageImage
nelson240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by nelson240sx »

I had an emanage blue on my s13 and to be honest I'd rather have an safc. The only perk is timing retard based on tps and rpm. Unless you plan on changing your setup drastically often I'd get a enathapy ecu or go full stand alone.

My .02 cents
KA24E-T 06/06 to 10/09 (T25 then H1C Holset) - sold
KA24DE-T 12/09 to 10/11 (T4/TO4E) - sold
KA24DE-T 11/14 to 8/15 (T4/TO4S BB) - sold
SR20DE-T exo-car build 06/13 to 3/16 (EFR6758)
^ now VH45DE-T 6/16 to 10/21 (Billet T04S BB)
^now KA24DE-T 1/22 to current (EFR 7163)
Miata 1.8 turbo 9/15 to 3/17 (VF39) - sold
KA24DE-T build 8/17 to 4/19 (EFR6758) - sold
12.6:1 Turbo KA-T 4/19 to 7/21 (EFR7163) - sold
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

nelson240sx wrote:I had an emanage blue on my s13 and to be honest I'd rather have an safc. The only perk is timing retard based on tps and rpm. Unless you plan on changing your setup drastically often I'd get a enathapy ecu or go full stand alone.

My .02 cents

haha thanks kinda makes me feel better, but doesn't e-manage have way better injection control, plus ability to adjust to low impedance CA18DET injectors? To think about it SAFC is kinda crude way of tuning in comparison.
ImageImageImage
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

Kamilitaryman wrote:Here's some motivation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... XqdVrB1bdo
haha funny thing I commented on that video 2 weeks ago "Ikera Palchevskiy"

and yea I know there are plenty of sick builds out there, but I don't feel like sinking much more money into this
ImageImageImage
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

What brand spray paint is that you're using for the purple?
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

it's Dupli-Color Anodized Spray Paint, it's a 2 stage process, there is also Dupli-Color Metallic Primer.
ImageImageImage
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

Pics and Sh!t

Gauges

test fit, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Boost :)

and of course I have to paint them!

installed (oil temp is maxed out because the sensor wire was touching the ground, I fixed that and it work pretty since)

got the wide band mounted into one of the vets, it's clearly visible with the steering wheel in the lowest position.

same thing without flash
the pillar gauges are red because the batt volt dropped

The dash light are purple too actually, it's just my BlackBerry is colorblind
ImageAnd they don't look as cool as they are in this picture.
Cold White/Blue gives it a luxury look, while in person they are purple and look more ricy

next headlights, I wanted to run HIDs with a sick cut off!! and at the same time keep the flip ups. Since the flip up kit from Jordan Gladman is kinda expensive, I thought I would be able to make my own. It was not a good idea, too much work and looked like sh!t in the end, but here are the pics.

2x 35W H3 HID Ballasts - $30
2x Violet H3 HID bulbs - $15
2x H3 Projectors - $45

Some scrap metal and plexiglass ~ $20

This is the cut off with standard H3 bulbs that came with projectors

Butchered the stock sealed be housing, so that I would still have some way to adjust the aim.

I have shortened both arms, so the headlight don't go up all the way on the full cycle.

And this is the cut off line on my getto made HID projectors

my Hi-Beam (not projectors)
ImageImageImage
signals13

Post by signals13 »

That is nice bro I like the color scheme and that wide band gauge placement is perfect I think I'm going to steal your idea ;)
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

this is the weirdest build ive seen as far as putting it together...AWESOME!!! lol the setup actually looks great man!! thats whats up!!!
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

and here is some more wired DIY Sh!t

Open housing

Insert LEDs

Close housing

and done

LEDs only tails

I like them even more than kouki tail lights but less then skyline tail lights

next front bumper, for some reason I thought it would be cool if I tried to ghotto rig an S14 R33 Style Fiberglass Bumper

got it on craigslist for $50

Then I though I need side skirts
got some broken Vertex skirts for $60 I think I over paid, I made that part out of plexiglass and patched it up with fiberglass and zip ties
...It looked not bad

Repainted the bumper and side skirts and here are the results...

next new wheels, no spacers :D
ImageImageImage
don68158
NooB

Post by don68158 »

Now talking about the booster, believe that you know the home cell phone booster ,this is a good device when you at home, excellent condition.
Turnstyles
240sx Wannabe

Post by Turnstyles »

i never seen a bumper put on like that with the pop up lights....looks good!!
KA24E SOHC swaggin on haters
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

Looks like and makes me wonder if Mitsubishi galant lights would fit. Looks good though, in a quirky way.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Where did you get the tails? Are they ebay tails that you modded, or did you fabricate the entire thing?

Edit: I looked up :)
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

sil-coupe wrote:Looks like and makes me wonder if Mitsubishi galant lights would fit. Looks good though, in a quirky way.
Actually I have seen a pic of S13 with Galant front end, it looked awesome.
shift_down wrote:Where did you get the tails? Are they ebay tails that you modded, or did you fabricate the entire thing?
yes they are just eBay generic Altezza Tail lights, with my own LED mod and Red Vinyl Tint.

I know my fender is a little messed up here

Z32 30mm Aluminum Front Calipers + 4lug drilled out rotors

Sanded them down with wire-wheel and sand paper

Painted with Gold VHT Caliper Paint, as per instructions I baked them in the oven for a hour

I don't have a grinder so this is the best way I found out to get the lip of the splash guard, use pair of vise-grips and bend them back and forth until it brakes.

And here is what I got

The Stock MB44 ABS Brake Master Cylinder felt fine, however I switched to RHD Z32 Brake Master Cylinder to make extra clearance for my next turbo setup. And I found out later this is not that uncommon for S13 LHD Cars

At first I used custom lines, however they failed due to heat from the turbo. So I switch back to stock lines after I've bend then 180 Deg

I wrapped the lines in adhesive-aluminum foil, to protect them from scratching during the install. the foil makes it look like they line are kinked, they are not.

ImageImageImage