Need ECU recommendations please

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
Colorado240
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: Need ECU recommendations please

Post by Colorado240 »

Looked up nismotronic and just found chipped ecus with no info.. know whereI can get more info?
iamtheyi
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by iamtheyi »

Their website has more info. Did you look through it?
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Matt Cramer wrote:
BigLoukaT wrote: Matt, just to confirm "A rapid RPM change while cranking can throw off the timing" (bolded): are you referring to timing being thrown off only while cranking (or momentary errors in timing), or continuing to be off after cranking and during running (sustained timing error during running)?
Momentary timing errors while cranking. It doesn't affect things after starting, just WHEN the rapid RPM changes are happening.
The MS3 is sick. I just got a KA-T running this setup. Sync stays all the time when cranking. No blips at all.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Colorado240

Post by Colorado240 »

Looked at faq and the ka ecu but just says its a chipped ecu and thats basically it
Colorado240

Post by Colorado240 »

Maybe cause im on my tablet?? Idk unless im looking in the wrong places or website..
OnTheChip
240sx Wannabe

Post by OnTheChip »

Here are links to the main Nismotronic info pages....

Main website: Nismotronic Webstore
NismotronicSA details: NismotronicSA Package
Software Download: Download NismotronicSA Software Demo
NismotronicSA Help Documentation: NismotronicSA Help
Nismotronic FB Group: Nismotronic FB Group
Nismotronic FB Page: Nismotronic FB Page
Jybfan04

Post by Jybfan04 »

I've been trolling KA-T for years after selling my Altima!

Nismotronic is one of the best ecu solutions that are out there if you are looking for a solution that keeps factory ecu inputs and outputs..

Offers standalone like features and gets constantly updated with more!

btw, I run a Nismotronic on my SR powered S13!
R34SR
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by R34SR »

Having tuned Both nistune and MS2PNP i can tell you i would never again attempt to touch nistune...its so much more difficult to tune and just to get the software to respond to my changes were a challenge....also i hated constantly blowing up mafs and dealing with surges when spooling.

Megasquirt was like a godsend, easy to tune, immediate response, amazing logging information, sheer upgradeability for the price.Tuning a map sensor is cake compared to maf.

I didnt have a trouble free experience with it, my coolant temp circuit seemed to go haywire within the first week , which completely made the car undriveable, i sent it in, they recalibrated it and ive never had a problem since.

i havent really evaluated the newer options since, but im a firm believer in ms2pnp.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
DZTireSlayer
Learners Permit

Post by DZTireSlayer »

I run a AEM FIC6 on my 93 s13 KA-T and haven't had any problems. You will have to splice your own harness though... I would also suggest the patch harness so your not cutting up your factory harness. The interfaces are real easy to use.
dimsumboy

Post by dimsumboy »

I like the AEM EMS. It IS expensive, but it's worked great for me so far.
merlin240s13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by merlin240s13 »

@Matt Cramer

I want to build my own diypnp for three reasons; cost effective, retains factory clip, and i like learning new things. Not to mention fuel and spark. Boost control, launch control, turbo controller and map sensor all in one package and the list just keeps going on.

430~ not bad i say!

Question is, in building my own pnp, i would like to use the simulator to test the circuits and so forth... With the $45-90 price for the simulator, do i need the diyBOB to use the sim board at another $90? What would i need to make this work on a cost effective basis?
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

Merlin- couple of things:
You'll need to spend a little more for boost control (diypnp doesn't come with the solenoid) but you're def in the ballpark. You'll prob also want the 12-1 case trigger disk. both if those items are on my list to buy shortly (been running my DIYPNP for a year with the stock disk but want more timing accuracy and control for sequential fuel and spark).

You do not need a bob for the stimulator, all you need is a spare engine harness that you don't mind cutting, and can use the screw terminals on the stimulator to connect each wire individually. In fact, with a diybob, you would need to make an "engine harness" that is two sided (two ecu connectors on each end)...way more trouble than its worth imo
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

I have the mspnp2, I cant complain about anything. I think that there are many guys out there that really just dive in to DIY tuning and have absolutly no clue about how they should approach learning to tune. You are going to be learning A LOOOOOOOOOT, if you go the DIY route. My theory is that some guys did not read/research enough. And unfortunately some just dont have the capacity to learn it, im not trying to sound high and mighty. I have made my mistakes with tuning, but I can quickly assess and learn from them. I could go on, but my point is: If you go the DIY tuning route you will learn many valuable skills and invaluable knowledge because it forces you to do so. However, there are high odds that you will screw something up if you are not methodical and patient, which some motorheads are not. Anyway, I highly recommend MegaSquirt, it has been most reliable and feature packed, best BANG for the BUCK!!
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

merlin240s13 wrote: Question is, in building my own pnp, i would like to use the simulator to test the circuits and so forth... With the $45-90 price for the simulator, do i need the diyBOB to use the sim board at another $90? What would i need to make this work on a cost effective basis?
The DIYBOB is for going the other way - ECU to factory harness. In your case, if you want to do more than power the DIYPNP up on a bench, you can cut a connector off a junkyard harness and connect it to the JimStim's screw terminals.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

honestly you can pick up a $1400 unit for $6-800 on here... AEM series 2, you buy a $120 map sensor(fancy one) an aem wide band $160 on amazon and thats all you need, not that difficult to wire those 2 sensors in and you get to delete the MAF, oh and youve got to instal the 24 tooth wheel but thats easy as well, besides almost every tuner deals with aem, ive been running it for almost 2 years now ZERO issues and tuned 2 other nissans and 3 supras, it is a little on the expensive side but id recomend it. Plus if you want ill try and get you a good base map tuned (over email unless you live in socal) so you can drive around and fix final issues before you take it to your tuner.
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
ferrea/exhaust supertech/intake stk
supertech springs and retainers
bc valve guides v2 cams currently crower 288/288 (no good)
port and polish
arp head, main, rod bolts
osk timing
current: custom log mani, TIAL mvr,
later: ati SD garret gtx3071 currently in my possession looking for gtx3576
custom downpipe
lol:
sdaigle240 wrote:beat that thing like it owes you money.
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

I my self have a jim wolf ecu and its ok goes full 10.0 afr by 40% throttle but other than that car ran pretty good 14.5 cruising afr...but what I dont like is if u want to retune it u have to send it in 100$+shipping I feel retune should be free or at least 3 free ones ...I follow supakat on youtube and have researched megasquirt as well and gota say I like ms I would get ms 3 if it was plug n play because I have no idea how to wire( other than basic) or read diagrams such as that.....or if there was someone or company to pay to make it pnp that wouldn't charge u out the ×$#= for it
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

nissan240sx wrote:I my self have a jim wolf ecu and its ok goes full 10.0 afr by 40% throttle but other than that car ran pretty good 14.5 cruising afr...but what I dont like is if u want to retune it u have to send it in 100$+shipping I feel retune should be free or at least 3 free ones ...I follow supakat on youtube and have researched megasquirt as well and gota say I like ms I would get ms 3 if it was plug n play because I have no idea how to wire( other than basic) or read diagrams such as that.....or if there was someone or company to pay to make it pnp that wouldn't charge u out the ×$#= for it
We're about to release an MS3 based MSPNP. Pricing is going to be in the $1200 range. We could put one together for KAs if we had a 10 unit group buy.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
nissan240sx
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by nissan240sx »

is it going to be a ms pro pnp or just ms 3? doesnt pro have more bells and whistles. .and that would be great I am saveing up for ms as we speak. aslo is there a specific date on that? or should I just keep an eye out
1991 black 240sx R.I.P
1991 grey 240sx R.I.P
1991 240sx sold
1991 bmw e30 current
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

This would be based off the MS3-Pro. The regular MS3 is too bulky for us to use in a production PNP setup.

If a group buy went through, we'd probably be looking at a ~3 month timeframe from getting a test car in here (for an S13 - we have a stock-ish S14 hanging around the shop, but our S13 project had the motor pulled for a 2JZ swap shortly after development on the MSPNP was wrapped up).
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

might as well go for a used aem.... 1200 on a megasquirt??? its supposed to be cost effective. a used pnp AEM S2 is $6-800 if you can get a resale card or know someone who does business with promotion distribution you can get an AEM series2 brand new for the KA for $1100.
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
port and polish
osk timing
custom downpipe
lol:
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

MS3Pro is sick. I will admit it has more features than anyone of us might use but the boost by gear function and traction control is sick. I just updated the firmware on my MSPNP. The car runs smoother and it feels great. I am still very much happy with my MSPNP. AEM is nice but there are some things people fail to consider. Biggest issues is Peak and Hold drivers for low impedance injectors. You have to spend $200 extra for these drivers as with the MSPNP, it is built in. They work great with my Bosch 1600cc Low Z injectors.

But the initial shock of the sticker price on MS3 is crazy but after purchasing my MSPNP, I would rather spend that money on an ecu especially non-plug n play because of the versatility. Kudos to Matt, Jerry, and the whole DIY team. Customer service is great and no issues with the software/ecu on my end.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

supakat wrote:
Matt Cramer wrote: Generally, once the tune is set, it stays set until you throw another round of mods on the engine. The cold start is something that you may have to wait for cold weather to dial in if for some reason the default settings don't work.

Neverlift - can you email me at websales@diyautotune.com about the cranking issue? This is the first report I've heard of it happening with the trigger disc swap.
Only issue I heard with the tune changing is the trigger angle will not be the same when perform an update. I have yet to update so I have not experienced this yet.
Just to update this thread, I updated the firmware to 3.3.2. I backed up all my settings, tune, and what not. When applying the update, it asks if you want to preserve the calibrations of the sensors. Click yes. It will erase the eeprom, flash it back with update, and send back the calibrations to the ecu. I double checked my settings and only a few changed from the old which was rev limit, boost duty map, and something else minor. The reason why these changed was because the options/settings changed with the fw. I set the ecu to fixed timing at 20*. Turned on the car and it was at 20*. The trigger offset did not get affected.

Now to explain the cranking issue. With the old fw, the ecu would not sync majority of the time with trigger wheel. It took 2-3 times to sync and get spark to turn on. Now with the latest fw, the car syncs every time and it will start like a stock vehicle. This made my day yesterday.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
ViperGT

Post by ViperGT »

series 2 for ka has peak and hold
in a datsun 510:
arias 8.8 .020
eagle rods
clevite bearings
port and polish
osk timing
custom downpipe
lol:
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

ViperGT wrote:series 2 for ka has peak and hold
Good to know. I know series 1 did not have. Thanks for the update.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Dr1ftM1ss3le
NooB

Post by Dr1ftM1ss3le »

im new to the turbo world but not new to the automotive world. I have recently acquired a ka24e-t and it came with everything except a bov, and injectors. I got some 550cc sti injectors and a type r/s bov and slapped it into my car. it ran rich and crackled and misfired until I figured out that the maf sensor was stock. I got a maf from a 95 maxima and the car runs a lot better. runs rich when I let out of throttle tho and still crackles and pops at part throttle and im only getting 10mpg while im babying it. runs on 16lbs btw. my ecu is stock but its been flashed or erased or whatever, no way to tune it at all. I thot about enthalpy and nistune but really don't know whats best for my application. I want to keep the engine at 16lbs(think that's around 375hp at flywheel). I don't have much bank to work with btw. I heard enthalpy is a bit cheaper but not as on the dot as nistune, and I think with nistune you have to buy a separate programmer to fine tune it yourself, and enthalpy you just send back to get it fixed. sorry I may sound like an idiot but its my first turbo car, it runs on 16lbs, and I just turned 20...I am about to blow this thing if I don't fix my tune cuz its jus so addicting to drive. any info in appreciated, preferably lots of info.
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Dr1ftM1ss3le wrote:im new to the turbo world but not new to the automotive world. I have recently acquired a ka24e-t and it came with everything except a bov, and injectors. I got some 550cc sti injectors and a type r/s bov and slapped it into my car. it ran rich and crackled and misfired until I figured out that the maf sensor was stock. I got a maf from a 95 maxima and the car runs a lot better. runs rich when I let out of throttle tho and still crackles and pops at part throttle and im only getting 10mpg while im babying it. runs on 16lbs btw. my ecu is stock but its been flashed or erased or whatever, no way to tune it at all. I thot about enthalpy and nistune but really don't know whats best for my application. I want to keep the engine at 16lbs(think that's around 375hp at flywheel). I don't have much bank to work with btw. I heard enthalpy is a bit cheaper but not as on the dot as nistune, and I think with nistune you have to buy a separate programmer to fine tune it yourself, and enthalpy you just send back to get it fixed. sorry I may sound like an idiot but its my first turbo car, it runs on 16lbs, and I just turned 20...I am about to blow this thing if I don't fix my tune cuz its jus so addicting to drive. any info in appreciated, preferably lots of info.
well I hope you read this whole thread. As you can see by this thread, most will recommend a standalone, thing is, you will likely go to that if you stick around the KA-t setup anyway, so save your money. mail-in-tunes get old real fast!! Imagine getting your ride all buttoned up and ready to take it down the road for quick rip, aaaaaaaaand the afrs are jacked. So, take out the ECU, email-email-and email some more, then send your ECU in and wait....That Shlt is for the birds. Now imagine, getting your ride done and AFrs are not right, plug up the laptop and tune...take it for a rip!... Go with a standalone unit, period!

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

supakat wrote:MS3Pro is sick. I will admit it has more features than anyone of us might use but the boost by gear function and traction control is sick. I just updated the firmware on my MSPNP. The car runs smoother and it feels great. I am still very much happy with my MSPNP. AEM is nice but there are some things people fail to consider. Biggest issues is Peak and Hold drivers for low impedance injectors. You have to spend $200 extra for these drivers as with the MSPNP, it is built in. They work great with my Bosch 1600cc Low Z injectors.

But the initial shock of the sticker price on MS3 is crazy but after purchasing my MSPNP, I would rather spend that money on an ecu especially non-plug n play because of the versatility. Kudos to Matt, Jerry, and the whole DIY team. Customer service is great and no issues with the software/ecu on my end.

Does the MS3pro have integrated 4 channel EGT inputs? that would be badass!

Dr1ftM1ss3le
NooB

Post by Dr1ftM1ss3le »

well iv done some reading and searching, think ill go with the nismotronicSA package on their website. sounds like a promising set up and not too pricey. lot of guys seem to like the MS set up but its a little pricier than id like. idk I may have missed something, but as of rite now nismotronic is what ill go with. with my luck, the mail in tunes probably would turn into a nightmare like you described.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

I vote MS3. The options are very nice... Plus you can always take it to any other car or engine if you upgrade :)
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

TrackStarGT wrote: Does the MS3pro have integrated 4 channel EGT inputs? that would be badass!
Sealed connectors that are appropriate for thermocouples aren't easy to find, so we instead came up with an external EGT module that supports 8 channels.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/cane ... p-542.html

It works with both MS3 and MS2 based setups.