Re: airman's build - 9/6 video time

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Re: airman's build - 9/6 video time

Post by airman »

I did something bad yesterday. :twisted: I haven't had time to tidy up the garage yet so don't mind it...
Full resolution gallery

Turbo Dave FD Cage

Parts!

HX35 T3 vs HX40 T4 Twin Scroll

Hoping to get the car sideways like this again soon.

I finally have my shell. Time to get my ass in gear :D
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: A teaser...

Post by shift_down »

Ohhhhh too excited for this! Its been too long!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Same here brother! It'll be a few months before she's running but at this point, here is what I have and parts I know I need:

Have:
-KA24DE Block 0.020" over
-Arias 8.8:1 Pistons
-K1 Rods
-King bearings/ARP all around
-Cometic head gasket (can you still find the Cosworth? :/)
-Holset HX40 w/ divided T4 housing
-Tubular twin scroll manifold
-Lightly ported head, otherwise stock (valves etc)
-Turboholic's stage 2 cams
-Steel 1-piece DSS driveshaft
-New crank

Need to get &/or decide
-Megasquirt MSPNP2
-Injectors/Fuel (goal is 600hp for now on E85)
-Fuel cell (10 gal probably)
-All new fuel lines/fittings
-Suspension
-Wheels
-Differential (stock open one is in it now)
-hmm, what else.

I would say at this point I still need to make my plan and a few decisions on machining. The fellow I use for machining is now a good ways away from me, so I may be in the market for a new machinist or deal with the trip & time to get back and forth over there. Also can't decide if I want to spend the few hundred extra to have the rotating assembly balanced. Realistically everything should be internally balanced, but I am throwing in a replacement rod (the guy spun a bearing, parked it, bought stuff to fix it - ie the new rod & crank but never finished it). To me it would just be an insurance policy so I'm leaning that way, but don't want to spend the money if it's not totally needed :)

In the mean time I think I want to start working on suspension, brakes/hubs, wheels, but I don't have any of that picked out yet.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

yesssss..this is going to be sick!! Man I'd kill for your garage
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

S14wayz wrote:yesssss..this is going to be sick!! Man I'd kill for your garage
Thank you for the words! And Hey it's nothing too special, it sure beats my old situation of an asphalt apartment parking lot with no shade or a tiny gravel driveway the last two times I had a 240 :D
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Git 'er dun!
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

this is nice to see
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I'm glad you think so, my good man. I will deliver.

So, I bought a welder. Before I bought it, I had used a TIG welder once. I did alright, but I had no idea how to adjust the machine (imagine one of those huge portable contractor setups and never have looked at an AC/DC welder ever before) and it was set too hot and basically out of gas/not working so I had a bad time.

Anyway, I've been dying to get one of the AHP TIG welders on Amazon that people have been raving about. Let me tell you, they are flying off the shelves for a reason :) At $750 I don't think you can beat it. It seems really easy to use, I think the only common complaint is the manual is ****. Obviously I only have much to compare it to, but aside from maybe getting a nicer torch one day I feel like I could this thing and nothing else forever, lol.

I'm still learning the coordination/making them neat/using the right about of filler, but this was the first group of welds of some 1/8" angle iron for my welder cart. Not pretty but they'll be strong :) I used the 5/64 tungsten and 1/16 filler.

Ok, now onto the car :D I made a few tapped tabs for my front end/hood latch and made it "modular". I don't have a lot of space directly in front of the car, so this will make it easier to get the engine/trans in where it sits now.

I don't have pictures yet but I've taken the head apart and I'm ready to start gasket matching. If I get away from the plant early enough today I'll have time to get home, do my gasket matching, and then get it and my block over to the machine shop for some work. Stay tuned...
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

nice welder I'm in the market for one was looking at the Pro Mig 180 Lincoln just cause I can pick it up at a local hardware store chain that offers quick warranty if anything goes wrong. Can you weld aluminum with that rig?? I'm gonna look into that cause id rather have a TIG so I can weld IC piping and other aluminum parts easily and clean. Although I just found out that you can weld aluminum with a mig if you set it up right?? got lots of research todo im a rookie :P 750 is pretty much the budget too
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

For a budget of $750 this would be the best choice. It's obviously not a MIG but truthfully I started with a MIG and unless it was advantageous to have automatic "filler" feeding, I doubt I'll ever use a MIG again since buying this TIG.

Yes it will do AC/DC (so it welds anything) up to 200 amps as long as you're on 220V. I think it's around 150A when you're on 110V. It has everything in the box you'll need except your consumables (filler rod and a tank/gas). It comes with a 5/64, 1/16, and 3/32 collets, a 5/64 tungsten, and a few cups for torch.

You can weld aluminum with some MIGs, and it does require switching some stuff around/buying accessories.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Awesome, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Baller status head gasket - so glad these are still available. I got it at Enjuku, I think.

Doing some port work (gasket matching mostly) on the intake side. I suppose I'll do the exhaust as well, it's just a little time consuming :)

General roughing using a carbide cutting bit:

Then with 60 grit cartridge rolls, then 120 grit. First head I've ever ported so it's not perfect and I've got some nicks to repair on the flange (looks a lot worse in the picture), but it'll do :)

Slowly making progress. Once I get everything back from the machine shop, things will start picking up. While things are there, I'm going to start pulling suspension parts off. I want to get a VLSD/5bolt hubs before I set it back down on the ground ;)

Stay tuned, it's going to be getting crazy up in here soon :D
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

Looks sweet man, porting is so much fun..damn though must be kinda hard with that angle grinder setup, or does that husky alow the head of the tool to straightwn??. I find a ton more control when the mandrel and tool run linear with eachother
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I hear what you're saying! I definitely need a straight grinder, but I was able to find a technique that helped me with control. I kept the 'angle' section at a 90° angle to the surface I'm applying pressure. It doesn't jump and you can steadily and lightly shave away material. However, I found this out on my 4th intake port so hopefully I can do a better job in the exhaust :)
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

This thread is getting exciting, keep it up. I cant wait to see the real goodies though. I'm just gonna hang out and keep an eye on this.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

airman wrote:I hear what you're saying! I definitely need a straight grinder, but I was able to find a technique that helped me with control. I kept the 'angle' section at a 90° angle to the surface I'm applying pressure. It doesn't jump and you can steadily and lightly shave away material. However, I found this out on my 4th intake port so hopefully I can do a better job in the exhaust :)
Haha yeah dude I know exactly what you mean..after you do it once the second time is way better. These heads are pretty tough too I found the really small cartridge rolls worth their weight in gold, all the other pieces I got in my kit were huge, made for american v8 heads or something that would barely fit down the port lol. I need to get me some carbide bits though I bet there helpful. Keep us updated! Oh yeah what thickness did you go with the cosworth?
My S14 Build Thread
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

i actually only used sanding barrels at the end. craftsman sells an 8$ kit of 1/8" grinding bits (non carbide) one of them looks like an extruded pinwheel - basically a barrel with teeth running the length of it. it cuts a lot of material and doesn't cake up. it made my life super easy to rock that and then just finish with the desired grit. whole process went really fast. carbide however wasnt a good fit for aluminum... just cakes up. lookin solid man.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Re: Airman's 600hp strip/street rocket build thread

Post by airman »

I found a bit at the right speed, angle, and pressure gave me all the control I needed and it didn't cake up. I did ruin a couple at first until I figured out what I was doing though, lol.

Finished the exhaust side porting last night. Everything goes off to the machine shop today :D

I snapped a few pictures during my progress here to share what I went through. I've never ported a head before so I had to learn what I was doing and exactly what I wanted to do while working.

Chamfering the edge of the port to the gasket line to give me a guide

An idea of how much I'm taking off roughly. 3/32 or so

Side wall complete (you can kinda see the area I haven't touched in the "roof" and the step between where I've worked already)

Working on the inner walls - you can see my line

Completed exhaust port after roughing with the carbide and then cleaning up with 80 + 120 grit cartridge rolls

And finally a crude drawing of what I took off (in red). I show in blue the paths I concentrated on opening up and blending it all together. I've exaggerated the curves a bit to show my intent of straightening out the bend/pinch.

I ordered a set of GSP coilovers and suspension arms. You can grab the whole set for under a grand. Hard to ignore a deal like that, these are the "Gen 2" components so I think we'll be okay. Worth the gamble, anyway.

My goal is to start the suspension tear down this weekend and ready to start swapping in components when they arrive later next week. As I mentioned earlier, now that the head porting is complete I will be taking everything to the machine shop (today hopefully!) and also have them returned by the end of next week.

I bought a set of 2150cc injectors with 11mm tops. Beercan is selling me some of his 6an stock and I will drill 11mm holes for the fuel rail (got a good deal on the 11mms, more savings over the 14mm of similar size than outright buying the 11mm AEM rail). After that I need to decide if I want to play with a Walbro/cheap in-tank for now using the stock fuel tank/lines, or go ahead and get my in-line pump & fuel cell. I won't run E85 until I do that regardless.

Got a lot of stuff to do still, but I'm thinking I could be firing her up within a month :) I need to find 5-lug hubs and z32 front brakes. In the mean time I need to be pondering how I wish to do my water injection system.
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: airman's 600hp strip/street rocket build thread

Post by shift_down »

Make sure to switch out the gsp heim joints with good quality ones. All my joints are rusted, and I don't live in Amy horrible weather area. Just a heads up.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Ah so you're running GSP stuff? I missed that in your thread. And alright, thanks for the word. Is it just the fact they rusted or is there something else wrong to them?
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

They just aren't very good quality. They aren't lined with Teflon, so debris easily penetrates and seizes them. They havent broken yet, but I think it is very possible. The joints are rusted but they still move freely for now.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Ah I hear ya. I expected to find some lesser-quality pieces, so thanks for pointing it out :) Do you know if you have the Gen 2 or the Gen 1 arms?
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Oh that might be a point, but not sure. Mine are gen 1s.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

So - a progress report.

* GSP suspension is in 3 corners. Still need to do LR corner. Sliced my finger on a fender and needed 3 stitches couple weeks ago. Took me out for a week
* Engine back from machine shop. Valves & springs assembled
* Rotating assembly put together. K1 rods say to torque to 30ft-lb 60°. I found this to be around 55 ft-lb. ARP main studs to 60 ftlb.

Brief to-do list:
* Drill Q45 rotors for 4-lug. Put on Q45 brakes - Complete 6/21
* Source and swap in a J30 (found one on ebay) Sourced 6/21
* Will leave rear brakes/hubs stock for now. Still have to buy MSPNP2, that's higher on the priority
* Complete engine build & rebuild turbo
* Fuel pump and fuel cell + SS supply and return lines
* Put everything together
* Do donuts

I really wanted to see what it was going to look like. Plopped the head and turbo/mani on.

Take off fenders first next time

Keep yall posted :)
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

ouch that looks painful, how did you manage to do that? It's looking sweet though my dude..so porting its good to not open up the roof and floor because it can negatively affect the flow right?
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Actually, it only felt like just another knuckle-buster. Laid back and clutched my hand to my chest waiting for it to "cool down", so to speak. Started feeling wet on my chest...sure enough, blood :/ I was tightening the last of the bolts on the adjustable toe (?) arm on the front. Slipped off the bolt with the wrench and my knuckle went right into the sharp inside edge of the fender (the one showing when you don't have a bumper on).

As far as porting goes, I gasket matched the front the port and then blended it together on the inside. Most of the extra material was on the sides, so that's where I took off a lot of bulk. Either way, we're opening up the cross-sectional area of the port which is what we want (aka more area in each "slice") :)
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Engine is together :)

Waiting on oil squirters from courtesy parts. Apparently they're on order.
Don't rely on your machinist to remove these. Replacements are $40 a pop. He will forget they're there, even if you tell him to take them out before honing. A good, fair machinist will reimburse you, as he did (pretty much got the work for about half-price). But still, it's worth the trouble!
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

That's a bummer, nice guy to reimburse you, thankfully my machinist remembered and reinstalled them...
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Spreadsheet. Because see sdaigle's signature.

If I follow my schedule (some dates are missing because I have no ETA on some per-requisites), I should be firing this bad boy up somewhere in the neck of Week 28 (July 12 weekend). We shall see :)

About all that's left for me to buy (don't need to run broke by buying everything back to back, haha) are my gauges, FPR, and MSPNP2 for startup. Rear brakes/hubs, inline fuel pump/cell, COP, and wheels will come after startup. Then my fun begins. Traction-dependent boost control, launch control, flat shift, duel fuel (E85 in the fuel cell, 93 in the tank?), meth or water injection, etc.

Gon' be good, guys.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So, the machinist left the oil squirters in the motor and ended up breaking them during the cylinder honing?? Holy cr@p! Was he asleep during the honing? Or on crack?? I don't see how you would not notice them.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread