white smoke & no boost = ?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
jeremyuhh
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

white smoke & no boost = ?

Post by jeremyuhh »

so its been about 150 miles since i turbo'd my KA. Pulls and drives fine. AFRs are perfect and no vacuum or boost leaks. Drove today in about 80+ degree weather for 25 miles. boosting here and there on the freeway. Drove back 25 miles, boosting here and there again on the freeway. Once i exit, i notice a lack of power, felt as if the car was NA again.

At a stop, white smoke is coming out of my exhaust, not a ton but a good amount. Once i move it goes away.

I step on it a little and i see almost no boost. 0.1 bar at the least. i dont hear my BOV and i can barely hear the turbo spool.

My stock temp gauge is reading normal, my AFRs are reading normal.

Im currently at work and want to diagnose this before i go home, so I know to drive the car or not. Is this a blown turbo or blown headgasket, crack in my block, or leak in my intake manifold? I have not had a chance to check my oil nor my coolant reservoir yet.

any in put is appreciated. thanks.
Kruked
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: white smoke & no boost = ?

Post by Kruked »

Turbo or manifold bolts could've backed out.

My turbo studs all backed out last week. Loss of power, some smoke, but....very audible exhaust leak.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windshield, it said 'Parking Fine.'
jeremyuhh

Post by jeremyuhh »

I don't think they're my bolts. I checked those and they're still tight.

I actually drove home, still no boost, no bov, barely hear the turbo but no smoke at all. Before exiting the freeway I decided to do a 4th hear pull and I did hit full boost but it took about a Second to half a second to reach max boost. Shortly after, I come to a red light and a bunch of white smoke was blowing out of my exhaust again.

Checked my oil and it still looked new. Checked my clamps and they were all tight. But the water in my coolant resovoir went down a considerable amount.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Do a compression test and you will have your answer
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
jeremyuhh

Post by jeremyuhh »

shift_down wrote:Do a compression test and you will have your answer
did a compression test and got 160 across the board.

drove the car, pulled great, i was seeing full boost.

got back home after a 15 minute drive and now a TON of white thick sweet smoke was coming out of my exhaust.

checked the engine and i saw brown water dripping from my bellhousing. traced the leak from the bellhousing to my starter but i could not locate the origin. Im guessing its either a loose line or a crack in the block ? but my temps, compression, and everything else seem fine.

and if it was a loose line, how is an external intake hose seeping into my intake ?
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

A coolant leak shouldn't effect boost. You are not over-boosting, so we can take out the wastega..... wait, have you checked your wastegate? if the wastegate is stuck open, the turbo will not be able to build boost very efficiently. A kinked/collapsed line or stuck valve could cause something like this.

As for the smoke, is it coming from the exhaust tip?

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
jeremyuhh

Post by jeremyuhh »

yes, the white smoke is coming out of the exhaust at stops. only when i hit full boost and boost hard on the freeway.

if i drive the car normally and spool the turbo, there is no white smoke at all.

i took the car to a shop that specializes in 240s. They pressurized my radiator and located the source of the leak. It was a loose hose on one of the cooling lines on the intake manifold. This still puzzles me as to how its seeping into my exhaust.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Is the turbo liquid cooled?

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Could have been the intake #1 port could have had a small leak - in vacuum (aka idle) it can suck water in if it's loose. It wouldn't be a hose though, but rather on the head-to-intake flange. If the true fix was really a loose water hose around the intake, and didn't have to do with the cyl #1 port, I...I don't know how it would have been coming out of your tailpipe.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.