The Zenki KA-T build thread!

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
shift_down
SuperMod

Re: My '95 zenki build thread!

Post by shift_down »

Looks real good, keep it up!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TrackStarGT »

Did quite a bit of work yesterday, got the engine bay cleaned up, the subframe cleaned and reinstalled as well as the steering rack. engine bay is ready to receive its refreshed power plant.

Ended up having to deck the block which means more money and time. going with a cosworth head gasket and a new timing cover which Im waiting on so it can be decked with the block. I love the fact that my machinist has done KAs before and knew to tell me to bring my timing covers to him, we KA guys know this well but not all machinists know.

Anyway, cant wait for better more exciting updates: like motor built and going in! Better turbo! Transmission swap, clutch upgrade, etc...
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Awesome! I need to find a guy in mybarea that works on KAs too. Remember to center the steering rack as well.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

AFKOUKI

Post by AFKOUKI »

Great progress man!
Its weird I was thinking earlier how my valve cover would look in wrinkle red, and you did it to yours. Looks great!
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Some pics..
ImageImageImageImageImage

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

I dug up an old thread and ran across these coils. I really like them because they're aesthetically badass! Nice price too! Anybody have any objections to running them? They seemed to work for that guy, but we all know the true test is time. I haven't found much else about them, so if anybody has got some valuable knowledge please enlighten me, thanks! Image

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

No input on coils eh? Well block should be done any day now, which when it is, it will be built ASAP and dropped in the car. I guess I will be a guinea pig for the community, I will be running an evergreen timing set. I know the risk I run, and im willing to take. So stand by as I put miles and plenty of horseys through it. On another note, one of the Clevite 77P rod bearings that I ordered came damaged. looked like tooling marks on the bearing surface. I think it is safe to assume that it is unusable and am sending it back. Here are some more pics.

ImageImageImage

tacokiller07
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by tacokiller07 »

Nice build thread!! I, kinda wanting to see the final built engine running! Seeing how you said mega squirt was easy to install and getting familiar with it I might go the same route!
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Thanks much for the props on my build, I really appreciate comments like that.

That makes two of us at least lol, I cant wait to get this motor together and running like a beast. Right now the only thing holding me back from making 400 ponies are my injectors. I have some 550s in now that i could get maybe 650cc out of but really need to go bigger. Im looking at some 1600-2000cc injectors and a flex fuel sensor. I have one station that sells e85 and its in knoxville about 50 miles from me, the sensor would allow me to run 93 until I could get the e85. Another great feature of the MS ECU. And anything that can let me put AUDI R8 coils on motor must be badass and worth it..lol

street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

I wouldnt use vw coils, known for going out alot. I replaced my coworkers mk6 with r8 coil packs. Just run chevy coils. What turbo manifold is that?
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

well unfortunately its too late, got six of em on the way, two for back up. It is an OBX off of ebay, seems to be pretty good all around material and fab wise, fitment however, I had to take to my fab guy to have it tweeked. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Turbo-Manif ... a1&vxp=mtr

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Got lots of work done last night and today. Last night tore down the whole engine to plasti-gauge it. It clearanced perfectly on all five journals, which was a sigh of relief. Also checked the thrust bearing clearance, it was as tight as it could be within spec. .002 on each side. So, bottom should be good to go, i hope! Got it back together and put in the car, took an hour and a half with me my friend ryan and one gigantic engine hoist, lol.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Well I have a very irritating, yet funny story. I have the whole car almost completely back together, Im pretty much adding fluids at this point. So I filled the motor with oil and go to pull the dip stick and.......................no dip stick! OH $#i+ i said! lol. now I have to pull the whole exhaust side, turbo and manifold, which will take a freaking hour. I should have it running, or attempting to run, tomorrow.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Got the dip stick in lol, got everything back together, all fluids in battery in, turn on ignition and my 90* fuel fittings both started spraying fuel, couldn't get them to stop so ordered new fittings with barbs instead of the swivel. Waiting on parts to start it up yaaaaaay! fail!! Well see what happens wed or Thursday.....

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Got home and immediately jumped on the car, for the time being I modified the 6AN 90s on the ends of the rail, cut the ends off leaving the bend part hanging there, I plugged those ends into the rubber braided hose and clamped with worm gears. It held long enough for me to stab the distributor about 5 different ways, and got it to come alive which I was stoked to hear. Ran it about 30 seconds and blew the fuel line off the modified fitting lol. So I stopped there to wait on my appropriate fittings to show up. Can't wait to fire this bad boy up and hear it boost and growl! Haha , soon my friends!

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Well its together and its boosted! Again! woohooo! I made it to the gas station which is .2 miles away lol. It died on me on the way back. It is not wanting to start when its at operating temp. Any common things come to mind KA-Ters?? I did get a couple runs in third and fourth and its pulling well, boost is only hitting 140 KPa, thats only about 6 psi. so that makes me happy with how hard it was pulling.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So fresh and so clean clean.

One thing to look at for the starting issues is your CTS (coolant temp sensor). This sensor is used at startup to determine how much fuel to add or subtract. This is with the stock ECU, but I am sure MS has something similar for cold/hot starts.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Adamky, I think your right, I have been messing with the coolant based PW adder and it has helped. The car is running better and better the more I drive it. But there are a few kinks Id like to get worked out with the tuning. Such as: the clicking that Im getting with certain boost solenoid duty values, it makes a loud repetitive clicking/tapping noise. I would just like to get the table tuned right as well. Also, on deceleration from a rev, it drops below idle to about 400rpm then back up to idle around 1K. I would like it to not drop passed 1000 and feel more stable, still researching and trying to figure that out.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Got some more tuning done, the car is running great and pulling hard at about 10psi of boost. Im not going to run it higher than that until I throw bigger injectors at it. Even at 10-11psi I believe Im getting spark blow out at .032. I dont know if that is normal or not, but Im sure that problem will be solved with the COP upgrade that is in the very near future of the car. Also, at idle im getting a weird noise from the motor. it sounds metallic and sort of like a diesel but really soft not loud at all. Could it be valve lash? it aslo goes away when revved slightly, its only really at idle. Should I be worried? I broke the motor in with motomans method. So I hope that didnt have anything to do with it. Motor seems very solid and strong. Will probably take some video soon and post it..

shattabigz
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by shattabigz »

Nice build
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

Good to see you up and running. I think your ok on that noise. Of course tough to say without hearing. I had/have a tick/clack at idle that also goes away with revs. When I brought it to the machine shop to have a listen (I assembled though) he toyed with it and said if it goes away with revs it's likely not valvetrain. That would change pitch. At least for me, it was just piston slap at idleish rpms. Turns out A lot of people have it, even on this forum, and it's not an issue really for anyone. My cause was 2 things. Arais pistons are known for it based on the type of material. And in my case I knew before we started thst my wall - piston clearances were a little over size due to three hones over the years and used pistons. Maybe it's just a lil ole slap? As for the gap my 14 would blow out .032 right around 10-12 as well. Think I ended on .028 when I was running 13.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

I humbly thank everyone who has commented and complimented my build. It really means a lot and helps when times get frustrating with the car.

The car is running awesome and putting a smile on my face everyday, I drive it to work everyday 25 miles one way. I couldn't be happier. There are a few little things here and there that need attention but over all it is a solid running machine.

I do however have a little electrical bug somewhere, sometimes my fans don't kick on which worries me. I hate intermittent electrical problems!!

Anyway, more to come soon, I decided NOT to go with the VAG coils, because there is a buffer circuit that is necessary to build and I just don't feel like messing with that. I can build it if someone were to give me a board layout, but I have done tons of research and can't find what I'm looking for and the guys over at msextra aren't getting me either so I'm going with Ls2 truck coils.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

heres how the 40 looks now.. sexy if I might say so myself!!Image

working on getting the ls2 truck coils mounted and implemented..ImageImage

bought a bank of coils that was still on the oem mounting bracket and harness connected, broke it down to the coils and striped harness to reconfigure wiring and rewrap.

as far as mounting which is always the stumper with this mod. I bent the tabs on these coil holding brackets so I can run a rod and spacers through it similar to aftermarket ls coil remote mounting kits.

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

got the mounting unit built, now working on mounting to engine...

ImageImageImageImage

shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Oh nice fabrication. Good job on the coil mounting setup.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Thanks shift! I cant wait to get these coils running, waiting on a harness conector!! Then its big injectors, flex fuel sensor, and e85, should be able to pull 400hp out of this turbo, muaahhhahhhaha :twisted:

S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

looking great my man! Ehh careful with those spacers re-check the torque on em every once in awhile, I had a wheel come loose with my h&r spacers on my old s13 and the wheel literally came off when I was driving :/ 400hp sounds reasonable with the build!
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
thegreen240
NooB

Post by thegreen240 »

This is the biggest inspiration i've had for boosting my KA. I couldn't decide between an SR or KA-t but now i've made up my mind. Thank you for being so thorough. I'll be boosting mine within the next couple months :mrgreen:
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

Wow!! thanks for those compliments! As far as the spacers yeah they freak me out that they are there. New wheels are on the to do list, and of course I will be buying some with the proper backspacing so no need for a dangerous failure point. However, that being said, The spacers are of high quality billet aluminum and have been torqued the **** out of.. Thanks for the heads up!

thegreen240
NooB

Post by thegreen240 »

You should post some youtube videos of it running! I'd love to hear it.