Re: airman's build - 9/6 video time

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: airman's 600hp strip/street rocket build thread

Post by S14wayz »

shaping up man thats a beauty
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Go to the junkyard and get some z31 caliper tq brackets. Then buy 2006 altima rear discs and stock s13 pads. Made a whole leap of difference for me. With j30 front brakes and stock rears, the car would nose dive and rear end would lift while locking up front brakes. After doing this poor man upgrade, car stops as it should. Worth the hassle imo. Keep up the good work.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I won't be using him again, but his work checked out. He had never seen of/heard of oil jets (down in our area, just about all the blocks that go to a machine shop are old V8s I guess), and apparently did the block the night before at like 9:30pm and was tired, or something, had to put it on his Bridgeport and build a fixture, something something, whine whine. Luckily the only machining I had him do was the resurfacing of the head and block, along with the block hone. I had him measure clearances and swap out an old rod with a good one (the stuff I bought was a failed project - spun bearing).

Thanks S14wayz :)

Supa, I think that's what I'm going to do. Unfortunately I seem to have such a hard time finding junked imports around my town. I'll pay $20/ea + shipping for those brackets it someone can find them for me!

Engine pretty much done! I need to source a SOHC alternator bracket and tensioner so I can run one belt (PS/AC delete).

Q45 brake setup
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Big boy turbo with a legit manifold. Looking good so far.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

shift_down wrote:Big boy turbo with a legit manifold. Looking good so far.
Thanks! And yep, doing this one right. R@mon's intake manifold arrives tomorrow :twisted:
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Officially baller status.

torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

SELL ME YOUR INTAKE :)
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Haha no way, I just bought the thing! :twisted:

Just emptied the bank account (not really, but it hurts):

-Radiator + efans + shroud
-Wideband o2 + boost gauge (the AEM combo one)
-Mini water temp/oil pressure/battery voltage gauges from Autometer
-Big ole intercooler (4" core)
-A1000 AFPR
-TPS & Knock sensor
-Optima Redtop (WAY cheaper than I thought they were....I got the 34/78 for like $165 on Amazon)

WTB:
5-speed transmission crossmember + transmission mount
Engine mount brackets
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

this has seriously got me thinking about hx40 instead of a precision 6262 or something similar. Where did you get yours from? I found one on ebay $875 buyout with a tial 44mm WG + BOV...seems like a pretty damn good deal what do you think? Im going for same power goals as you 500-600 range...if i go new precision im going to be like $1600 in on turbo + WG + BOV (trying to save money where I can now).

heres the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turbo-Holse ... 52&vxp=mtr
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

All brand new? Yeah, that's not a bad deal at all. A 6262 would be nice, but Holset just screams reliability.

I don't know what it comes down to, I handed a fellow $2k for everything you see in the earlier pictures - minus the shell. Turbo, manifold, wastegate, engine, pistons, rods, new crank, arp head/mains, cometic head gasket, driveshaft, and a list of other things. Failed projects are another one's treasure!
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

damn man what a catch. Its so hard to find anything up here like that lol. Yeah all new seems like a pretty damn good deal if you ask me..I think I might hop on that. He doesn't list the AR though
My S14 Build Thread
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

so...your thread inspired me to impulse buy that HX40 :D Now what mani did you get with all that, looks custom. I always had my eye on a full race twin scroll maybe get lucky and find one for a good deal
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

It's a no-name, I think he had someone made it, but it's on-par with Full Race/AMS-style.

And hell yeah! Where are my other future HX40 brothers, haha. I'm so pumped for T4 twin scroll. Much excite, VERREHH NIICCEEE.
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

hahaha hell yah man, I was running around the house I got so excited lol. How you think a tubular mani will hold up against a hx40? Are you planning to brace it at all?
My S14 Build Thread
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I'm not worried too much about this manifold. It is at least schedule 40 piping and has 3/8" flanges. If it cracks, I'll weld it up and add some bracing.

I spent a pretty load on Amazon today - FPR, LS2 coils, radiator + fans, a bunch of relays, intercooler, TPS, knock sensor + harness, and probably some other stuff. Hooray Prime shipping and taking next week off from work :twisted:
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

So, first part of the week has been slow, but I have done everything I can while waiting on my final items.

-Suspension is complete
-Gauges are wired up and functional
-Relays for ignition coil and fuel pump in place
-Stock fuel lines ready to be plumbed into mounted FPR (Summit gets here today with all the remaining hose & fittings)
-Some other misc stuff

Really, not much small stuff is left. I mainly have only big things left now, a few small things.

-Get my MS3 Pro set up. That and the wiring harnesses arrive today. I will spend most of the night doing this.
-Mate engine to transmission (involving getting my rear main seal on first, then oil pan, then FW/Clutch/PP - still have all that to do). I need to find the best point to fasten the block/stuff to the hoist so I can unload it. Perhaps I can have this done today, too. Depends if I have what I need on my hoist to mount it and get the block off the stand.
-Mount engine/transmission into car. Can anyone measure the height aka thickness of the stock motor mounts? I have some nice ones for a G35 I never used. Probably a little tall, but I can probably cut up stock brackets I think to make them work.
-Test mount intercooler. Fab up cold pipe, weld BOV flange to hot pipe
-Figure out the best way, without having to cut up an old BMC for that ferrule, to get the rear brake line attached appropriately to my Z32 BMC. Thought about a metric to SAE adapter with a crush washer. But with brakes...I really don't what to mess something up if that isn't the right way to do it. I'll cut up my old BMC if I have to, but I pretty much see a ~$40 bill for a $0.10 ferrule and it bugs me!

Pictures:

Flaring fuel lines:

This is why. Don't mess with the $8 single flare tool. Go ahead and go with the double flare tool. Creates a MUCH stronger fit. You don't want pressurized fuel spraying out in a hot engine bay. Do it right or go home.

Gauges functional

Engine bay, wires floating around. Don't worry, these will be tidy

More gauge/electronics testing - the PO installed the switches in front of the shift boot for ACC/Fuel/IGN. Pretty cool, just wanted to make sure I understood how and that they worked. The red illuminated button on the center console is the start switch :D

That's it for this morning. Since it's just me, I wish I had better pictures of everything happening. Pictures are only showing about 1/10th of all the steps and stages.

Stay tuned! Perhaps a startup video this weekend...
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

If you can't nice numbers 600 whp will all that I'm gonna start bidding on parts. Keep it up, hoping for big numbers
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I have no doubt I will hit 600hp on this setup! I will be close to maxing out the turbo though, I think. That'd really be my only limitation. The intercooler I am using has a 4" core. 80mm TB, 2150CC injectors, stage 2 cams. After I get my fuel setup complete (cell + dual Bosch 044s) we'll be cooking :) When I do my fuel cell, I will have to decide if I want to go ahead and run -6AN or -8AN feed line all the way. Does anyone know the limitation of the 5/16 stock fuel line we run?

12psi for now on a Walbro 255, though.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

looks great man! can't wait to see some vids of the babe running =D. just one thing, wouldn't it be safer to trow another 600/700 bucks at it and get some valves and springs? think the stock ones will have a bad time dealing with all the horsepower you putting in to her. love the intake btw biga** mother xD
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Thanks for the comment sir :D I will work on putting together another head for the future with the right valves and springs. However, for now, stock valves and springs with my homemade port job is more than adequate for my early goals :)

My MS3+ got here today. So excited. The wiring looks quite intimidating, but when I realize I'm only using 4 wires for fuel, 4 wires for spark, 1 for crank angle, 1 for water temp, and I think a 5V for something...it's going to be rather simple in the engine bay.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

ahahahahahahahahaha, is safc better than tuned ecu? i don't get it(not good eletrician) why everybody does the creepy wiring stuff
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

SAFC merely tricks the stock ECU into making everything run. It does not even adjust for spark timing, which is absolutely necessary for tuning a turbo engine.

You really need at the very least a chipped ECU aka Enthalpy, Jim Wolf Tuning. The creepy wiring stuff and aftermarket ECUs are so we can tune and watch everything about our cars from our laptops in real time on the dyno and on the street, brotha :)
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

I'll measure the mount for you tomorrow morning if you still need it. Really digging the dash, what type of material is that? You still have to turn the ignition on to use a push start ya? I wonder if theres a cheap way to install some sort of system that reads a fob key signal like in the new cars.

oh yeah I was talking to a friend that talked to his tuner about fuel line sizing the other day cause he was in the same situation. Hes got an rb25 but should be somewhat similar, he said that generally speaking ideally 6an for about 600hp, 8an applications over 800hp, and 5/16 stock oem lines dont flow great past around 500hp but really depends what pump setup and motor you're using. Im sure lots is speculation and opinion but seems reasonable.
My S14 Build Thread
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

aaaw, right. tnks for the info and sry for intruding xD ahahahaha
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

S14wayz, no, I won't need a measurement on the mount. I was going to fab my own so I could get the engine in and keep moving, but I'm going to wait until I can find the right parts.

I have the driver side engine mount bracket, but that's it. I'm trying all local craigslist partouts I can. I ordered one on eBay but it won't be here until next week.

But dang, spend thousands in parts getting ready for this build and I don't have some small chunks of metal to get the thing mounted up -__-
S14wayz

Post by S14wayz »

Haha yeah dude I know that feeling. You just going to run stock style ones? I think I may order the circuit sports motor and tranny mounts
My S14 Build Thread
babowc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by babowc »

:icon-neutral: Sorry about the mount.. just let me know what it ends up costing! :angel:
p00t wrote:. A turbo is basically changing the size of your motor depending on your mood 8)
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

airman wrote:The creepy wiring stuff and aftermarket ECUs are so we can tune and watch everything about our cars from our laptops in real time on the dyno and on the street, brotha :)
Buy the bluetooth adapter and use your android phone or tablet to tune or use as gauges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhtPbOMlj5Q
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Supa the car looks great. Thanks for the vid. MS Droid looks super awesome and would be great with a tablet. Gonna have to check out that option!
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Got some progress on the LS2 coils:

Fabbed up a mounting bracket

Power & grounds soldered up:

Little bits at a time :D