custom fuel rails

Share ideas/designs/theories/tips/development:
(manifolds, chassis, personal projects, MIG, TIG, etc)
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

Walperstyle wrote:Have you had anyone complain with leaks due to angle? My latest video update in my build thread shows a slight angle, but it seems to be fairly snug. Should I put a washer between the L bracket and rail to build a little more angle?
no issues with leaks yet due to the bracket angle. know my injectors were slightly tilted when I ran my rail, also ran them at 55psi without incident. you can add washers if it will straighten it out for you, but I wouldnt say you need to. the orings should hold the slight angle fine unless its off by alot. would take a look at the vid here, but cant view videos at work. if it ends up being an issue, let me know and I will get it fixed for you. I want to see pics of it on the motor! =)
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

for those of you wanting to make your own rails, heres the dimensions i used. mind the cost of the tooling (my bits cost me over 500$)

missing one dimension it seems, they are 13.5" long rails
bracket dimensions for stock manifold
Last edited by beercandrifter on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
je_decoy
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by je_decoy »

just got my rail in today. still waiting on the injectors to come in but it mounts up nice on the xcessive mani. great quality work for a great price, for the people worried about cosmetics any aluminum rail will scratch easily unless coated. thank you sir awesome doing business with you.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

je_decoy wrote:just got my rail in today. still waiting on the injectors to come in but it mounts up nice on the xcessive mani. great quality work for a great price, for the people worried about cosmetics any aluminum rail will scratch easily unless coated. thank you sir awesome doing business with you.
thanks man!
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

would there be any interest for some 8AN sized 14mm fuel rails? they would cost about 30-40$ more to make, but if there is interest I can go ahead and order the tools to make those. have to buy a new port reamer and oring seat bit.

i know i have had 3 or 4 people ask me if i had larger bore rails in the past, this is primarily for the guys who are needing a much higher volume of fuel (guess that applies to e85 folks in the 500+ range)
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Installed mine today, I would post in the FS thread but my post count isn't high enough :(

The kit comes with 4 washers, when I installed two washers under each bracket the injectors seemed to have a lot of wiggle room, I could spin them around easily. I took a washer out of each side and the injectors are seated much more firmly in the manifold now. The injectors don't look angled, but even if they are the o rings should account for it. If I run into any issues I'll make some brackets, but I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the rail. Great deal, and even better that it comes from a member of .org! Thanks again Beercan!
smbonn2005
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by smbonn2005 »

If you make the 8AN ones, could we work out some kind of trade? I was one of the people asking about bigger before lol.
Charlie240sxt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Charlie240sxt »

Vary vary intested in a rail let me know when you get the next batch done.
04 Audi A4 1.8T ,95 240sx SE,12 Ram 2500 HD
........Daily................Toy................Tow/Haul.......
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Chris28 wrote:Installed mine today, I would post in the FS thread but my post count isn't high enough :(

The kit comes with 4 washers, when I installed two washers under each bracket the injectors seemed to have a lot of wiggle room, I could spin them around easily. I took a washer out of each side and the injectors are seated much more firmly in the manifold now. The injectors don't look angled, but even if they are the o rings should account for it. If I run into any issues I'll make some brackets, but I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the rail. Great deal, and even better that it comes from a member of .org! Thanks again Beercan!
Thanks for the comments!

The washers (the single or a pair) tend to eat up slack with some of the different variants of injectors. most of them are very close in length. doesnt cost me much to include the extras for you guys if there ends up needing to be some adjustment for the injector length.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Cool. I figured only running one washer under each bracket wouldn't matter, and the injectors are seated much more firmly. I'll post some pictures in my thread once it's all together!
beercandrifter

8AN fuel rails

Post by beercandrifter »

mmm, 8AN fuel rails. the big boys

for those crazy guys with crazy ka's

8AN's on the right (batch of 5)

Corn lovers dream. 6AN beercanv1 left, 8an beercanbigboy rail on the right
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

That's huge!

(Insert jokes below)
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

so in future rails, I am going to swap to utilizing socket head allen type bolts as opposed to the button head allen bolts. it will give a bit more strength due to a deeper allen socket and will be less prone to stripping. will stick with the stainless self locking style
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

So I bought the port reamer for the bigger rails, initially got the wrong one in, had to rma it. Got the correct size in and its a 3/4 shank which does not fit in a 5/8 chuck very well. On a mission today to find a machine shop to turn it down or come up with a way to modify this 300$ bit so I can use it.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

not a machine shop left in town. that is really lame. all of them closed down, all that's left is some ones that do block/head only work.
so, did it myself with my precision equipment

and voila (its actually straight, bad perspective in the picture)

and supa's custom 8an rail rockin' purple fittings
Salvarath
Learners Permit

Re: custom fuel rails

Post by Salvarath »

Hey Beercan, do you make these for the KA24E too?
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

Salvarath wrote:Hey Beercan, do you make these for the KA24E too?
I do not, sorry
pipelinewill
Learners Permit

Post by pipelinewill »

hey this is really cool. i checked out the tools i have access to (my car is stored in an unused metal shop) i should have everything i need. i got some -8an stock from rmr and tapped the ends to 1/2"npt. this didn't require drilling the id was already correct. now i'm trying to figure out how exactly to do the bores. a 7/16 flat endmill appears to make great smooth bores within .005 of the 11mm injector o ring diameter. just wondering exactly how deep the 7/16" bore should taper down to something smaller, or if this is even necessary, could i just shoot strait thru at 7/16"? thank you. i really wanted to buy your rail but diy was the only thing in the budget.
pipelinewill
Learners Permit

Post by pipelinewill »

ok so i just put together a rail, no mounts yet, it feels good, i should have the fuel system hooked up by the weekend. i'll tell you guys if i was able to make it seal using only imperial tools, could be some good info. total cost so far is 26 dollars and many hours including making adapters for my intake manifold. my adapters are again made using scrap, imperial tools and hardware store o-rings. so we'll see. fingers crossed, 60% chance says i've been wasting my time and it blows fuel everywhere, but it was worth a try.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

i really wanted to buy your rail but diy was the only thing to do because you don't make sohc rails, but man those prices, they are much cheaper than I can do myself!
Fixed =)

If you want to mark up/punch your rail (where the injectors need to go), I can drill out the fuel injector holes for you (for a price). Unfortunately I don't have dimensions for you on depths of the different bits (I have custom made bits that handle that for me)

oh, don't use regular rubber o-rings, you will set your car on fire. Gas eats through the rubber really quick. Go to summit racing and buy some viton o-rings and save yourself the trouble of melting a car.
TariqKa-t
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by TariqKa-t »

nice work
1995 S14 KA-T "Trucky"
11.2@136 mph
Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpxu7V ... subscriber
pipelinewill
Learners Permit

Post by pipelinewill »

i havent been online for a while, but the car runs, turns out you can use a 7/16 endmill to make 11mm bores. just drill out to 13/32 first so id doesn't wander (endmills want to cut sideways and will drill an oversized hole if you allow them to). i used an endmill because it leaves a smoother surface than a regular drill bit. i strait flute reamer would be better, obviously an 11mm reamer or expansion reamer would be ideal. i would reccoment buying one if you only have imperial tools tho because i had fuel leaks the first 2 times i installed the rail. there is 0 tolerance for mistakes in the mounting angle and offset if your holes are a few thou oversize (i.e. drilled w/ imperial bit). i think my injectors may not be sealed to my maniflod because it runs lean. it also has a new haltech that is untuned, but it seams like i have to put un-reasonable values in my ve table to hit target afr.
VjimmyV
NooB

Post by VjimmyV »

whats up guys new here :) ka24de-t twin cam swap in the works, about these fuel rails are you still making them? and stupid question these are for the 370cc injectors right?
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

PM beercan. He is currently trying to sell his stock. These are for top feed injectors, not side feed. If you are talking about Nissan SR20 370cc injectors, they are side feed and stock fuel rail will only work.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
marsworld
240sx Wannabe

Post by marsworld »

Was browsing through all he comments. Didn't find my answer. Curious as to if you make these with out a return line?
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

marsworld wrote:Was browsing through all he comments. Didn't find my answer. Curious as to if you make these with out a return line?
They are extruded rail (bore goes all the way through the stock). You can make them returnless on the rail by putting a end plug on one side of the rail (assuming you have an existing returnless fuel system with its associated electronics), thats how they do it with the aftermarket ls fuel rails that are returnless. The o-ring AN fittings (including plugs) are designed to handle well over the stock fuel pressure.
hooligans661
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: 8AN fuel rails

Post by hooligans661 »

beercandrifter wrote:mmm, 8AN fuel rails. the big boys

for those crazy guys with crazy ka's

8AN's on the right (batch of 5)

Corn lovers dream. 6AN beercanv1 left, 8an beercanbigboy rail on the right
Hey Beercan, do u still offer ur specialty made -8 big fuel rails? If so, please pm me or even a text at 6613758725. Very interested brotha!
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

Its wild comparitively how much larger diameter those 2 are.