Freeze plug removal technique

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
dj_smooth
240sx Wannabe

Freeze plug removal technique

Post by dj_smooth »

Coolant leak from my freeze plug. Never pulled the intake mani from the block before. First time all day and the mani was split into 2 sections. 2nd time 30 minutes. Freeze plug was a paint to pull. I could not bend it in half and pry it out. The first one I did wouldn't seal. I had to do it a 2nd time. This time I permatex the freeze plug and JB welded it because I didn't want to risk it leaking again. Not proud of it, but at least it won't leak.

Quick tip, my freeze plugs would not come out. I used a Dremel to weaken the edge without cutting through and scaring the block ( ok so I scared it just a little).

schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Freeze plug removal technique

Post by schmauster920 »

One of the basic things i havent had great luck with. Ive had them seal if the surface was super clean with a little RTV. I like the JB weld idea, but i agree... how are other people doing it? Online i just see people tapping them in and go.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
erich
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Freeze plug removal technique

Post by erich »

The correct sealant is avaition form-a-gasket. Do it right and it seals for decades.