portuguese 240 ka

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: portuguese 240 ka

Post by torquefreaks »

if there is fuel in your block then your injectors are either stuck open or mad rich and filling when its not starting. would explain the black smoke when running and why u need throttle to start it.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well martin said it could be that the maf was bad wired but i don't think so cus it ran well before. maybe it broke, dunno....anyway, did a compression check and showed 155#1 160#2 160#3 158#4, so that's all good i guess. 0 vacuum leaks, injectors are all ok. replaced turbo with another one and does the same.....still trying to figure it out. car is really stuck at 2k now basically, won't pass that. oil level is ok, just a mm or 2 under the max because of oil cooler.

if you guys get any idea of what might be the problem plz tell me. i'm dying here in this god forsaken country xD
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by cham »

Try a different maf
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well, fixed the problem. maf chassis wire was not making good contact.....(stupid xD). was running all nice, but then she began to smoke alot of white smoke from the exaust after 5km, and now she won't start....only when giving alot of trottle she starts and dies almost right after. afr is on 22.4 again. when i went away to ride abit she was doing 14.3-14.6.......this sucks.......
cham

Post by cham »

I'd change out the maf to begin with and have martin to give you the correct way to hook up a maf. I don't believe mine Is hooked to the chassis. If you hook it up wrong you stand a chance of damaging your ecu
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

ok, so i checked for problems and i found them.....=( gasket between the head and intake mainfold gave out, this led to water in the engine, what resulted in a fcking blown hg..... this is depressing man.....

anyway, got the mishimoto in few days ago and it's all mounted and wired up with a switch. hg and intake gaskets are on it's way, so i'll start dismounting her...

just a question, do i need to flatten my block deck? it's only got like 400miles on it...head will be send to machine shop to check, but i think it won't be needed.

she pulled nice though xD. the ka is a crazy bi***
cham

Post by cham »

Some prob will say yes. I haven't ever known anyone to have the block done. But then again I'm new to boost and none of my friends have forced induction. But they have had heads built and never touch the block and never had any problems. One thing most guys sat to do is leave your top timing cover on so they take off the same amount all the way across. I think if the timing cover doest match the head, it could cause a problem. Could some one chime in on this?
s13240
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by s13240 »

That's looks like an awesome build. Was the block decked the first time you put the motor together?
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

LoOKS like it from the pictures. but doesn't look like the timing cover was machined with it. I made that mistake and blew two head gaskets before figuring it out. I used a straight edge and feeler gauge. then I filed the timing cover down in the engine bay. lots of work.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

yes, block and head were both decked at the start of the built. timing cover wasn't as torque said, but the problem was caused by overheat. damn radiator hose snaped and fcked everything up. i drove home with her after i fixed it but it bugged out alot. lucky for me i was near home. gonna take the head of first, then i'll take some pics and see the damage. hope it's only a gasket.
have an drift event comming up 6 december and it's pretty big, so i wanted to go there and prove my skills, see if i can get some sponsors. if it all goes well next year i'll be doing nacional drift championship =D.

ps: all the portuguese guys drive pussy sr's, so they won't even know what will hit them xD ahahahahaha
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

Check the deck/timing cover with a straight edge. because I overheated mine and thought that was the cause but just turned out to be a contributing factor. Because ive never blown a head gasket from a one time over heat.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

a friend mechanic of mine told me the same, but it only costs me 30euros to get it all checked out so, not worth staying in doubt. i'll send the timing cover along with itto get it right.
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

EXACTLY, same goes for the cylinder head when you get it resurfaced make sure the upper timing cover was on it because its also doweled.
Tyrell240
240sx Wannabe

Post by Tyrell240 »

I'm so paranoid about my HG popping because I also somehow looked over how important it was to get the covers machined. I'm at 350 miles without an issue at the moment. How long did it last?
I'm new so take it easy... But if it's easy take it twice
cham

Post by cham »

Mine has lasted 10yrs so far. Been boosted for only 7 months. My heads been off 3 twice by regular mechanics. They don't know about arp studs. I get head lift after 100mph or on high boost. But then again I've had 2 brand new thermostats that went bad and ran my temp up alot before I just said bump it. I run my car without a t stat. I know my felpro is on its last leg but I'm waiting till I get xmas over and get my head completely built. I just got another truck so I don't daily the car anymore. But when I drive it I'm on 15psi and I play around with it pretty hard. It only pushes a Lil coolant out. With my head being shabed twice, I know these regular mechanics didn't send my timing cover to the machine shop. I just found out also. But I do remember when the engine was first assembled by top hat performance. They called me and said I needed to get a new oil pump cover before they could do the build. 10 yrs ago it was $100 for the cover
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

I think if you are running low boost you will probably be fine. no turbo n/a you'd never blow it. I did about 1000km on 17psi. maybe 200km on the second but that was on the dyno pushing constantly. If your using a cometic you better make dam sure that timing cover is perfect with the block or slightly below with some silicone :) lol
Tyrell240
240sx Wannabe

Post by Tyrell240 »

Yup cometic is what I'm running fml... I guess I'll run it til it pops but at least I know what to expect
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

How much boost
Tyrell240
240sx Wannabe

Post by Tyrell240 »

I have 300 miles on the motor at 10 psi. Planning on running 16 once I get the aem hooked up and dialed in
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TrackStarGT »

Tyrell240 wrote:Yup cometic is what I'm running fml... I guess I'll run it til it pops but at least I know what to expect
Guys, 99.9999% of gasket failures are NOT from the gasket, it is from anything but. If your tune is right, and you have done everything else you're supposed to do for an MLS gasket, then you have nothing to worry about. Also, running the AEM will give you over boost protection, which will save any head gasket Fel-Pro to Cosworth.
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
Tyrell240
240sx Wannabe

Post by Tyrell240 »

Yeah I'm not saying I expect it to blow because it's a cometic but because I didn't machine my front covers with the block\head there is a good chance.
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

yea, this hasn't anything to do with headgaskets just the work required to guarantee that they do last. the metal headgaskets require very good maching of both surfaces with the timing covers on. I filed my timing cover down after blowing two head gaskets and now I have a cometic. No issues yet at 18 psi.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

yup, mine did like +/- 500miles i think (i don't understand inch and miles sizes all that well xD) it did 650km. but it only blew up because of overheating and coolant in the system. idle afr are not that good yet also. still read about 18.5-19/20.

is the plastic intake gasket reausable?
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well, started to work on her at lunch pause, and i hope i have some time tonight to get the rest of

this is as far as i got
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

got everything hooked off the head and hope i'll take it off today and send it to the machine shop tommorow.

little box to keep all the bolts together

240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

ok, got the head of and saw a few things that i found rather strange.

first one was that cyl#1,#2,#3 are all clean on the intake side and #4 is all black. any input on that?

second is that my intake valves are hitting the pistons, but she runs smooth. no noise or anything

head shows the same

gasket looked neat, but the coolant hole is all fcked up, hard to see, sry for the bad pic. also the rings between cyl#1\#2 are trashed. how can that be?

how she sits now....
Tyrell240
240sx Wannabe

Post by Tyrell240 »

That's very strange that the valves are hitting the pistons like that. Something is definitely not right. When I first got my long block built I rotated the motor by hand to make sure everything spun freely. I think you would have noticed something like that right away. Only thing that makes sense to me is that you somehow jumped a couple teeth on the timing chain.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Curious to see whats up. Double check your cam timing, but both valves are hitting.. weird
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well got her fixed up and running again. sorry for the delay on update, been lazy as fck xD, just spooking around.

how she sits now

still got the idle problem..... always at 22.4... checked for vacuum leaks, fixed one, and then found nothing more.
when i pull her up she pulls nice, after 2krpm she shows 12.5/13afr and doesn't bog or anything, but at idle i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep her running.
she jumps from 1k to 2k rpm..... any insight?
mewantkouki
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mewantkouki »

recirculate your blow off valve