portuguese 240 ka

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Re: portuguese 240 ka

Post by BigLoukaT »

mewantkouki wrote:recirculate your blow off valve
Looks like he is on a blow thru maf setup
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

How heavy/solid did that manifold feel?
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
Tyrell240
240sx Wannabe

Post by Tyrell240 »

What did you figure out with the valves hitting?
I'm new so take it easy... But if it's easy take it twice
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

valves hitting must have been at the beginning. when we finnished her for the first time it was working the wrong way, pulling from exaust and pushing from intake, so i think it was there that the valves hit. that's all fixed up now, timing is all good. found out the idle screw was full of totaly closed, as i opened her up she began to idle more or less good. got her at 1k rpm now and stays steady, but still have to play with the trottle so she won't die on me.afr are now 16/17 on idle, so i think that's pretty ok. any thoughts about why she might shut off without the trottle play?

thanks guys, appreciate the support =D
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Sounds like you have IACV issues. There are two idle valves (automatically open and close with temp and AC) The main one is the IACV on the back of the intake in the curl of the runners.

The IACV works as an idle speed screw to adjust your idle RPMs in real time. It might be unplugged. They also get gunked up and eventually need cleaning. Theres a thread or two about it if you search on here or google.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
torquefreaks
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by torquefreaks »

I think that's a bit lean for idle, im pretty sure I read somewhere that the ka wants it to be on the rich side of stoich but don't quote me, mine idles at 14ish
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

got her down to 14/15 afr at idle, but still have to contantly tap the gas pedal a little bit to keep her on. searched abit and found out about the tps. checked the resistance and that is probably the cause of the idle problem. closed trottle body should be at 10k ohm and wot 2k ohm. mine is showing 18/19 partially open and at wot it's at 6/7.

iacv works fine, as the afr change with the adjust screw.(tell me if i'm wrong)
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

tried to start with the tps unplugged to see if idles, starts, then dies right after....still no progress.

tried another tps i had from the other engine, shows same values as the one it had mounted.....
cham

Post by cham »

I deleted all emissions and all boost leaks. Played with the idle screw and throttle cable. My car idles at 900. I'm running enthalpy tune on e85. My car won't idle or stay on when I 1st fire it up. I give it some gas until it warms up. After that my car is fine for the whole day. And I'm running open blow off valve. I noticed my car cranked fine when I switched to blow through, but it dirtied up my maf so I switch back to pull thru. I got a safc but never got it installed. I heard that could clean up the problem if you set it right.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

i did the same, just clean air from turbo to the engine, no emission or anything. gonna try some more things see if she gets there.
if anybody got some ideas on this, i'll be pleased to see them.
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

checked timing just to be sure, but it's all good.

240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well i'm fcked and don't know what's up with this thing..... ordered a new maf and it's here maybe thursday or wensday. let me know if you know what it might be

here's a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKzbtfq ... e=youtu.be
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I bet the distributor is off a tooth. If you have a good feel, you can roll it back a tooth and try. If that doesn't work, you can try rolling it forward two teeth to try both sides of your initial timing mark.

I also would have checked all the valves for leaks. You can do so with gasoline or mineral spirits.

This video kind of outlines it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reAuAbazfOc
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

thanks alot, gonna try that to see if it makes a difference.

also to a question you asked about the mainfold i expect it would be the exaust mainfold. it's pretty heavy, got thick walls, good welds and places the turbo at a real nice angle, more room for the MBC, so i'm pretty happy with it. it's from cxracing, and they got an even thicker one but costs a 200bucks more or so.

about the head leaks it was all tested at the machine shop and it was all sealing well. pressure test/ valve stem seals test/ valve sealing test and resurfacing was all done. paid 65€(+/-75$) for that all with the transporting to home, so that's pretty decent here and cheap. only thing i would like that they has was a hotbath to clean the engines, but they don't know it here.

thanks for the info =), if it works i'll post it ;-)
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

Tested before or after valves contacted the pistons?
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

after. it was tested when i dimounted the head and send it there. so that is all good. also i don't think it's timing as i got everything lined up as the pics above, but i will try it
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

Sounds good. FYI, I would still check all valve seals myself before installing a head and I always will. Many people don't know to do that, including professionals. If everything is good it takes 5 minutes to test every valve and then you know life is good. I found out the hard way because my car would not make any more power past 15psi of boost. When I pulled the engine apart which had been running fine for years at 12psi of boost, turns out it had a cracked valve that was really, really small.

Also, distributor timing is very easy to mess up. Back when I was doing a lot of KA stuff, that was by far the most common mistake when reassembling an engine.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

yup, that's true. i testes it when i first mounted the engine and all the valves were sealing well. told the machine shop to test it again just to be sure.

so i tried to rotate the distribuitor one way and wouldn't even start (one tooth clockwise) and the other way it also doesn't start, but bogs alot, like it's trying. put it all back in place and now she won't fire up....think the spark are gone again, 3rd set it burned. gonna put some new sparks tomorrow. the should start and idle without the maf,iacv, tps connected right?
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

This thread has a lot of info on various timing problems:

viewtopic.php?t=49594
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

thanks alot =D. checked it again and was the middle sprocket that was off by a tooth. love you guys for showing all the interest and helping me out. so i got the car to idle nicely, and more or less stable at 14/14.5 afr(at 1.2k rpm) but it will swing sometimes and go up to 2k rpm, this happens randomly. and it won't pull more than 2,5k rpm. so i think my maf is bad. will get a new one on tuesday i hope and get her running smooth. have a drift event this saturday and hope i can make it till then.

if u guys got any ideas plz tell me.

thanks alot again :D :bowdown:
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well, was the maf that was bad. after alot of playing with tps idle screw and trottle body i got her to (what i think) perfection. 14.3/14.4 on idle after warmup, 10-10.3 on wot and 15-15.5 on cruise. pulls like hell, runs like a champ and this babe just makes my hearth beat faster. thanks alot to all the people that helped. it really meant alot to me, as i'm on my own here in portugal.

saturday is the drift event i will be going to, so i hope to get some good shots and a few movies and post it here.

also, i'm thinking about building my other engine i have lying around and prepare it for some bigger fun, maybe i'll go with the bored and build block, +1mm valves, ported head, id1600cc, safc (thinking about witch one) and hy40. fmic thinking about it but i'll probably will go for a 4''core. exaust, piping and intake will be made at home i think.

i'm gonna leave the farm and will go to work in a car shop in france, don't know the date, but will definitly happen. and thinking about going to america after.
Tyrell240
240sx Wannabe

Post by Tyrell240 »

How many psi are you running? my afrs were the same at wot right around 10.0-10.2 and the car stunk like gas bogged down and fouled the plugs after only 300 miles. Bring a extra set of plugs with ya where ever you go
I'm new so take it easy... But if it's easy take it twice
cham

Post by cham »

I'm in the 11's @ wot. What's your fuel psi?
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

had to up the fuel pressure a bit, it's at 40 at idle and +/-45 under boost. walbro 255 can't handle the delivery. gonna swap out for a dw300 when i have the chance. car is running on 8psi only now. firs get a better wastegate and blowoffvalve, then i'll go to 15 and later 20. first play with her like this and get to know the car. i won't make much km with the car so i can't give any good feedback on the parts i bought, cus i don't have money to fill her up all the time xD ahahahhahaha
cham

Post by cham »

Fuel psi should be 45 with vacuum unhooked from the regulator. I wish the old ka-t page was stI'll up. 8psi is nothing. All everyone ever used was a walboro. They push big boost on 93oct +...you may wanna rewire your fuel pump if you're still using the factory wires
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well, some people say it should be at 38psi at idle and 43 unhooked

i will rewire it and get a dw300, or the 400 just to be sure
cham

Post by cham »

Martin from rs enthalpy told me 2bar
TrackStarGT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by TrackStarGT »

I seriously doubt that your walbro 255 is not delivering enough fuel. I have one and it was pushing 50 psi of e85 at 19 pounds of boost and still have some room.
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
240sxpt
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 240sxpt »

well, went to the track yesterday to do some drifting and got fcked real nice.....head cracked and puts air pressure in the water system.....so it's pretty fcked up all....

gonna take the whole engine out again.....rebuilt my other block and then in the future i'll get a used head for this engine....

pretty sad about it.....more than half a year is gone and still no fun out of it.....
cham

Post by cham »

Well I went to the track and ran my car to 116mph and noticed my coolant pushed out a Gatorade bottle full. So u turned my boost down to 15psi. I still beat the hell outta my car, but I dont go past 105mph. Over the winter I'll be doing the same with a spare head. I've had this problem for months. BUT I haven't pushed coolant since I turned down the boost. I feel your pain btother