First Person View R/C flying... anyone?

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
adamky
SuperMod

First Person View R/C flying... anyone?

Post by adamky »

FPV flying (radio control planes and helicopters) has been exploding lately. I've wanted to get into it for a while now, but it's pretty expensive to get started. Regardless, I finally talked myself into buying a small quad helicopter so I can do some FPV flight. I bought this: http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frame ... opter.html so that I can do some of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalBqScVqYI

A lot of guys get these big setups that can fly thousands of feet in the air, and that's why the FAA is about to crack down on them hard. I'm just looking to have some fun like you see in the video above, in local parks or wooded areas. Can't wait until I can start practicing.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Re: First Person View R/C flying... anyone?

Post by supakat »

12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yup, that's the kid of stuff that can get you in trouble:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcne ... fireworks/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcne ... e-flights/

There have also been numerous close calls with idiots flying their drones way too close to real planes and helicopters. Some of these drones are pretty big and a strike into critical engine or control areas could cause enough damage to bring a plane down. Even though the vast majority of people flying drones are using them responsibly, it only takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone.

I'll be flying mine at lower altitudes (less than 400 feet) and way away from any airports. I'm going to bring a spotter with me when I fly and avoid flying anywhere where other people are around.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I still need to figure out where to run a couple of wires for the FPV setup, but it's 98% complete. I got it up in a hover for about 30 seconds in my living room. Seems very stable so far.

Frame and all of my parts

I'm trying to decide If I should install my Spektrum telemetry setup so I can monitor battery voltage and GPS remotely. There is room on the top of the quad for both items. It would add about 32 grams to the overall weight, which isn't much. However, every gram counts on a quad this small.

The only other thing that I will be adding are LED light bars on each corner. I'll be making these with 1/4" aluminum square tube and stick-on LED strips. I already included connectors for these on the power distribution board. This will help with orientation (for LOS flying as well as to help my spotter see it) and hopefully will make it easier to locate if it goes down.

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Well, it looks like I am going to be forced to sell most of my spare KA parts. Full turbo kit, wheels, etc., will all be up for sale in the next few weeks. But, this is my new favorite hobby so I am going to try and keep my quad rotors and start making lots of videos.

Here's my first video using a micro FPV quad called the Nano QX FPV. The video quality isn't the greatest for several reasons. But this was my first attempt at video editing ever and I'm still fairly happy with how it turned out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPVUsI2FNQg
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Pretty cool. Sad to hear you putting the turbo setup for sale. I started playing with jet skis about a year ago. Luckily I can keep boat hobby's. But jumping waves is freaking fun. Maybe in 3 years I will get a stand up and start doing back flips.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I've slowly been improving my piloting skills. This was the last video that I recorded: https://youtu.be/U_T3IOoqans
PeterLight
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PeterLight »

Man, I would love to get me one of these.