Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
supakat
SuperMod

Re: Supercharged S14 - Part 2

Post by supakat »

Same thing happened to my friend about a year ago in his ka-t s14 with mazworx kit/z32 tranny. The output shaft twisted, popped, and exploded both bags. Luckily he had a helmet on as the air bag left a nice mark on his chest. Same thing happened to TRC 2j s14. Popped an axle and bags deployed.

Drop that z32 in and have fun again. Replace the wheel with a nice one non air bag and put pods in the pass air bag or a touch screen to tune.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

Dammmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn that suuuuuuuucks. drag racings bad ummm kay.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Lesson learned... next time I'll pull the airbag fuse at the track! And next time I'm at the track I'll be running a Z32 trans. It's a strong trans, so the weak point will then be my axles.

I got the dash almost all the way out today. I just have to remove the steering wheel and it should come right out. I'm supposed to pick up another dash some time next week from a local guy. And another local guy has an S14 steering wheel with intact airbag and also the cruise control switches/buttons. I'm going to put airbags back in and I'll just pull the fuse when I hit the track.

I'm going to start removing the transmission tomorrow. I've got the Maxworx Z32 trans kit, with a white bunny clutch setup. After all of the issues I have heard recently about starter issues on Z32 swaps, I sure hope the starter works with the flywheel.
Last edited by adamky on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Don't worry, the starter issue is with xcessive setups. I think i got mine ironed out but only a matter of time before I can really say I got it figured out. What rear end you running? My cousin was watching a vid and was amazed my 2nd gear hits 6omph.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

That's good to hear. I got the dash out today. Overall it was much easier than I thought it would be. We'll see how it all goes back together though... I still need to acquire a dash, passenger airbag, and steering wheel/airbag.

While I'm sourcing those, I'm going to go ahead and do the trans swap.

Image[/QUOTE]

I noticed two of the pics were close enough to do this POV shifting gif. Pic sucks, but I was bored!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Lol at the gif. You just gave me some ideas.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Who is gonna machine the housing? I sometimes wish I went with mazworx. If my starter craps out again, I will buy a plate and machine the housing.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I already had Mazworx machine the bell housing back when I first got the trans.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Nice. So your ready to roll!
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So, it turns out that my transmission is fine and I actually have a broken driver side axle. Of course, I realized this AFTER I removed the transmission. So, the stock trans is going back in. No need to replace it when it's still working fine.

I'm kind of surprised that an axle snapping was enough to blow the airbags. The trans output shaft snapping... I could see that blowing the airbags since there's some type of airbag sensor right on the back of the trans tunnel. But the axle... weird.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Good to hear...
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by signals13 »

snapped from all the power the awesome KA makes :)
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I finally found a dash locally for $400. Really happy about that. While I'm still waiting on parts to start putting everything back together, I went ahead and threw my Xcessive oil pan w/ Isis Sr20 lower pan on the motor, as well as replaced my constantly leaking coolant overflow tank with a new one from Circuit Sports. The new coolant tank looks sooooo much nicer than the old one, and plus it's more tucked over out of the way.

Keep in mind that the trans mount isn't attached in these pictures, so it's all tilted back more than it will be. The only thing that sucked about installing the pan was that I had just installed the transmission for the first time completely by myself with the aid of a trans lift. After removing the stock pan, which was leaking all over the place, I realized that in order to get the Xcessive pan in, I was going to have to remove the transmission again. :angry-teeth:

So, I removed the trans again and then installed the Xcessive pan, this time using Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker. It's in a compressed can, and it seems to work very well, forming a very strong and sticky/tacky bond. The fact that it is compressed is also a benefit because it works easily upside down. And the easiest way to do this is to RTV the bottom of the motor, rather than the pan itself. Doing it this way, you don't mess up the RTV during install like putting it on the pan would do. I bet it will be a nightmare if I ever try to remove the pan again, but I'm okay with that because I'm sick of dealing with oil pan leaks. I once again got the trans back in myself, although it did slide off the side of the trans jack at one point when I had to drop it back down, and it almost crushed my face.. oops! That was a wake up call and I was MUCH more careful after that.

supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Nice update. I was hoping it was the mazworx kit installed. Keep it up.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
signals13

Post by signals13 »

That is nice looks like you will have plenty of oil during those high g's.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I got everything back together this weekend. Feels good to drive it again. I'm back to a stock ring and pinion (changed from my 4.6 gears), so it's not quite as torquey/snappy, but it's much more enjoyable to drive on the highway and not be at 4000 rpms the entire time. *
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Good stuff. Enjoy her a bit. I think after you swap the z32, you might want the 4.6 gears again. Unless you go boost, it may feel real laggy. Second gear is blah but 3rd and 4th are great.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

adamky wrote:I got everything back together this weekend. Feels good to drive it again. I'm back to a stock ring and pinion (changed from my 4.6 gears), so it's not quite as torquey/snappy, but it's much more enjoyable to drive on the highway and not be at 4000 rpms the entire time. *
That must have been miserable for any length of highway....I swapped the 3.69 FD out of my '93 Altima and tossed in a 4.08 (auto) out of a 2001 which threw off my '93 TCU and that's bad enough sitting at 3k-3500rpm at 70ish, with no TC lockup. Also only gets me about 23-24mpg lol.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

niceguy wrote:
adamky wrote:I got everything back together this weekend. Feels good to drive it again. I'm back to a stock ring and pinion (changed from my 4.6 gears), so it's not quite as torquey/snappy, but it's much more enjoyable to drive on the highway and not be at 4000 rpms the entire time. *
That must have been miserable for any length of highway....I swapped the 3.69 FD out of my '93 Altima and tossed in a 4.08 (auto) out of a 2001 which threw off my '93 TCU and that's bad enough sitting at 3k-3500rpm at 70ish, with no TC lockup. Also only gets me about 23-24mpg lol.
It was very miserable indeed. Around town and under 60 mph, it was super torquey. I didn't even drive it on the highway much at all though because it was just retarded cruising at such high RPMs.

I don't think I've mentioned this, yet, but the intake manifold runner cracked in the same spot again. This happened quite a while back. I am not going through swapping it out again, so I've just been leaving it. I only see a max of 12 psi now, but it actually drives and boosts fine, so f*ck it.

Oh, and some more bad news... I had Safelite come out to replace my cracked windshield last week. It's one of the few things that I still hadn't fixed since the airbags blew. The guy was working on it for 5 minutes before he told me there was a problem. He found rust around the edge of the window frame on the driver's side. He said that company policy would not allow him to replace the window. This sucks. I haven't been able to see how deep the rust goes, but it doesn't look good. I've also got rust in several other spots on the car and undercarriage and I'm really starting to think it's not worth fixing. I think I'm just going to stop doing anything to the car. Once I get a house, I'm going to find a rolling chassis that's in better shape than my heap and swap all of my stuff onto it.
TrackStarGT

Post by TrackStarGT »

you should part out the shell and interior when you do. Keep me in mind if you end up doing this.
Daily Driver: 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7 TRD
Project and DD: 1995 Nissan 240sx Frankenstein

I live and breathe physics, mechanics, motorsports!!

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60602
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I noticed a few days ago that I was not able to hit full boost anymore. My water/meth activates at 5 psi, and a green LED is on anytime the pump is on. Well, it was just barely trying to come on. It was kinda pulsing, almost as if the boost just wasn't quite enough to fully activate it.

So, I felt down around the back of the supercharger and noticed that I could move the bypass valve lever and it was staying where I moved it to. I knew that wasn't normal. What it should do is spring back in one direction. So, I took off the bypass actuator today and it was obvious that something was wrong when I tried moving the actuator rod. I could just feel that something was broken when I pushed it in. Convinced that I had found my boost problem, I dissected the actuator with a cut off wheel. Sure enough, the spring was broken into 3 pieces.

A new actuator has been ordered. Courtesy parts showed it as out of stock. I'm just hoping it's not back-ordered or anything.

And here's a quick pick of the rust around the window frame:

:( NO bueno
Last edited by adamky on Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Ya, that looks bad. Just have fun with it until you get that clean chassis.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Updates: Replaced the bypass valve and it's boosting fine now. I also was able to eliminate the rust at the window frame and finally got my cracked windshield replaced. Woo hoo! Good times ahead...

...and then my trans crapped out on me. Well, fudge. I was coming back from the lake 2 weekends ago and noticed that I could barely get it into 1st and 2nd. I had to jam it in there pretty hard just to get it in gear. I was hoping that it just had a leak somewhere and was low on fluid. No dice. It was full of fluid. I checked the slave cylinder to make sure it was still getting the full range of motion and it was.

So, Z32 trans time. I debated on whether I should go with the Xcessive short shifter, which is flimsy, or the Mazworx shifter that came with the kit. After some thought, I decided that I liked the idea of keeping the shifter in the stock location, but there was no way I was going to use it without modifying it to get rid of the bracket flex.

So, here are some pictures of what I did. I got the steel from Lowes. It's fairly thick, but I can't remember the exact thickness off the top of my head. I believe it was 3/16" thick. I used my buddy's MIG welder to do this, which works decent. The welds are ugly, but I actually got decent penetration, so it's very strong.

Before (lots of up and down flex)

After

I also modified the little bracket that connects the shifter to the striker rod. Someone in another thread had mentioned that it was also rather flimsy and got bent/twisted up. So, I cut a small piece to fit in both the top and bottom, and used spot welds to try and prevent overheating the bearing assembly. I'd do one tack weld, and then cool the whole thing off with a soaking wet rag. Then I'd do another tack, cool it off with the rag, etc. It's not pretty, but again, the penetration is good and it's a whole lot stronger now.

And the finished product with everything installed:

The entire assembly is now very strong with zero flex. Shifting through the gears feels so much better/smoother now. Like butta' :cool:

The only problem now is that my header is in the way of the Trans adapter bracket and trans. I tried doing some minor grinding to see if I could make it fit, but I was going to have to take off a lot to get it to fit. I didn't feel comfortable removing a lot of material from the bracket because it could compromise the strength of it. So, I decided to just buy a different header and be done with it. I bought the OBX 4-2-1 header off of ebay. It should give me a lot more room.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Finally got the trans in. Once we loosened the motor mount bolts and tilted the motor back with the hoist, the trans actually slid in very easily using a Harbor Freight trans jack. It actually went in easier than the stock trans did. Pictured is the Competition Clutch "White Bunny" 6-puck clutch setup. It uses a heavy steel flywheel and the setup is rated for 500+ whp.

Now, as for the trans cross member, it did not fit well at all. After bolting it to the JGS trans mount, the cross member holes were about 3/8" too for forward. I tried everything I could to make it work, but it simply wouldn't line up. So, rather than call Mazworx and start the process of figuring out what was wrong, I simply whipped out the the 4.5" cut-off wheel and started making adjustments. Using a 3/16" thick square of steel that I bought from Lowes, I welded it in place and re-drilled my holes where I needed them to be.

Also, since I was taking away some of the strength of the mount by cutting off the piece that I did, I went ahead and completely welded the front and rear. Mazworx only had welds in a few locations, and I figured this would help with the strength of it.

Everything mounted up, including the new 4-2-1 OBX header (which also had to be modified because it had the exhaust sitting way too low).

As for the Dakota Digital speed sensor box, there were no instructions about how to set it up in the Mazworx install instructions. I also searched online and couldn't find squat. So, my friend and I had to do some trial and error to get it working right. So, to save everyone else some time, here is what you need to do.
-Use Output 3 on the Dakota Digital
-Set all of your dip switches to OFF
If you're looking in the instructions, this is the method you use for Application 4. This will get it within a few mph of the correct speed. Then you simply need a GPS app on your smartphone and you can use the UP and DOWN adjustment buttons to do the fine tuning. You're welcome for saving you the hour of trial and error that we had to do to figure this out.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Driving impressions so far...

The clutch does some "shuttering" if I don't let it out slowly with a few blips of the throttle. I've read that this is normal for a heavy duty puck clutch and will get better after break-in. The pedal feel is about the same as it was with my RPS Heavy duty clutch and pressure plate that I had in previously. It shifts great, but there is this horribly annoying rattling/buzzing from the Mazworx shifter at anything over 2500 rpm, and it starts getting really loud at 3000 rpm. I checked everything and it's all tightened down. The noise seems to be coming from the pivot point of the shifter. I've read similar complaints of the Mazworx shifter online, so apparently I'm not alone in this. I'm going to see what I can do to fix it. If I can't fix it, I'll either try and get Mazworx to fix it, or just buy another shifter, such as the one from Z1 Motorsports.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I took apart the shifter this weekend and I can feel where there is slop/play in the spherical bushing. I tried getting some good thick grease to pack it with. I used NLGI-2 because it was the thickest I could find locally on a weekend. I really don't think any thicker would have made much of a difference though. Took it for a drive and it is slightly better, but not by much at all. So, I order the Z1 Motorsports shifter after reading good reviews on it. I hope it gets rid of this annoying buzzing.

Also, I'm still having trouble getting used to this clutch chatter. It's way too easy to get the whole car shuddering. I miss my full-faced clutch disc from my old RPS clutch. :(
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I think the time has come to kick this supercharger to the curb. And then...

:character-beavisbutthead: :auto-layrubber: :music-headbanger: :music-deathmetal:

***IGNORE THE SPEC TWIN DISC AS IT WAS SOLD***

I'm currently unemployed and should probably put all this stuff up for sale, but f*ck it... life is short and I'll be damned if I'm going to sell all of this turbo stuff without ever having installed it on my car and experiencing the sweet sound of that turbo at 20+ psi. Time to do work!!!

Here's the build list:
Wiseco 9:1 CR (.020" over)
Eagle rods
ARP mains and rod bolts
11mm ARP CA625+ head studs (time serts in block)
Cosworth head gasket
BC standard size valves and new bronze valve guides
BC dual valve springs and titanium retainers
JWT S1 cams and cam gears
*no porting on the head, just a 3 angle valve job
Equal length manifold
3" downpipe
PT5857 DBB
Precision 46mm wasegate
Tial 50mm Q BOV
Xcessive Mfg. Short runner intake manifold
Q45 throttle body
Kenne Bell Boost-a-spark
Magnecor 8.5mm wires

Nistune S13 ECU w/ homemade conversion harness
Nismo 740cc injectors
Nismo FPR
Z32 MAF
Aeromotive A340 stealth fuel pump

Z32 trans (Mazworx kit)
S15 HLSD
RB20 flywheel
ACT 350Z clutch kit - Xtreme pressure plate with full faced organic disk

Possible future upgrades that I also have
AEM EMS
ID2000 top feeds
LS2 truck coils
Powerhouse Racing billet fuel hat
OBX fuel rail
-8 AN stainless braided PTFE feed and return lines
Walbro 485 pump. One to start, but I can easily add a second if needed
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Nice...at least you do not have to spend money on labor. That is the real savings. Good luck and can't wait to see her do some pulls. Then you will be like 30psi here I come.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

In hindsight, I wish I would have done the 11mm L19 studs when I first but the motor. The headstuds will be the main thing keeping me from running too much boost.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I'm trying to decide what to do with my fuel setup and would appreciate some input from you guys. There are 3 options that I'm contemplating:

1. I could leave the fuel setup as-is and just run my Aero340 and 740cc side feeds. I'll probably up my fuel pressure to 60 psi if I do this just to give me a little more power potential. This is the cheapest and easiest solution and my only real concern here would be fitting the side feed injectors and fuel rail on the Xcessive manifold. I know Superdorifto had to do a lot of work to get his seated and mounted correctlly.

2. I could also stick to side feed but source some slightly larger injectors like Sard 850cc's or maybe even the DeatschWerks 950cc. There was a guy on here who made over 500whp on the Aero340, Sard 850s, and 60 psi of fuel pressure: viewtopic.php?t=53004. He said he could have made more power but the fuel pressure was dropping, which makes me think that if I went this route, I should probably swap my Aero340 for one of the Walbro 450s.

3. If I'm going to run the 2000cc injectors that I have in the pictures, I really think my best bet would be to get one of the billet fuel hats from Powerhouse Racing and install 2 of the Walbro 450lph pumps: http://www.powerhouseracing.com/p-4597- ... 3-r34.aspx. Pretty much the same setup as Duron is running. This is the most time-consuming route as I'd have to run new fuels lines, mount new fuel pumps, etc. However, I already have a top feed fuel rail and plenty of stainless braided -8AN tubing. So, the billet fuel hat and Wabro 450's would be the only additional items I would need to have a fuel setup with 700+ whp potential.

*I also have an AEM series 1 EMS and I actually have a base tune for the 2000cc injectors that Adam Creedy sent to me a year or so ago. So, I could probably get the car running and driving without much extra work.

The appeal of options 1 & 2 would be much less work and time involved. Time is going to be a factor here as I am using a friend's garage and really want to have everything running and out of his garage as quickly as I can. Of course, the negatives of options 1 & 2 would be less power potential and there's also the danger of not having enough fuel if something weird happens like a wastegate line pops off and the car overboosts.

I should mention that I'll be running E85 and my goal is 450+ whp with room to grow. I''m running the Saturn head studs and they are pretty much my main limiting factor here. I don't want to lift the head.