Gotenks64's ongoing build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
Gotenks64
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: Gotenks64's ongoing build

Post by Gotenks64 »

I have a few little things I am doing, but the car has been running well. I have a few small problems that I need to fix namely

Valve cover leaks from the clear coat I think the machine shop put on the head.
Transmission rear seal(under my car is pretty caked with gear oil)
Steering is sloppy( Rack and Pinion is beat to S**T)

About two weeks around I made one run at the drag strip with my measly Cheap-O 225 street tires. I ran a 13.4 at 113, that was at 14ish PSI. I ran a second time and turned up my controller because I knew I would have to make up the few milli-seconds of the line, it spiked to about 18 psi in first and I could grab second fast enough LOL. It was fun, but that next morning my exhaust gasket blew and I found one of the bolts on my exhaust manifold was missing. I am attributing it to the spike to 18psi. So I have started a small over haul I purchased:

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Oil Cooler
Greddy Thermostat sandwich adapter
ISIS Steering Bushing
NRG Quick Release and steering wheel

Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Since I have had the car the Water Temps of the motor have been at about 200* This is in 100 degree weather or 60-70 degree weather. I thought that adding the oil cooler may change it abit but it didnt.

Over the weekend I put in a ISIS colder Thermostat and this has seemed to alleviate my issues. She warms to 160 and during highway driving temps went to 180*. My oil pressure is still the same, but I want it higher it is about 12-14 psi at idle, I am wanting it to go to 20 psi. I have some 15w-50 by Driven I want to try but for now I am running Rotella 5w-40.
Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by cham »

Why do you think it spiked? Fun pass. I also went 13.4 but at 118mph with 15psi on worn 225 tires. I babied it off the line because my 1st run I had my coils set wrong and it wheel hoped and I thought I broke something. Went a hell of alot slower on my very 1st pass witch was 18psi. Spun alot.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

For my thermostat solution, I gutted her out. Removed the spring and valve but just left the housing/frame. The car warms up fast than with no t stat. I hate thermostat's. Fan's turn on at 185* and turn off at 175*. After hard pulls, I may only go up to 195* but it quickly goes back down. Also, with MS, set the coolant based RPM limiter. I have it set for cold but I also have it set for hot. At 205*, the rpm's will stop at 3K. This will tell me something is up and hopefully save my motor from overheating.

What was your 60ft on that run? The best I can get is 2.1 with street tires. I want slicks cuz if I cut a 1.8, that is an 11 second run.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

60ft is so hard with these cars... Best I ever had was a 1.9 for a high 12's run. I slipped the clutch like crazy to get that. I can just picture the fire spinning around inside the bell housing when I did that!

Are your oil temps high enough to warrant 50 weight? The 15w50 would be good for a track day but not on the street or strip. I definitely wouldn't run it in the winter.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

supakat wrote:What was your 60ft on that run? The best I can get is 2.1 with street tires. I want slicks cuz if I cut a 1.8, that is an 11 second run.
2.317 with my crappy AutoGrip tires LOL
All I want is a 12 second run and I'll he happy

p00t wrote:60ft is so hard with these cars... Best I ever had was a 1.9 for a high 12's run. I slipped the clutch like crazy to get that. I can just picture the fire spinning around inside the bell housing when I did that!

Are your oil temps high enough to warrant 50 weight? The 15w50 would be good for a track day but not on the street or strip. I definitely wouldn't run it in the winter.
The issue I was having was after hard runs my oil pressure was below 5 PSi.... So the solution was to get higher weight oil. After I investigated a-little more I realized my old T-Stat was making my motor hotter then it should be. After I changed the oil to 1 quart 15w-50 and 3 quarts 5w-40 the oil pressure has never dipped below 15 psi and my water temps are at 192* at the hottest and 175ish* cruising.

When summer rolls around next year I am going to do a 50/50 mix of the oil. Winter time I wont really be driving the car but will more than likely just run 5W-40.

I am getting a-little smoke on start up, I think the oil pressure the turbo may be alittle to high. Each time I remove the exhaust manifold there is never oil inside of it, but I think the rear seals in the turbo are allowing alittle oil to creep by, so I ordered a banjo with a restrictor!
Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Quick video on my way to drill!

https://youtu.be/9XoTJ9gwsRs?t=1s
Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

She sounds healthy! Keep it up.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Ok!

So is running strong, BUT my clutch started slipping.... I have a SPEC Stage 3+. It only slipped on setting B with is about 16psi. I dropped the transmission and took the flywheel to the machine shop. They said I have obvious hot spots. I will show you guys the clutch as the flywheel is at the machine shop......

1. Is it problem my slave cylinder was not allowing the clutch to fully engage( Or my pedal engagement was to high)

2. I want to use the same clutch(SPEC Stage 3+) But what would you recommend for around ~300 torque to the wheel.
3. I am using the STOCK flywheel that has been balanced.

On another note I got need remanufactured calipers as my left Q45 one was leaking, and my rotors are cracking.I would like to get the 2003 sentra SER rotors. I also have stock calipers in the back and was thinking of just upgrading my pads.

Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

I would go with a white bunny set up or ACT.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/co ... grade.html
WES
mewantkouki

Post by mewantkouki »

Buy a white bunny 6 puck if you want to turn your car into a harsh engaging, vibrating, piece of ****.
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

So a few things have happened. I went a SPEC stage 3 clutch. I had a stage 3+ before, but I am not pushing anything near 380wtq. Second to that, when I installed the motor the second time I reused the stage 3+ a few years ago. I think I should have broken it[Stage 3+] in again because at that time I had the flywheel resurfaced. Now, I have the car back together BUT I tore this.

I am going to order a replacement, I thought my tranny went and I could hear a clunking noise. Transmission shifts fine and goes into gear fine so after this I am not worried.

Got the short shifter in.

Clutch in

Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

Q45 Caliper with Sentra Rotors.

Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
supersayianjim
Learners Permit

Post by supersayianjim »

bump, what became of this car???
Gotenks64

Post by Gotenks64 »

supersayianjim wrote:bump, what became of this car???
I still have it! It runs - I am in the process of fixing the trans potentially sell it.
Cosmetic Head Gasket
Eagle Rods
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors