Recirculated my waste gate :-)

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Recirculated my waste gate :-)

Post by rn240sx »

The last time i recirculated the wastegate like 11 yrs ago it was done TOTALLY WRONG and i knew better and yet i STILL did it and got massive boost creep… That lasted one month before i cut that out and went back to open dump…
SOOOO 10 yrs later "yesterday" of running open dump wastegate, i finally got down to getting it recirculated AGAIN because (1) the noise was getting old even though i dealt with it for that long & the fact that i only drive this car like once per week so it was not a daily nuisance and (2) i got pulled over two times in two weeks for my dump… Just happened to be in the right place at the wrong time twice…. So i guess that was my cue to get this thing fixed… And now this time it was done correctly and ZERO boost creep… holds rock solid at 9 lbs and its quiet :D And now that its quiet my mind isn't fixed on that annoying noise so now I'm more focused on the boost and the pull so it "appears" to feel faster …

Here are some links to the pics because i tried to upload them and i got a red error message "file is too big"…. whatever ?!?!?!?

Before:
http://ppl.ug/Vbx8OpiP-Jc/
http://ppl.ug/QiuH4gY0tK4/

After:
http://ppl.ug/gGb_yah5JX0/
http://ppl.ug/yvl9AO14wJY/
http://ppl.ug/oFq3QX_V-eQ/
http://ppl.ug/zWzf4SXHJLk/
http://ppl.ug/rMPld45KvUI/
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Re: Recirculated my waste gate :-)

Post by cham »

My noise doesn't come in until I hit max boost. I usually shift b4 that point when up uptown or it will do a nasty pull. If im running low boost say 10psi or less, I could see this being an issue.
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

cham wrote:My noise doesn't come in until I hit max boost. I usually shift b4 that point when up uptown or it will do a nasty pull. If im running low boost say 10psi or less, I could see this being an issue.
im only running 9 lbs and i could hear it start to open around 5 lbs and gets full open scream at 9 lbs… thats when it got ugly..!!
Back in the day when i was pushing ~23 lbs i really didn't hear it open at all so it was not a concern but at 9 lbs… this SOB screamed so loud that it really was annoying and got too much attention…
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Yea it's nice, isn't it? I love just hearing my turbo over wastegate. My first turbo kit was like that and after a few years of that noise, I make sure my turbo setup is routed back in to the down pipe.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
http://www.enginerebuild.net
"Anyone can make power but how long can you make it last?"
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

duncan351 wrote:Yea it's nice, isn't it? I love just hearing my turbo over wastegate.
i agree 100 % :P

How is your E85 conversion coming along..??
tchida14
240sx Wannabe

Post by tchida14 »

I need to do this... My single cam is only running about 7 psi and it's just obnoxious. Loud screaming from 2700-3000 up to limiter at 6k. It was pretty awesome at first but it definitely get's old. As soon as I get the engine swap into the rx7 done, that's the next project on the list. Nice fabrication by the way, that's pretty much an optimal setup as far as recirc setups go. You want the re-entrance of the wasted exhaust as far away from the turbo as possible so the spool up time is minimally affected. Also the angle at which the pipe enters is good.

Great job! :handgestures-thumbup:
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Great! one of the best changes I ever made to the car. I love E85 over race gas! $1.79 per gallon over $14. You do the math and see how quickly it adds up. lol
rn240sx wrote:
duncan351 wrote:Yea it's nice, isn't it? I love just hearing my turbo over wastegate.
i agree 100 % :P

How is your E85 conversion coming along..??
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

tchida14 wrote:I need to do this... My single cam is only running about 7 psi and it's just obnoxious. Loud screaming from 2700-3000 up to limiter at 6k. It was pretty awesome at first but it definitely get's old. As soon as I get the engine swap into the rx7 done, that's the next project on the list. Nice fabrication by the way, that's pretty much an optimal setup as far as recirc setups go. You want the re-entrance of the wasted exhaust as far away from the turbo as possible so the spool up time is minimally affected. Also the angle at which the pipe enters is good.

Great job! :handgestures-thumbup:
Everything u saw in those pictures was my vision but did not have the tools or equipment to do it… Welder, pipe cutter… etc
So luckily for me a buddy from "a long long time ago in a state far far away"…. (sorry i had to do that i am HUGE star wars fan) … came back into my city to get back with his ex-girlfriend… and he happen to have the pipe cutting machine along with a TIG welder and we got it done.. And thats what he did up in N Carolina… he worked for a fabrication shop building intake and exhaust manifolds… So he was the man for the job…
I will pass it along to him :-)
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
rn240sx

Post by rn240sx »

duncan351 wrote:Great! one of the best changes I ever made to the car. I love E85 over race gas! $1.79 per gallon over $14. You do the math and see how quickly it adds up. lol
oh do i know… :-)
street_240sx

Post by street_240sx »

rn240sx wrote:
duncan351 wrote:Great! one of the best changes I ever made to the car. I love E85 over race gas! $1.79 per gallon over $14. You do the math and see how quickly it adds up. lol
Yea im converting to e85 when i install my fuel cell. Im honestly not a fan of e85 but for the price difference i cant really argue. Less than 2 bucks a gallon compared to 10$ for 100 octane
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

street_240sx wrote:
rn240sx wrote:
Yea im converting to e85 when i install my fuel cell. Im honestly not a fan of e85 but for the price difference i cant really argue. Less than 2 bucks a gallon compared to 10$ for 100 octane
Why would you not be a fan of E85? Other than the "gunk" issue that I am currently dealing with, its absolutely awesome stuff.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Just run a tank of super every once in a while and that clears the gunk right off.
adamky wrote:Why would you not be a fan of E85? Other than the "gunk" issue that I am currently dealing with, its absolutely awesome stuff.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

duncan351 wrote:Just run a tank of super every once in a while and that clears the gunk right off.
Yes, but I'd err on the side of running it through there more than just a few times a year. I was running 93 through mine once every 3 or 4 months without issue back when it was just a "weekend car". However, after going a little over 6 months and ~3000 miles of just E85, my injectors and intake ports were coated in gunk.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread