'95 Zenki KA-T build

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
wesamiss
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: '95 Zenki KA-T build

Post by wesamiss »

Kamilitaryman wrote: Image
I see some BL love there... nice. I have a few OP8 toons, all legit. xbox gt wesamiss

Love that reservoir set up. I had got the same one from eBay a while ago, but ended up not using it because it was too big.

Any updates? Has it warmed up enough to give us any updates?
WES
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

wesamiss wrote: I see some BL love there... nice. I have a few OP8 toons, all legit. xbox gt wesamiss

Love that reservoir set up. I had got the same one from eBay a while ago, but ended up not using it because it was too big.

Any updates? Has it warmed up enough to give us any updates?
My wife subscribes to LootCrate so I steal some of the stuff she gets. I needed a new mouse pad at work so it worked out great lol. I never really got into BL though! Watched my brother and friends play but that's about it. I'm more of a Battlefield fan.

But yes, it's finally starting to warm up so the build will pick back up soon! I noticed that you picked up another S14 and are nearly done with yours....I'm jelly.
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

Where did you get the cover for the dizzy?
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

street_240sx wrote:Where did you get the cover for the dizzy?
I think I emailed him directly about it. It took me a while to track him down too. I checked my email for ya but I must've deleted it a while ago so I don't have a lead for you unfortunately. All I remember is that his name was Wen Lee or something like that.
S14wayz
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by S14wayz »

this build is awesome :) I'm going to do the same with P/S when I get a new shell, looks soo damn clean man keep it up
My S14 Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59534
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

S14wayz wrote:this build is awesome :) I'm going to do the same with P/S when I get a new shell, looks soo damn clean man keep it up
Thank you!

Changing things up a bit. Decided to ditch the top mount and go with a bottom mount manifold. I came across one I couldn't pass up. I'll let the pictures do the talking. I also ordered a set of rims, which will be used on the 350Z for a bit. Once this project is done, I'll be transferring them over. They're Volk Racing TE37V Mark-2, 18x9.5 et15 and 18x10.5 et15. They won't be here for another 2 months though.

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Update:

As I've stated before, I'm changing things up a bit. Put in some work on the bottom mount and other crap over the past few weeks. Powder coated more **** that was spray painted when I started this damned project. Installed fresh, stainless studs throughout. New oil dipstick guide, new oil feed and return. Also installed a -4AN port in the coolant drain hole, in case I need a coolant feed for future setups. Just a few more things and it's going back in for good (hopefully).

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

There you go again, putting me to shame....lol

What made you go bottom mount?
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

SoundEfx wrote:There you go again, putting me to shame....lol

What made you go bottom mount?
lol - gotta keep going or it's going to rust away!

I went with this manifold for a few reasons. One of them is the fact that it's a AMS manifold. It's fully warrantied so I'm good if anything happens to it. It'll also be easier to fab/mate the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust and lastly, there motor balance in the engine bay will be improved since the weight of the turbo will be down low now.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Did some **** over my weekend. Finished up the oil plumbing by installing a 1/8 NPT -T- on the filter adapter to run the oil pressure sensors. Also mated the transmission to the motor for the 1st time since 2009, and then dropped it into the chassis with some help from friends. Booked a welder to fab up all the intake and exhaust piping. She'll be going on a trailer in a few weeks here. Getting there!

street_240sx

Post by street_240sx »

What fittings did you use for coolant? So that will be the drain for the turbo, where will you get the feed?

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

street_240sx wrote:What fittings did you use for coolant? So that will be the drain for the turbo, where will you get the feed?
A few others have asked me the same question. I bought it through Summit Racing back in 2010, but they had since updated their website and I lost my order history in the process. I just spent a good amount of time looking through my emails and I found the fitting info in one of them!!!

So, for those of you who would like to use the drain hole as a feed for cooling a turbo/wastegate, here's the fitting you'll need. You can run the return to the back of the intake manifold.

Fragola 491201-BL: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-491201-bl

From what I remember, you'll need to re-tap that thread in order for this to work. My father, who's a manual machinist, helped me with this.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

I knew I was forgetting to post something.....the shoes I bought back in April arrived from Japan late July. I'm running them on the Z33 for now. Once this project is complete, they're going on the Zenki :)

street_240sx

Post by street_240sx »

Kamilitaryman wrote:
street_240sx wrote:What fittings did you use for coolant? So that will be the drain for the turbo, where will you get the feed?
A few others have asked me the same question. I bought it through Summit Racing back in 2010, but they had since updated their website and I lost my order history in the process. I just spent a good amount of time looking through my emails and I found the fitting info in one of them!!!

So, for those of you who would like to use the drain hole as a feed for cooling a turbo/wastegate, here's the fitting you'll need. You can run the return to the back of the intake manifold.

Fragola 491201-BL: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-491201-bl

From what I remember, you'll need to re-tap that thread in order for this to work. My father, who's a manual machinist, helped me with this.

Hmmm wonder why you have to retap it? I have the taps at my work so it shouldnt be an ordeal. What part of the intake? I dont have a factory one anymore so i only have the heater hose, maybe tee into that for the return?

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

street_240sx wrote: Hmmm wonder why you have to retap it? I have the taps at my work so it shouldnt be an ordeal. What part of the intake? I dont have a factory one anymore so i only have the heater hose, maybe tee into that for the return?
I believe we did it to clean the threads up a bit and to seat the fitting deeper into the block. You should be able to -T- into the heater core return hose.
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

the coolant plug on the side of the block has 1/4" BSPT threads.
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Alonso wrote:the coolant plug on the side of the block has 1/4" BSPT threads.
Yup, additionally, the 1/4" BSPT has 19 threads/inch VS the 18 that the NPT has.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Sup guys! I'm back again and I've got a great update to an otherwise, old and drawn out build. I have no one to blame but myself for it since I can't keep focus on one project. Believe it or not, the Z33 I bought late last year will probably be boosted before I finish this build lol I ended up going crazy on Black Friday this year and ordered a complete turbo kit for it and plan on starting the install on that early in April. It should get done over a weekend or two and the work will resume on the S14.

So, the update:

I was finally able to link up with my welder and I'm very glad I chose this guy. He's very meticulous about his work, his welds are sexy and the guy doesn't slack. Basically, the intercooler piping got finished on day 1. The IAT bung is hidden but easily accessible on the cold side. All that's left to do is the pipe to the compressor inlet. We mounted the eBay catback and added some v-bands to it so that we can tie the downpipe into it. Most of the downpipe is finished up with some delicious pie cuts and melted together with back-purged beads (no pictures of this until it's 100% done) When I left his shop last night, we were trying to figure out if we should dump or recirculate the WG as the space is tight in there. I also mounted up the 1-piece drive shaft and found out that the stock Nissan bolts don't work with their flange. No biggie, I'll get that finished up today with some new bolts.

Here's a few pics I managed to snap yesterday :)

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Why can't people like you live in WA? lol

Keep up the pimpin' work man.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

SoundEfx wrote:Why can't people like you live in WA? lol

Keep up the pimpin' work man.
Haha thanks! :)

The down pipe is done! Of course I would forget to take a picture of it installed but I'll get one later today after I pick the car up. We ended up not recirculating the WG as it would've been a real PITA installing the downpipe with the recirc. pipe on it. Now that all the piping is done I can focus on all the little **** and hopefully have it running real soon here!

2017 is going to be a good year!
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Nicely done sir.

Now when can I ship my car to you so that you can complete it? lol
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

SoundEfx wrote:Nicely done sir.

Now when can I ship my car to you so that you can complete it? lol
Thanks man! You sure you wanna do that? It might take me 7 years to complete it lol
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Sure, why not?
There are some shops that take longer and still do a bad job....lol
Image << Yuh dun know!!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I wish my intercooler piping was that short
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

adamky wrote:I wish my intercooler piping was that short
I'm really hoping the short piping will help with overall throttle response. Also curious to see how well this cooling setup will work on this radiator. Hoping for the best!
bluestorm
Learners Permit

Post by bluestorm »

Everything looks great!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Well, I was going to post an update on the build but then I found out that photobucket ***** my whole build thread up. Not just here, but EVERY other build thead I have ever started. I will be looking for a solution to get this thread re-worked so that the pictures show again but not anytime soon. I'm so ***** angry I could punch a wall...

I do have one thing for you guys: it made 405hp/370tq on 11psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKJ3zKVHVm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym-SWlhGt5U

The 240 is next....stay tuned for updates. They are coming....I promise....it will be running this summer.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Hey everyone,

Well, I'm not even sure where to start. Anytime I think about my build thread here, I feel anxiety and anger, followed by resentment to the photo hosting company that is known as Photobucket. I learned the hard way of trusting 3rd parties with holding onto your priceless memories. I was able to download all of my pictures that were associated with this build, but those bastards bumped the resolution down to 800x600 on ALL of my pictures. It completely discouraged me from updating this thread as it literally killed all of my uploaded photos. Anyway, I decided to give this one more shot and I'm currently uploading my photos to a different site. I also got myself a Dell server with plenty of storage space and will be eventually setting that up to host any future pictures and not worry about this happening ever again.

To those who followed my build from the start and gave up - I apologize for leaving you hanging. This project took way too long if you ask me. I wish I could've done things differently at times, but there's nothing I can do to turn back time. While I get my photos organized and ready for sharing, I'm just going to drop one here with you until I feel like I can share the rest and give you some insight/information on context of each photo. Without keeping you guessing - yes, I finally finished the project and it idles on it's own. I'm, just waiting on a date with my tuner.

Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Sup KA-T fam,

I know that the thread is still lacking pictures. I've been putting it off. I'll eventually edit it all, I just don't have the patience for it right now.

For now, I'll share the last pull we did on the dyno, before calling it for the night due to it being 3am. I will be coming back for another tune, but for now, this is where she sits at 18psi w/my setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQxG-tiOINs

I'd also like to share that the Civic half radiator is working as intended. The temps don't go over 206F, even on a hot day. I'm sure it'd be even lower with a name brand radiator.

As for the power steering, yea - don't buy the same reservoir that I did. You'll get fluid all over your strut tower.

I ordered this one today, like the one Poormans180sx on Zilvia used on his kit, which is now discontinued:

https://www.jegs.com/i/KRC/612/91150000 ... gJT9PD_BwE

https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=614487
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Good dyno numbers. Those jive pretty closely to what I just made. We tuned to diminishing gains both in terms of boost and timing and landed at 18-19 psi on 93 octane with nothing else. Was seeing 90F (about a 20 degree delta) out of the intercooler on the dyno around there too. Your coolant temps are a lot hotter than I'm running on a Mishimoto KA radiator w/ ISR electric fans. Having a discussion about this very topic w/ a buddy of mine in Florida.

From the 1995 FSM;

Seems the OEM S14 electric fan kicks on at 203F in slow, with high coming on at 212. Also interesting to note, the OEM KA thermostat isn't fully open until 194F.

I'm running coolant temps in the low 180s with a 170F Gates thermostat. On the highway I'm creeping up to 190 but as soon as I come off of the highway it drops to 183-184ish pretty quickly. I just ordered my oil cooler setup and I'm in the process of boxing my radiator in fully, but after looking at the FSM I don't feel comfortable above 200F for safety margin. Just thought I'd add that in for conversation since you mentioned coolant temps in your last post.

I guess what I take away from the FSM is that they consider the OEM mechanical fan to be taking care of things up to 203F. above that the engine is getting hot, probably in city, low RPMs and from low air flow, so the electric fan kicks in to help. At 212 (boiling point for pure water) the fan kicks on high and engine is overheating. That's just my interpretation though. Planning to run SCCA/HPDE events in mine and the cooling system is a MAJOR point of interest for me.