Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
adamky
SuperMod

Re: Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd,

Post by adamky »

Rock Auto is weird. One minute it will say they have one in stock, so I'll put it in my cart. Then I go to checkout and it says they aren't available and removes it from my cart. Maybe I should call them...
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

My new favorite tool:
UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit

Since switching from supercharger to turbo, I have had much more trouble bleeding the cooling system. This tool worked perfectly and I had zero air on the first try. If you ever have trouble with bleeding your cooling system, I would highly recommend picking something like this up.

I also rebuilt my steering rack myself. I haven't seen any leaks since getting it back on the road, and I sure hope it stays that way.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Got tired of breaking studs every time I removed the turbo, so I upgraded to Inconel studs and Stage 8 fasteners. I actually did this a few months back, but I forgot about it until now.
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Is there any way you can elaborate on how you rebuilt your steering rack and which rebuild kit you used?
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It was pretty simple really. I watched these videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSRJij_VkQ & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUpX8f1uXs&t=116s
I used the Gates 348675 Power Steering Repair Kit, MOOG outer tie-rod ends (my driver side was shot), and MOOG K9860 replacement boots. The inner rod ends felt fine so I reused them.

One note if you do this: the guy who made those videos showed himself installing the new inner seal with a socket, and then coming back and installing the steering shaft. He mentions in the video that he thinks that he tore his inner seal with the geared teeth on the shaft. After installing it, he had a large leak and had to rebuild a second time. So, don't install the inner seal before installing the shaft. Carefully put the seal onto the shaft, past the teeth, and then use the shaft itself to install that seal. Just don't do this until you're ready to install the shaft, as removing it again gives another chance for the teeth to damage the inner lip of the seal.

Prior to removing the outer ends, I marked the threads on the inner ends as a reference point for reassembly. I put the new ones back in using these marks, but after a test drive, the car felt floaty in the front and there was too much preload on the rack. So, I backed down on the preload and did my first attempt at a DIY alignment just to get the toe back in check. Both wheels are toed out just a tiny bit. I made a small adjustment and it's better, but I need to go back tomorrow and make another adjustment. I'm determined to try and do my own alignments from now on.

SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Thanks for that info. I watched those videos and it doesn't surprise me that he had issues because of how rough he treated the inner seals.

I have moog inner, outer and boots on the way to go onto a replacement rack, so minimal down time. But I want to rebuild the old rack and either keep it as a spare or sell it if the price is right.

You should make a how to video.....lol
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I think I could definitely make a shorter video than he did. But unless I find another rack, I have nothing to make another video with.

So, the car is running decent and I decided that I wanted to experiment with cam timing a little bit. Having driven the car with intake @ 10* advanced and exhaust 10* retarded for a while now, I wanted to try stock cam timing again at the same boost level (17psi). Wow, what a difference! First off, the idle is silky smooth and vacuum went up from ~17-21. The vacuum tank always shows less vacuum than I see at the manifold, typically about 3 in/Hg less. So, it usually hovers around 14. With the cam settings back to stock, I actually saw the PCV tank hit 19 in/Hg. Boost comes on slower and when it does hit, it doesn't hit nearly as hard. But that's not all bad, as experience has shown that the boost hits a little too hard sometimes (which just breaks traction). Also, it didn't fall off on the top end and kept pulling hard until 7300.

As much as I would love to have the best of both worlds, it's a compromise either way. So, I decided to aim for the middle in the hopes of regaining some of that quick spool back while also keeping power from dropping off too hard up top. The intake is now set to 5* advanced, and the exhaust is 5* retarded. I haven't had much chance to drive it due to the weather, but so far I like it.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

What in the hell am I getting into now?

Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

Cop ftw. Are you keeping nistune?
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

No, I'm switching to Nismotronic using that SR ECU and the trigger wheel from that used SR CAS. I actually was dead set on Megasquirt until you mentioned Nismotronic. I'll sell my Nistune setup once I get it up and running.

I'm getting bored with 16 psi. I'm dying to put some ethanol in the tank to see how the Nistune flex fuel setup works.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Merry Christmas to me!

Now I just have to put it all together and make it work. Rather than re-pin my S14 to S13 ECU conversion harness, I have decided that I will make a new conversion harness just for this setup.
s14fiend
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by s14fiend »

Damn that looks like a lot of work.... props man your dedication and availability to work this project s14 of yours is like no other.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks. It shouldn't be too difficult (I hope). The conversion harness will be the most difficult part. I just finished the pinout for it. Here's the file if anyone wants to check it out:
The Nemu daughterboard is installed. It was no more difficult than it is to install any other daughterboard, which was nice. You just solder in your standard 2X20 header, and then of course theres the 3 wires for consult that go to the inner ECU pins. It came with a little bag of resistors, so I assumed it would be more complicated than it actually ended up being.

The PCV tank vacuum gets very low on 3rd/4th gear pulls. To help with that, I decided to upgrade the PCV vacuum tank from 5 gallon to 7 gallon to give me a bit more capacity. I've also noticed some oily residue in the intake manifold plenum from the PCV vacuum line. Some of the oil from the blow-by appears to be making it all the way through the line.

To combat this, I decided to pack the new 7 gallon tank with stainless steel sponges. This will give the blow-by a lot of wire mesh to pass through which will help to pull it out of the air. I took around 20 of them and stretched them out before carefully placing them in the tank. I then welded up the hole I had cut for the sponges, and then the entire tank was covered in two coats of Hercules brush-on truck bed liner:

Here's the new mount before I painted it black:

Here it is all together and installed

And here it is next to the old 5 gallon tank for comparison
cham

Post by cham »

Bet you stopped adding up the total cost. It's Worth every penny to do what you love in life.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

This ECU change will be the last big change that I'll make for a long time. It is kind of the missing link that will allow me to maximize my gains from all of the other mods.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I decided to play with some corn to get the feel for how Nistune's flex fuel setup works. I put a little over 11 gallons of E85 (winter blend, obviously) in with 5 gallons of 93 which resulted in 55% ethanol. I had a hell of a time getting it started after filling up. I realized it was flooding after getting the car to fire up momentarily when the fuel pump fuse was removed. After about 20 minutes or so, I finally got it fired up. I decided in the process that I need to install a fuel pump cut-off switch so I can shut down the pump and burn off all of the excess fuel without having to get out to pull the fuse.

I've added about 4-6 degrees of timing to most of the map to start off with. I have to keep reminding myself though that the amount of timing added is scaled by the ethanol content. So, it's probably only adding 2-3 degrees @ 55% content. Even so, it felt considerably more powerful @ 9 & 12 psi.

The one thing I dislike so far is that it is more difficult to figure out how much total time I am running. The flex fuel maps only allow you to specify how much additional timing you want for a given cell, so I have to look at both maps at the same time to figure out total. That doesn't sound that bad, except that while you can select a "comparison" map when looking at the standard fuel and timing maps, that option is not available for the flex maps. I plan to do a more thorough review (and possibly vlog) of how Nistune handles flex fuel mapping compared to Nismotronic.

Now if it would just stop raining so I could throw the DRs on the back and go have some real fun...
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Wow, you've been busy! Giving us all motivation to continue to learn new things, progress and update :D
That Nismotronic stuff looks really cool. I've always wanted to get into tuning myself, but lost motivation with some bad experiences in that happened in the past. Is this stuff difficult to learn and get settings correct without risk of damage?

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
hooligans661
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by hooligans661 »

Not to sound like a creeper but I've been following ur build since day 1, and let me tell u tht ur build is awesome AF brotha. Keep them coming!
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

cleantune wrote:Wow, you've been busy! Giving us all motivation to continue to learn new things, progress and update :D
That Nismotronic stuff looks really cool. I've always wanted to get into tuning myself, but lost motivation with some bad experiences in that happened in the past. Is this stuff difficult to learn and get settings correct without risk of damage?

Thanks man. I learned the basics of tuning back when my car was still N/A. Obviously, that's a better and safer way to learn tuning because there's (typically) a lot less chance that you'll blow something up. But anyone with the time and interest can learn. You just start out slowly and carefully and run as low of boost as you can (or no boost) and gradually work your way up. Getting a car running on a "safe" tune is fairly easy as long as your careful. It's that fine-tuning that tends to blow things up!

Of course there is risk, but the reward is so sweet once you get the hang of it. I can't tell tell you how great it felt blowing the doors off of a new Camaro with a motor that I built and tuned 100% by myself.
BUILT > BOUGHT

The best thing I ever did was decide to upgrade my Nistune with new firmware and extra features, but that wasn't because the features were so awesome. It helped because I couldn't get any of my old supercharger tunes to work with the new Feature Pack firmware. Previously (with the supercharger), I used one of the tunes from the big tune-sharing thread on here. I did of course have to adjust it, but it didn't require a lot of effort on my part. That's good because it made the job easier, but it wasn't so good for learning how to tune.

Since the old tunes wouldn't work, I was forced to start over with a 100% stock S13 KA tune. It was a PITA at first, but within a few hours, I had it running well enough to drive home. It's taken some time to dial it in, but I learned a ton in the process. I'll be switching to the SR ECU soon and I have been creating a new tune for my car from a stock SR20 base map.

To get started, I'd recommend these two books:
Engine Management: Advanced Tuning by Greg Banis
Performance Fuel Injection Systems by Matt Cramer and Jerry Hoffman (DIYautotune.com)

Here's my little conversion harness document: Image
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

hooligans661 wrote:Not to sound like a creeper but I've been following ur build since day 1, and let me tell u tht ur build is awesome AF brotha. Keep them coming!
Thanks man! Didn't you buy several of my parts that I had for sale a while back....possibly off of Zilvia?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I have a love/hate relationship with making conversion harnesses. It's such a PITA to do it and do it well. But when it comes out nicely, it makes me thankful I put the work in

ImageImage
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

Damn..... freaking-A dude you put jelly on your adapter harness?!

Newbs and regulars need to take notes from you man (I know I am).... your build/page should be a sticky lol..... :clap: Good work man it just gets better and better, flawless every nut and bolt..... you should open up a shop or a side business and call it flawless performance/restorations.

I don't even know where online to find half of the things you know how to do.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I appreciate the kind words. Although working in some type of automotive restoration/modification/performance shop would be a dream job... I would probably have trouble turning a profit if I opened a shop because I work too slowly and I change my mind way too much. It's still a goal to work in the automotive performance industry, but I think I we are witnessing the glory days of internal combustion engines. As companies are scrambling to match electric vehicles from Tesla that are both ridiculously powerful as well as efficient with good range, it's clear that's where the future lies. And I'm struggling to justify taking on even more student loan debt for education to work in an industry that is notoriously finicky and difficult to make profitable. So many shops pop up and disappear before they hardly even get noticed.

The "jelly" is 2-part epoxy from Caswell that is mostly used for sealing old motorcycle gas tanks. Although I have used the cheaper 3M epoxy without issue, this stuff is better and I happened to have it, so why not?

I think I'll do a video tutorial the next time I make on of these. I should have done it for this one. There are a lot of little tricks I've picked up that really make it easier. I just don't know when I'll ever need to make another one!
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

^^ Well said... come to Miami, FL and we make an Electric Performance Shop :D
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Nice Work!!!
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I took advantage of the warmer weather and dry roads today and bumped boost up to 20psi @ ~18 degrees total timing (72% ethanol)... HOLY SHUCKING FIT!!

I can't go any further because I am very close to maxing out my MAF. Sucks because @ ~22psi or so and with a bit more timing, I should be getting close to 500 whp. More reason to switch to Nismotronic ASAP.
cham

Post by cham »

Lmbo..great feeling isn't it. I run 100% e85 that tests out at 85%.18 to 20psi. It feels good to know your sitting in a rocket and the guy next to you has know idea with his 5.0 and loud exhaust..lol
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Definitely. The only negative I have noticed so far is that most of the real fast cars, like Corvettes, seem to assume I'm some slow import and won't even entertain the idea of racing me. I tried to get a pretty serious-looking C6 Z06 to race on the highway and he just ignored me. My car doesn't exactly look like it's got much money put into it though... (from the outside, at least).

I was getting tired of my faded gray/purple Kouki tail lights and decided I wanted something different. I also realized that while my center and driver side tailights were the faded gray, the passenger side was black. So clearly, they are not from the same vehicle.

I broke out my factory Zenki tails and after looking them over, I decided to polish them with some polishing compound. They look so much better.
Polished on the left, untouched on the right:

I didn't want to just put the Zenki center garnish back on though. Instead, I wanted to visually separate the tailights and get rid of that whole "uni-taillight" look. I wanted something to add even more black to the rear without resorting to smoking the tail lights themselves. And most importantly, I didn't want to spend much money!

So, I kept the Kouki center garnish but smoked it out completely with VHT nite shades. This makes it look more like a part of the trunk and less a part of the tailights. I'm sure not everybody will like it, but I do. My only complaint is that in bright sunlight, I can still see the outline of the reverse lights as raised little lines in the reflection. I will definitely be doing something to fix this at some point.

If I can fix my Kouki tails so they are both black and NOT gray/purple, I may put them back on. But for now, I really like the look.
Here's a GIF showing the before and after.

Obviously I pretty much lose my reverse lights doing this. To replace the reverse light, I bought this super bright 10W LED strip that goes just above the license plate. It's ridiculously bright for its size.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G9FJB ... UTF8&psc=1
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Jesus. Way to make me feel like I've accomplished nothing. Great upgrades. I need to get off my ass and finish my vacuum reservoir...and install my new tranny, and my dual disk clutch, and my new gauges, and my new hood, and my new lip, and my 8.8 rear....notice a trend?

Keep going man.

At least I can say I've been working on other stuff
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =561350169
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Updates! I've been adding more and more ethanol into my tank and it looks like the winter blend for this area is 75% ethanol. Not bad. I love having an ethanol gauge and I love that my ECU is automatically adjusting the tune for me. I'm pretty sure that with Nismotronic, I can set not only the fuel and timing adjustment, I can also set boost duty cycle. Meaning that my boost will automatically raise or lower depending on ethanol content.

Back to work on the Nismotronic upgrade. I decided to just go straight to the LS2 coils and will sell my VQ coils. Here's a quick bracket I fabbed up that will attach to existing screws on the upper timing cover. And then I will take my coil bracket and screw it to that plate. Wiring can be hidden behind the bracket on the valve cover.