03 Frontier KA24DE Turbo Project

For those truckers!
turboneoffroad
NooB

03 Frontier KA24DE Turbo Project

Post by turboneoffroad »

Hi guys
Just wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with the OBDII ECUS and tuning..
Here's my current setup:

CX Racing FMIC Kit
CX Racing Turbo Manifold
T3/T4 .60 Trim Turbo
Greddy E-Manage Blue (newest version.. 'gold' i believe)
440cc WRX Injectors
OBX Crap Fuel Rail
Innovative MTX-L Wide Band
Tial Style (Bootleg) External Wastegate
GM 3 Bar Map Sensor - Connected to E-Manage
EGR Delete W/10k resistor in place of egr temp sensor
External Adjustable 1:1 Fpr, set to 42PSI @ Idle

Now, here's my "issue".. (My state does OBDII testing, so any OBDI or other standalone is a no-no.. And a S14 ECU will get my vehicle flagged by the state on my next inspection - Wrong ECU ID)
Wastegate set to 10psi - When boost comes on, until i hit around 3800 rpm, it's like a ****.. I watch my wideband jump around from 15.5 - 13.1.. it'll bounce back and forth about 4-5 times, and once I hit around 3800, dead solid at 12.2 - all the way to the crappy 6100 rpm rev limit.
No matter what I do to the maps before 3800, I get the same result.

I should add that my Innovative MTX-L is feeding 2 analog O2 sensor signals to my ECU.. (Sets ALL my OBDII monitors in 25 miles 8)
I'm only feeding the O2 sensors signal from 13.99AFR and 15.03AFR
I absolutely LOVE the E-Manage.. For $240 Shipped from Japan, with all the extra cables - can't be beat
Now, I have the E-Manage controlling my injector duty cycle, and Ignition timing.. everything above 3800rpm is great... Just that back and forth below 3800..
I've tried all types of O2 settings, including straight cutting the signal wires to the ecu - same end result..
I've read somewhere that the MAF in the Frontier tends to go lean when boost comes on.
At this point, I feel like I should just set the E-Manage to clamp the MAF voltage where boost comes on, and just have it use the MAP sensor to control fueling...
Is the OBDII S14 ECU just as infuriating?
Besides that fuel surging, the thing idles at 14.7AFR; almost completely steady.
I wonder if the ECU is just trying to light off the cat (that no longer exists) at lower rpms..

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

I figure I should include a pic....
frontier_turbo2.jpg
FRONTIERonBOOST
Learners Permit

Re: 03 Frontier KA24DE Turbo Project

Post by FRONTIERonBOOST »

02 FRONTIER 2.4 - ARE YOU THROWING CODES FOR THE EGR TEMP SENSOR WITH THE 10K RESISTOR ? I PUT IN A 100K & RECIEVED A P0400 ,THEN REPLACED IT WITH 10 OHM & RECIEVED A PO405... JUST CAME ACROSS YOUR POST :} NOW PUTING IN THE 10K - CROSSING FINGERS....MY MANIFOLD IS BEING BUILT NOW FOR THE 28/71R , JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT LITTLE BUGS AFTER DROPPING THE MOTOR BACK IN. THAT SUCKS YOU CANT RUN A STAND-ALONE ......WERE GOLDEN HERE IN FLORIDA / IM WAITING TO ORDER THE EMS BUT DEBATING MEGASQUIRT

*** Forbidden. Please enable JavaScript. ***
FRONTIERonBOOST
Learners Permit

I was thinking of the cx racing kit... any good ????? I want to scrap the turbo,wastegate, & blow off.. is the plumbing and manifold worth the money ?????
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

I had a cxracing manifold. It cracked. Got it re-welded at my work and was fine. Spend the money once. If all you're concerned with is the manifold and piping buy a good brand used manifold off the forums, and have someone make you IC piping.
FRONTIERonBOOST
Learners Permit

tuzzio wrote:I had a cxracing manifold. It cracked. Got it re-welded at my work and was fine. Spend the money once. If all you're concerned with is the manifold and piping buy a good brand used manifold off the forums, and have someone make you IC piping.

I'm still running stock intake manifold, wich is the only reason I was considering it > throttlebody adapter. original idea was to use the exhaust manifold, piping, & run a gt2876r on it > I had planned to weld some extra brackets, and ceramic coat the exhaust manifold first.
it just seems like the cheapest option
turboneoffroad
NooB

Post by turboneoffroad »

FRONTIERonBOOST wrote:I was thinking of the cx racing kit... any good ????? I want to scrap the turbo,wastegate, & blow off.. is the plumbing and manifold worth the money ?????
actually, it's been pretty good thus far.. 20k miles, and downgraded the turbo to a T3/T4 .50 trim (from a .60 trim)- i ended up getting a bolt-on internal wastegate for the turbo - (better boost control)

I didn't get their whole 'kit' - i got the intercooler 'kit' and then just the basic turbo 'kit' (turbo, manifold, external wastegate, and downpipe)
Word of advice - if you get one of these turbo manifolds, DO NOT USE THE **** GASKETS THAT COME WITH IT!! - just get a new set of the OE style manifold gaskets... really... trust me on this one!
Last edited by turboneoffroad on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turboneoffroad
NooB

Post by turboneoffroad »

FRONTIERonBOOST wrote:
tuzzio wrote:I had a cxracing manifold. It cracked. Got it re-welded at my work and was fine. Spend the money once. If all you're concerned with is the manifold and piping buy a good brand used manifold off the forums, and have someone make you IC piping.

I'm still running stock intake manifold, wich is the only reason I was considering it > throttlebody adapter. original idea was to use the exhaust manifold, piping, & run a gt2876r on it > I had planned to weld some extra brackets, and ceramic coat the exhaust manifold first.
it just seems like the cheapest option
You really don't need any type of change to the throttle body or intake manifold.. (at least not on my version of it) my MAF is actually after the throttle plate - and it doesn't freak out being blown through.. my stock maf seemed to be good to about 8.5-10psi before it maxed out - i have my e-manage set to clamp the voltage at 3.8volts (about 6-7psi) and then the e-manage uses a external 3-bar map from there.. For around $250 (including the ignition and injector harnesses) you really can't beat the older blue e-manage (which you can still get brand new)

As far as flow is concerned with the stock throttle and intake maniold, i'll just say this - even with a LSD conversion to the rear diff, i can't run more than 12-14psi -> any more than that, and I can't keep traction at all.... except in 5th gear... oh wait... then i just hit the friggin 100mph speed limiter!