Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Re: Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd,

Post by cham »

Lol..damn I need a good tune. I want fire and to be cool also.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

p00t wrote:Does it blend between two tables (like the secondary knock table during knock)?
No, not really. My NISTUNE flex fuel setup had full sized maps for flex fuel that were blended with the primary maps based on ethanol content, which I really liked. Nismotronic only has a few small tables that cover sections of the map. It will work, but I feel like flex fuel on NISTUNE was much easier to set up.

I'll post some screenshots of the maps when I get a chance.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

As I've mentioned many times over the years, I have fairly regular issues with back pain. And I recently realized that my driver's seat is way past worn and just not giving any real support... well, anywhere. The back of the seat actually sits crooked so I couldn't sit straight upright if I wanted to. I blame my many years of driving with a "gangsta lean".

So, for health reasons.... I had to remove​ the stock seats and upgrade to R32 GTR seats. This picture shows my "new" seat on the left, and my broken down, dirty, POS factory seat on the right.

Installed
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

that is almost a required mod...your poor back.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

You have no idea. I actually tried to "fix" it a while back by shortening the lateral springs under the cushion. It made a tiny improvement, but just wasn't enough.

Before:

After:
JimmBooost
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by JimmBooost »

LMFAO I'm at work dying! laughing my bahhhhs off when I scrolled down to see your discombobulated limp gangsta lean seat! Looks like you just never lift the gas pedal. LOL Loooks really nice anyways.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

adamky wrote:
p00t wrote:Does it blend between two tables (like the secondary knock table during knock)?
No, not really. My NISTUNE flex fuel setup had full sized maps for flex fuel that were blended with the primary maps based on ethanol content, which I really liked. Nismotronic only has a few small tables that cover sections of the map. It will work, but I feel like flex fuel on NISTUNE was much easier to set up.

I'll post some screenshots of the maps when I get a chance.
Rather than post screenshots, this link should show you the flex fuel maps for Nismotronic: http://www.nismotronic.com/Help/TCSA_SE ... xfuelsetup. It's very basic so I'm sure I'll figure it out.

NISTUNE, on the other hand, has full size/resolution maps for both flex timing advance and fuel trim. Scroll down a little on this link and you'll see the NISTUNE Flex maps and explanations of how it all works: https://conceptzperformance.com/blog/ni ... ps-basics/
I have to say that on this one feature, I prefer Nistune's way of doing it simply because it gives you more control over each cell in the map, whereas Nismotronic has quite small tables that apply to general areas.of the map. Either way would work fine.

BUT, Nismotronic wins in every other category fo sho!
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

I have a similar (ebay?) coil pack bracket. Made a small bracket and self tapered the coil bracket to it and bolted it to the back of the head. (I have no emissions stuff)

Just cleans things up a little bit. Bay looks good though.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I considered that but I figured they would run a little cooler up front behind the radiator fan. They have heat sinks on them, so I assume cooler is probably better for the life of the coil...Image

I honestly hated having to cover up my pretty zinc-plated waterpump and pulley that I spent so much time on. I saw someone either on here or somewhere else mention the cooling issue and the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to put them somewhere that gets good airflow.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

So, as many people told me would eventually happen... I'm starting to get tired of this loud-ass BOV! It sounds awesome when I'm letting off on a high boost run, but it's just too loud and opens up way too often when just lightly accelerating. Thankfully, Tial sells the QR lower housing for $56 that will convert mine to recirculated. I think I'm going to do that and route it back into the turbo intake. That should quiet it down significantly.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

Quiter...
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

IDK my forge was recirculated and it was loud as ****. I think anything with an all metal design will be loud. Join the club and use two Bosch plastic valves :banana-linedance:
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Where did you get that fuse box on the under the hood Adam? I like it. A lot less bulky than the stock one.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
http://www.enginerebuild.net
"Anyone can make power but how long can you make it last?"
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Yeah, I've been told that I'm being too picky about the BOV noise. So, I'll just deal with it. It just really blows the sleeper status, but I'm not sure if recirculating it would even make it any quieter. Will the Bosch plastic valves hold 20+ psi?

Duron, the fuse box cover is the stock cover. I removed a row of the fusebox that was basically unused. I then cut and heated the cover to reshape it to fit the smaller lower section. I used plastic weld epoxy to fill in the gaps and then painted it with VHT wrinkle black paint.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

adamky wrote:Yeah, I've been told that I'm being too picky about the BOV noise. So, I'll just deal with it. It just really blows the sleeper status, but I'm not sure if recirculating it would even make it any quieter. Will the Bosch plastic valves hold 20+ psi?
They are used on cars that run 18psi or so, I have been running 20psi on my car no issues. I am definitely not concerned about their pressure capability. But the OD for tubing is only 1" so they don't flow nearly what a "real" recirc valve would flow. They do get rid of the high pitched noise entirely which is what bugged me enough to stuff two of them into my piping. Not many solutions for the noise so I know how you feel about it.

Maybe fit a muffler in your intake piping? :icon-lol:
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Do you have a link or part number for the ones you run?

Well, I have good news. The car is finally back to around the same boost/power as it was right before I pulled the Nistune setup. I have Ethanol content up to 77% now. On 21 psi, it's a beast. I can feel the back end getting squirrelly through the top of 3rd gear and I still haven't taken it much past 6000 rpm.

I checked the track schedule and weather and it doesn't look like there will be any racing going on this weekend. Looks like the next Test and Tune night is July 5th. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can get out there then.

I still have these suckers sitting around collecting dust. I threw some Plastidip on them so they don't stand out as much as they do with the chrome.

I have a few friends trying to set up races for me. One is against a stock C6 Vette and the other is a 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 with bolt-ons. On corn and 20+ psi, I ain't skeered of neither of 'em.
:auto-layrubber:
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

06A145710P

Try to find ones on ebay that say made in Germany, lots of knockoffs. You'd be able to run them to atmosphere so you can hide them wherever in your piping, underneath your hotpipe maybe? I'm still using a draw through MAF so it was a lot of fun for me. You could always try one at first maybe VTA is OK with one?

Mine were $58 total for both shipped.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Thanks, poot!

Well, the weather changed for the better. Test and tune night at the track is tomorrow and there's no rain expected, so I'm going for it. I have no helmet and no safety equipment, so I won't be surprised if I only get a pass or two in before they shut me down.

Kill mode engaged:

I spent about an hour or so street tuning on the DRs. Awesome grip. Even without heating them up, they held 20 psi in 2nd gear without any spinning. I'm very excited to see what it will do. I don't expect to get more than a run or two in, so I plan on going HAM on the first pass!

Another note, it's funny how getting traction can actually make the car feel slower!
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

updates? How quickly did you get thrown out? let me live vicariously through you...
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It didn't go as well as planned and I only got two runs in. First off, I wasn't allowed to do a burnout and I'm still not sure why. Someone in a Mini Cooper had mentioned earlier that they would probably wave me around the water box and that's exactly what they did. It's not like I'm going to roll down my window and argue with track officials, so I had no choice but to go along with it.

On the first run, I got violent wheel hop and ended up short shifting into 2nd gear. Then I had to wait for boost to build. So, that run was terrible. It was like a 9.7 or 9.8. After the run, I realized that I had forgotten to air the DRs down. They were still @ 32 psi.

So, for run #2, I aired the tires down to 16 psi. I backed down the boost solenoid duty cycle because I saw it briefly spoke to 24 psi in the data log of the previous run. I also lowered my launch RPM from 4800 to 4300 rpm.

I line up for run #2. I focused on not getting overly excited and releasing the clutch too fast like I usually do. I slipped it pretty good and for the first 10 feet or so, it felt like the tires actually hooked and there was no wheel hop. But then it cut out like I had hit a rev limiter. So, once again, I short shifted to 2nd gear and had to wait for boost to build. It pulled hard once boost kicked in and I ended up with a 9.3 @ 88 mph. I obviously messed up the launch, but that 88 mph trap speed made me feel a little better. My highest trap speed on my supercharger and this same wheel/tire setup was 79 mph. Most cars that ran around 88 mph were running mid 7's to low 8's.

As I was analyzing the log of the run, I realized that when I lowered the launch by 500 RPM, I had not lowered the launch cutoff speed from the default 10 mph. So, as I was slipping the clutch, there was a point where I was hitting the launch rev limiter BEFORE the launch speed was reached. A lower launch speed limit would have disabled the launch rev limiter sooner, thus defaulting to the regular rev limit of 7300 rpm.

In the middle of this, my buddy walks up and says, "What happened there at the end? You blew a bunch of smoke out as you were going through the traps. They sent someone down after you to check the track". I was like, "Say what now?". I quickly rechecked the AFRs in the log and they were 11.4-11.6 all through 2nd and 3rd gear. Timing was anywhere from 18-20 degrees through the run, which is fine (81% Ethanol). So, tune was fine. I pop the hood and see oil sprayed all over my valve cover, distributor, turbo manifold, charge piping, etc. I immediately start feeling around my turbo oil feed line, but none of the fittings felt like they had been leaking. As I'm trying to triangulate the leak, I notice the dipstick is sticking out by about an inch and that all of the oil spray seemed to radiate out from there... bingo! Dipstick pushed out with oil sprayed everywhere is a classic sign of excess crankcase pressure. At this point, I was worried I had pissed off some other drivers who had to wait while they checked the track. So, I parked the car and just watched from the stands for the rest of the night.

So, what happened? In all of my street testing, I have never even seen the vac tank get lower than 2 inHg. And I certainly have never seen it go into positive pressure. But... it's just a big vacuum storage tank and it can only go so far. From the moment I engage the 2-step and the intake manifold sees boost, I'm no longer pulling vacuum on the setup. And with Full Throttle Shift, I never lift my foot off of the gas pedal, so the setup doesn't see any vacuum between shifts either. From start to finish, I'm running on vacuum reserve. That scenario just doesn't happen often on the street.

Now, if I was running a basic 10-15 psi pump gas turbo setup, I'm fairly confident that this wouldn't be an issue. But 20+ psi on corn with 18-20 degrees of IGN timing generates a lot more cylinder pressure and blow-by, and there's just not enough reserve in the system to accommodate it all.

I was already worried about this issue happening eventually, so I already have a fix about 95% done. It will utilize an electric smog pump that you can find in a junkyard for $10-20. Testing has shown that it will pull a legit 4" of vacuum while moving a decent amount of air. I have another programmable output on the Nismotronic ECU that I will use to trigger the pump when the tank vacuum drops below a certain level at WOT. Hopefully I'll have pics and video of the setup by the end of the weekend.

I'm determined to make good on beating that 8.59 ET before the season is over. This car should have no problems hitting low 8's once I can dial the launch settings in and learn how to launch it properly. The important part is that I carefully analyze each run and try to focus on consistency above anything else. I am really looking forward to going back to the track and working on this some more.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

What are you using to host your pics? Photobucket can go ***** themselves now for the **** they pulled
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Photobucket. I already had a paid account before all of this happened, although i don't pay anywhere near $39.99 a month. And there's no way I'm paying that much. I keep checking my pics wondering if they are.going to shut them down, but so far, so good.
hotbox240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by hotbox240 »

Post your time slip in the drag racing section.
12.43 @ 115.06 - 05/2010
12.28 @ 117.61 - 08/2016
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

2-step'n:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXnvymIblbU

I'll post a slip from my next time at the track. The last 2 runs were just shakedown runs
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I had to delete that first video. Here it is again: https://youtu.be/AgUPrWj95NQ
cham

Post by cham »

That's usually how it goes
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Good progress Adam, keep it up.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

How are you tuning your car Adam when it comes to ignition timing? What compression are you pistons and what thickness head gasket are you running?
supakat wrote:Good progress Adam, keep it up.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I had a little fun last weekend with some friends on some twisty back roads. I'm still editing video footage, and I'm having to learn new software and I just haven't had much time to mess with it. It's Pinnacle 20. Hopefully I can go through it all and get it uploaded soon.

Here's a little group pic from the day.

Corvette is a C6 LS3 (bone stock, as far as I know). The Subaru is running a built motor and a 3076R turbo at 18+ psi, I believe. It was professionally tuned on pump gas to 375whp and it seems like its a pretty well balanced car. The BMW has basic bolt ons and a Dinan chip/tune. It handles well, but he couldn't keep up with the rest of us just due to not enough power. I was on 22 psi and, more notably, I was on MT ET Streets @ 22 psi. Regardless, no one could pull away from me when I was following, and no one could keep up with me when I was leading the pack. On the way home, I ran the Corvette on a 40-120 mph pull and I think I was 3-4 cars ahead when I let off, even though I had started slightly behind him. Needless to say, it was a very fun day for me :D
I pushed the car harder than I have ever pushed it and it seemed to take it like a champ. In fact, I got the rear brakes so hot that when I stopped, the heat from the rotors was actually making the Plastidip on the inside of the wheel heat up and smoke..!
I have video of both the runs through the twisties, AND the highway run against the Vette. Stay tuned or sub to my YT channel for videos.
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Great Job Adam. Yea, KA's are remarkably reliable when built properly and not being cheap on the setup. As you turn up the power you will really love the car. 22 psi is my daily and I love it at that level for daily driving.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766