Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd, S14

This is for all those PICTURE THREADS ONLY. Motor installs, product writeups, showing off your car, put the thread in here.
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Re: Adam's formerly supercharged... now soon-to-be-turbo'd,

Post by duncan351 »

Great Job Adam. Yea, KA's are remarkably reliable when built& tuned properly. Are you liking turbo over supercharged yet :D .
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
http://www.enginerebuild.net
"Anyone can make power but how long can you make it last?"
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Lol, yeah, I definitely prefer turbo at this point. I had never even ridden in a 500 hp car before this build, much less built and drove one!

Here is the highway run against the C6 Corvette:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BbwhngqcM

Also, after talking to some other knowledgeable tuners, I decided to back down my ignition timing. It's now around 15* @ 22 psi, instead of the 20* is was before. This is just to be cautious and avoid lifting the head once I crank up the boost.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I was coming home yesterday and had a little fun with a red GTR on the highway. Whatever he had done to it, it was pretty quick. I sure couldn't pull away from him. Halfway through the top of 4th gear, I depleted my PCV vacuum tank. I pressurized the crankcase, blew the dipstick out, which made a huge smoke cloud behind me. Dude in the GTR probably thought I blew my motor!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
cham
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by cham »

Good job on the build. I blew the dip stick all the time past 15psi. I run 20psi daily and hit 25 and 30psi when my waste gate would stick for a few seconds. I tried scavenger for a cleaner look but went back to pre turbo and catch can. Scavenger started smelling bad. Those stock vettes can't handle us. Haven't tried a subi but evo 10s are no match either with just bolt ons.
nelson240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by nelson240sx »

What's your crankcase vent setup Adam?

Very nice build by the way, I'm just starting my 4th KA-T build... Can't get enough of these things and I haven't blow one up yet, lol
KA24E-T 06/06 to 10/09 (T25 then H1C Holset) - sold
KA24DE-T 12/09 to 10/11 (T4/TO4E) - sold
KA24DE-T 11/14 to 8/15 (T4/TO4S BB) - sold
SR20DE-T exo-car build 06/13 to 3/16 (EFR6758)
^ now VH45DE-T 6/16 to 10/21 (Billet T04S BB)
^now KA24DE-T 1/22 to current (EFR 7163)
Miata 1.8 turbo 9/15 to 3/17 (VF39) - sold
KA24DE-T build 8/17 to 4/19 (EFR6758) - sold
12.6:1 Turbo KA-T 4/19 to 7/21 (EFR7163) - sold
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

nelson240sx wrote:What's your crankcase vent setup Adam?

Very nice build by the way, I'm just starting my 4th KA-T build... Can't get enough of these things and I haven't blow one up yet, lol
I'm using Greaser's PCV setup. Search on here and you'll find several threads on it.

I finally got my own "garage". It's more like a big wood shed, but it will do
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

i tried adding a "brake booster vacuum pump" to my setup and didnt really help like i thought it would. More testing once i finish the dual rear calipers to be able to build boost standing still.

Was thinking of using my ac compressor as a vacuum pump rather than a real engine vacuum pump. We'll see who knows what i'll go with but i know i want boost on the motor and vacuum in the tank no matter how long the pull is.
Greaser
Master of Knowledge

Post by Greaser »

oh an if youre e85 still, put that timing back up to 20+. My base line starting is 22, hondas like anywhere from 25 to 33 depending on a bunch of things whether they have vtec killers or not and displacement. Our 2j has always been locked at 22 no matter what boost pressure. On nos i do pull a bit but thats changed since we went 7's.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Greaser wrote:i tried adding a "brake booster vacuum pump" to my setup and didnt really help like i thought it would. More testing once i finish the dual rear calipers to be able to build boost standing still.

Was thinking of using my ac compressor as a vacuum pump rather than a real engine vacuum pump. We'll see who knows what i'll go with but i know i want boost on the motor and vacuum in the tank no matter how long the pull is.
I haven't posted updates in forever, but I installed an electric vacuum pump and it works pretty well. I'm controlling it with Nismotronic. So, I was able to set conditions and be very specific about it. Under WOT, I no longer deplete my vacuum tank. As soon as it hits 3-4 inHg, the ECU kicks the pump on and maintains 3 inHg for as long as it's running.

It's just a simple brushed motor. Here's a pic showing where I installed it. It just dumps straight down and back. It's connected to the tank with a one-way valve, which stays shut until the pump is activated.

I have been working on a brushless upgrade that will pull 6-8 inHg on my bench. I'm controlling it with an Arduino Uno. But, I'm still working on the programming for it and haven't touched it in months. Eventually though, it will be done. Here are some pics of it so far..
supersayianjim
Learners Permit

Post by supersayianjim »

awesome thread, I'm doing a similar build with the same manifold, nismotronic also. if I need help tuning can I hit you up?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Sure. I'm pretty busy these days, so my response time can be a bit slow.

I finally traced down my coolant leak and fixed it. Woo hoo! The front lower intake manifold nut had backed out and it was leaking past the intake gasket. Tightened the nut down with some Loctite on it and I can't find any more leaks. I might actually have this bi*ch running again soon!!

:auto-layrubber:
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Spoke too soon. Still leaking at the intake manifold gasket coolant passage. Dammit..
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

Use a one of those thermal spacers. I re-used my old one atleast 5 times and never had a leak.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

One of the few issues I hate about the KA. I had thermal gasket and leaked boost until I noticed the mani did not have enough meat. I fixed by adding material with JB weld. Not sure if the flange warped or thermal shrunk after heat cycles. You will get this.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Normally it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I have a pretty busy family life now, so who knows when the hell I'll get this fixed. And if I'm going to pull the intake manifold, I'm going to go ahead and fix a few things, like the 1/8" NPT ports on the plenum that are tapped way too deep.
superDorifto

Post by superDorifto »

I share you pain on the manifold...really wish there was an extra stud or 2 so the coolant passage could be divorced from the intake. My first build I had a small leak under the manifold and it soaked my harness - the coolant has such a high vapor pressure that it never really dried out - combine an always wet harness with 20 year old injector wiring and you have a rich condition that was diagnosable for the longest time...
cham

Post by cham »

I done what duron said and it works. Sandwich the thermal gasket between 2 stock gaskets. Fixed
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

She's back on the road :auto-layrubber:
cham

Post by cham »

How did you fix it?
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Pulled the intake manifold, replaced the gasket with a FelPro, and replaced the stud at the front with an Allen head bolt. Also had to replace the throttle body because the shaft that the pulley rode on got pulled out of the side of the throttle body a while back. Been running on zip ties up until now.

I beat the crap out of the car this weekend and she took it like a champ. Embarrassed several muscle cars and hurt some feelings. Ran a bike on the highway through 3rd and 4th gear and was slowly pulling on him before we had to let off. Not sure what it was, but it looked and sounded like a 650+cc... maybe...? Also embarrassed some jacka55 in a big diesel truck and he ended up causing this while trying to run me off of the road:
cham

Post by cham »

Sounds like my kind of party..lol
mewantkouki
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by mewantkouki »

#madmax lol
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

In other news, I may have an idea where that insane drivetrain clunk has been coming from.
I knew the Energy Suspension diff bushings for this car were a sh!tty design, but WTF?? They completely disentegrated..

cham

Post by cham »

I had a clunk. My lug nuts were coming loose. In other news my 10mm head studs are done after 13 years, several gaskets and 2 builds. The head lifted twice recently on me. Time for ls turbo or 2j swap. I'll hold on to the ka and redo it for another car.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Clunk no more...

Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

You sexy stallion, you
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

looking great! Awesome to see the continuing progression man, keep up the great work as always!

Was the Arduino programming hard to learn?
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I actually gave up on the Arduino programming. It was way overcomplicated for what I need.

However, just yesterday, I realized that I can hack a cheap servo tester to control the brushless motor. I simply have to remove the potentiometer from the board and use resistors and a relay to get the controller to change the motor speed at the flip of a switch. I just tested it a minute ago by simply bridging 2 of the potentiometer pins and the motor spun up to full throttle.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Still kicking ass. Nice kills!
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022