Supertech connecting rods?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
shiftiteasy
NooB

Supertech connecting rods?

Post by shiftiteasy »

Hey there guys, new member/first post. Picked up a KA24DE-T swap (came with SR injectors, cheap ebay turbo kit, z32 maf, trans, driveline, welded rear differential, ecu (i was told was nistuned, the cover says enthrapy) for my 1974 Datsun 260Z, anyways i'm thinking i'll rebuild it, long story short i have been searching a lot and you guys have tons of useful information and seems like quite a number of very knowledgeable regulars on here, so thanks for that in advance! My question is, i've found some forged connecting rods on Evasive Motorsports website, they are Supertech brand, And i tried searching, but all i can find is people running supertech valvetrain components, and in some cases supertech pistons. Anyone have any information/experience with their connecting rods? Also, are the dimensions they give applicable for use on an otherwise OEM setup(block/crank) obviously i wouldn't run them with factory pistons, but idk the excess of dimensions just pique'd my suspicion.

Thanks for everything so far, and in advance for any help.

-Jordan

P,S, I'd be lying if i said the price wasn't what drew me towards them....

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/stor ... P8QAvD_BwE
shiftiteasy
NooB

Re: Supertech connecting rods?

Post by shiftiteasy »

**** the bed, they're individually priced, my apologies gent's! still curious if anyone's ran them?
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

What are your power goals on the engine? 400 or less and you don't need con rods, IMHO, you're fine having the stock rods peened and using them. It's the pistons and ring gaps that matter for boost. I can't speak to the quality of the supertech rods, but, one of the things you need to look at is their weight. One of the things that stuck out to me on my Manley H beams was they were one of the lightest in their category. Makes a big difference in engine response.

Ultimately, what are your goals with the engine though? Do you even need rods? Have you talked to an engine builder to do the machine work? What's their feedback... I'd weigh that pretty heavily too.
shiftiteasy
NooB

Post by shiftiteasy »

So i'd like something between just fun to drive, and a sleeper, although i think in a gutted Datsun 260Z sleeper status might not be difficult to achieve.

When i brought the motor home, i took the oil pan off, and the girdle and one of the counterweights on the crank have a little damage/burrs on them, indicating something came apart in the motor once (i'll post pics in a minute). As for machining, my father got a master's degree in machining in 1982, and I'm only 26, so my entire life has been manual machining (can't read or write G-code's or the like so no CNC), mostly industrial and heavy equipment, but my father along with my older brothers have built engines throughout my childhood, now it's my turn. I've got a metal lathe, milling machine, 180 amp miller TIG etc in my garage at home, and access to many other machines at the shop we worked at. I'm not concerned with making over 400 horsepower, that shouldn't be a goal for some time to come, but since the motor looks like it's had a rough life, i was going to atleast tear it apart and magnaflux the block to make sure it's usable. Brings me to my next question, if i were to rebuild it with factory spec internals, it looks like factory rods need to be sourced from other used engines? I apologize for any lack of searching that could have brought me to the answer, i tried a pretty feeble search last night and i believe that's what i came up with.

Thanks.
shiftiteasy
NooB

Post by shiftiteasy »

Pics of the damage.
Attachments
9E80F940-DB7B-47C9-B1C3-C39FFD79757D.jpeg
6E85A3DA-F167-4083-83AC-A3FE9BDFAF4B.jpeg
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Pm sent. This site still hates my home IP address and im not typing all that out on a phone haha.