Best T3 manifold for the money?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
9s14
Learners Permit

Best T3 manifold for the money?

Post by 9s14 »

I’m in the market for a t3 manifold, and I haven’t really seen an up-to-date thread on manifolds that are currently available to buy. Full Race is out of my budget, and I’ve heard mixed things about CX. The XS Power manifold looks nice but I haven’t seen anything about it. The Doc Race top mount looked beautiful but it’s discontinued, and the Ebay cast log manifold doesn’t seem promising. So, any suggestions? I am also looking to retain my AC.
9s14
Learners Permit

Re: Best T3 manifold for the money?

Post by 9s14 »

Is it possible to retain AC with the treadstone performance cast iron log manifold?
R34SR
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by R34SR »

I ended up using an emusa cast manifold but had to Port the **** outta it on all runners and the wastegate outlet. At the end of the day I believe it was choking my exhaust at around 320whp....I just removed it and I'm selling it, along with the custom downpipe and knock off tial wastegate setup. For the price and if your powergoal is sub 350....it will work....I'm in the process of installing an OBX t3 tubular manifold to see if that frees up some hp...it will probably crack but I'll just weld it back.

The cxracing 11ga manifold looks like the only option aside from spending $1500+ on fullrace twin scroll.

Keep in mind tomei makes a beautiful t2 manifold and with turbos like gtx2867 or efrs you can supposedly hit 400hp efficiently on these new tech small frame turbos.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
9s14
Learners Permit

Post by 9s14 »

R34SR wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:23 am I ended up using an emusa cast manifold but had to Port the **** outta it on all runners and the wastegate outlet. At the end of the day I believe it was choking my exhaust at around 320whp....I just removed it and I'm selling it, along with the custom downpipe and knock off tial wastegate setup. For the price and if your powergoal is sub 350....it will work....I'm in the process of installing an OBX t3 tubular manifold to see if that frees up some hp...it will probably crack but I'll just weld it back.

The cxracing 11ga manifold looks like the only option aside from spending $1500+ on fullrace twin scroll.

Keep in mind tomei makes a beautiful t2 manifold and with turbos like gtx2867 or efrs you can supposedly hit 400hp efficiently on these new tech small frame turbos.
Would you ship the emusa manifold setup? How much would you want?

I’ve been bouncing around between going t2 with the Tomei or ISR manifold or t3 but I’m pretty set on T3 because I don’t like the drop off with t2 turbo setups after 6k. I’m building a street driven drift car.

I think if I went with the emusa manifold I would eventually upgrade it though, and I kind of want to just get the “upgrade” manifold now so I don’t have to buy another one down the line and possibly have to see what works with the old setup and what doesn’t. I saw a thread for that obx manifold but I can’t seem to find them for sale anywhere. By the way were you able to keep AC with the emusa manifold?
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Happy with my cx racing 11ga so far. I converted the downpipe to 90mm Vband. Should be able to run ac with it but i am not.

This is on an s14a btw.
9s14
Learners Permit

Post by 9s14 »

NukeKS14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:59 am Happy with my cx racing 11ga so far. I converted the downpipe to 90mm Vband. Should be able to run ac with it but i am not.

This is on an s14a btw.
No brake master issues ? How long you had it and have you had any problems with the welds cracking?
9s14
Learners Permit

Post by 9s14 »

I found someone local selling an OBX t3 manifold for a good price, does anyone have experience between the OBX and the CX manifold?
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

9s14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am
NukeKS14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:59 am Happy with my cx racing 11ga so far. I converted the downpipe to 90mm Vband. Should be able to run ac with it but i am not.

This is on an s14a btw.
No brake master issues ? How long you had it and have you had any problems with the welds cracking?
Zero bmc issues. I did have to relocate my ps reservoir slightly toward fender. Running BW s257sx/e turbo w t3 ex into 90mm vband. No cracking after approx 12-14k miles on mani. About 10k since rebuild.

Pics vs emusa log and my setup.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/introductio ... 23712.html

primaries are MUCH better

Mocked up with a cheapie T3/T4. If you're running Nismo/Megan motor mounts, it's going to be REALLY close to the hood. like, your oil feed line will hit the hood if you don't clock the center-cartridge correctly. I'm running P2M motor mounts and plenty of room but the Nismo/Megan mounts raise the engine up quite a bit.

That's how much clearance I have w/ the 'large' turbo and P2M mounts. Plenty of room. I had the megan mounts on there before and I had 1-2mm clearance between the hood and oil feed line. At rest. may have been touching on engine deflection

I would absolutely advise doing 2 things to the CX manifold; 1) do a relief cut between the #2 and #3 primaries. I'm running OEM exhaust manifold gaskets now and I have had ZERO issues of exhaust leaks.
2)If you're going to run anything above a T3/T4, Pony up and hack off the old-school Tial 38mm wastegate flange and weld a proper MVR 44 ring on there. I had to upgrade my wastegate when I upgraded turbos. The angle on the wastegate dump is not ideal and a 38mm WG was causing horrid boost creep on my setup. on a QUALITY Precision turbo PW39 wastegate. Just some food for thought. yes I am/was externally divorced. smooth mandrel bends on the dump tube.

No kidding about needing to port the heck out of the EMUSA manifold. That's what was on the car when I bought it.
9s14
Learners Permit

Post by 9s14 »

NukeKS14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:37 pm
9s14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am

This is on an s14a btw.
Zero bmc issues. I did have to relocate my ps reservoir slightly toward fender. Running BW s257sx/e turbo w t3 ex into 90mm vband. No cracking after approx 12-14k miles on mani. About 10k since rebuild.

Pics vs emusa log and my setup.

https://forums.nicoclub.com/introductio ... 23712.html

primaries are MUCH better

Mocked up with a cheapie T3/T4. If you're running Nismo/Megan motor mounts, it's going to be REALLY close to the hood. like, your oil feed line will hit the hood if you don't clock the center-cartridge correctly. I'm running P2M motor mounts and plenty of room but the Nismo/Megan mounts raise the engine up quite a bit.

That's how much clearance I have w/ the 'large' turbo and P2M mounts. Plenty of room. I had the megan mounts on there before and I had 1-2mm clearance between the hood and oil feed line. At rest. may have been touching on engine deflection

I would absolutely advise doing 2 things to the CX manifold; 1) do a relief cut between the #2 and #3 primaries. I'm running OEM exhaust manifold gaskets now and I have had ZERO issues of exhaust leaks.
2)If you're going to run anything above a T3/T4, Pony up and hack off the old-school Tial 38mm wastegate flange and weld a proper MVR 44 ring on there. I had to upgrade my wastegate when I upgraded turbos. The angle on the wastegate dump is not ideal and a 38mm WG was causing horrid boost creep on my setup. on a QUALITY Precision turbo PW39 wastegate. Just some food for thought. yes I am/was externally divorced. smooth mandrel bends on the dump tube.

No kidding about needing to port the heck out of the EMUSA manifold. That's what was on the car when I bought it.
Ton of awesome info here man. Can you show me your new wastegate setup? And why did you make a relief cut between 2 and 3?
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

ill see if i can find a pic. If the manifold comes back off of the car i'll weld the proper fitting on.

Metals have their own unique thermal expansion/contraction rates. You have a stainless steel flange on an aluminum head. The relief cut gives the metal room to expand. Notice how the oem iron manifold isnt one single piece but instead 4 separate primaries. In the case of a single "sheet" of metal, when it heats and expands, the only way to go is out and the edges can curl outward causing exhaust leaks on the 1 and 4 primary corners. Relief cut in the middle allows another edge for growth and a relief from expansion in the center. The way the flange changes and how stresses are applied is based on the temperature profile as the metal heats too. Itll be hotter in the middle where its exposed to the exhaust stream first and colder on the outside until the manifold saturates.
9s14
Learners Permit

Post by 9s14 »

So basically just make a vertical cut right in the middle of the exhaust manifold flange. My buddy has this manifold on his ka24e and said he had to repair/reinforce it in a spot, I’m guessing you haven’t. Maybe not yet :p
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

well.... speak of the devil and he will appear. I got my first crack today after about a year. I'll be pulling it this week and see if I can get it welded and reinforced.

Right where the #1 primary joins the collector, at the weld.

9s14
Learners Permit

Post by 9s14 »

NukeKS14 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:52 pm well.... speak of the devil and he will appear. I got my first crack today after about a year. I'll be pulling it this week and see if I can get it welded and reinforced.

Right where the #1 primary joins the collector, at the weld.

I see what you mean. That sucks that it cracked on you. Should probably go over all the welds at the collector for peace of mind.
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Ah my wife said she was tired of me having manifold issues on the car (that emusa unit that came on the car was a real pita too and leaked at the head) so... i just ordered the full race unit to replace this. Ill probably reweld and post this and the downpipe up for sale down the road.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Your a lucky guy, I've put that full race manifold in my cart many times and never clicked check out 🤣 honestly I really would like a gtx2867 and the tomei manifold....350 to 380responsive whp is plenty for me. But for now I'm working with the obx t3 , custom downpipe and a holset hx35 with a .63 backend.
Attachments
IMG_20200725_203548.jpg
IMG_20200802_220619.jpg
IMG_20200723_174811.jpg
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Ah nice. I am switching to a divided housing .78 A/R exhaust on my BW s257 sx-e. Hoping to see spool a few hundred rpm sooner over the open housing .82 A/R i have now.

And, yeah, I am a lucky dude. :cool:
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

So full-race manifold is in. I am talking to them but have 3 fitment issues. I'll start by saying the manifold is heavy (20+ lbs!) And extremely well made. I have no concerns about this lasting for the long haul.

That said, it hit on my s14 non ABS brake master cylinder. Where the proportioning valve comes out of the bottom, it places the wastegate RIGHT there. I fixed that by swapping to a z32 bmc. All good. Second place was the #1 primary hits the top outlet on the power steering pump. The banjo bolt on that 'tube'. I cut off the post on the other end of that tube and reclocked it and it's set now. The lower vacuum line between the pump and ps reservoir also comes into contact with the #1 primary. I found a 5/8" ID silicon hose, preformed at a 90 degree bend. I'll connect that with a 5/8 coupler to go to the reservoir. The last issue is hood clearance with my turbo. Im using the p2m style motor mounts so my **** is already pretty low. I ordered the xcessive 3/4" lowering KA mounts and I'll shim so there is adequate clearance between the oil pan and crossmember. Hoping to not have to slot one of the hood brace members as it only touches while the motor deflects on acceleration.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Yea I have xcessive low mounts...I hate that you do have to shim their mounts to clear the oil pan...**** design.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

How much did you have to shim? I may just use the driver's side one to 'tilt' the engine a little. I have a little less than 1" of clearance as it is with the p2m mounts lowered to the max.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Well now that my new gktech poly bushes have settled, the oil pan is resting on the cross member, no fault of gktech...it's the xcessive lowering mounts. I'm going to try shim 1/8 of an inch and if that doesn't give me a gap , 1/4". The sucky part is that I just finished fabbing my entire turbo downpipe and wastegate recirc before noticing this....I'm pretty sure if I shim it, things won't bolt up, at the very least hit the floor pan. To make matters worse I'm about to install a z32 tranny kit from mazworx....and my current downpipe almost touches my ka bellhousing....so not sure with z32 box it will fit...😅
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

I had to add about 1/2" to my driver's side to give enough oil pan to rack-and-pinion clearance for my comfort FWIW. I only used the driver's side Xcessive mount but I got the hood clearance I needed. Short story on the dyno this morning, I lost 5hp peak but gained 16 ft/lb torque. The real story is in the power under the curve though. I gained a solid 300 rpm of spool and it's a lot more responsive. We did run it out to 7500 RPM but the power drops pretty sharply after 7k. I guess I need to get some Tomei cam gears so I can get these cams degreed. (Orange is the prior dyno. 40F ambient back in April when that was done, currently mid 60's out. Yeah dyno should compensate for DA but, it's a point worth making.)

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

That's a solid powerband, pretty much what I'm looking for....I'm gonna try with my cheap obx manifold first and also my hx35 with .63 rear end.....won't be surprised if I can't flow enough to get there tho.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

importdude
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by importdude »

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Those look very similar to the Fel-pro I'm using which have worked better than the Mr. Gasket copper ones, IMHO. and, yes I had the manifold I ran the copper one on planed by a machinist. Still leaked on the outermost corners of #1 and #4 cylinders. No leakage on my Full-Race or predecessor using the Fel-Pro ones like importdude posted.
importdude
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by importdude »

The Felpro ones are good. But these are much thicker and compress and expand to the flange. very neat.

I was going to run the copper/metal 1 pcs one but looking at it i felt like its gonna be hard to seal. The manifold/turbo itself is super heavy. the flange is usually very thick also. with this type of gasket it will conform to the head/flange better
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Pulled the trigger on the full race manifold today...maperformance.com sold me one for $1240+tax, free shipping and a free hoodie....I did it because I don't believe full race will make these much longer and I know support for the ka is pretty much dead esp in the manifold department. T2 buy a tomei.

Plan to run a bws257sxe also...probably learn from you and run the same .78 divided housing. Keep her under 400wtq and see what hp I can get at 18 to 20psi.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Also I wanted to add, I feel like when I started with the ka it was always about value, I couldn't afford an rb25 and I was always trying to find the best bang for my buck....I think the majority of ka owners are like this....but it's a double edged sword. Because of that same mentality alot of manufacturers didn't bother manufacturing quality parts for us and those that do have to charge more because the volume just isn't there. Now that I'm older, 33 vs 20 when I started with my ka....not only am I more willing to spend on better parts ( admittedly I can also afford alot more), but I've learned my lesson about spending twice on crap parts vs once on good parts.

Sorry for the thread jack.

End rant.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Youre good man. Nice deal. Glad to see you joining the dark side