KA intake manifold mysteries revealed: emissions removal DIY

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

KA intake manifold mysteries revealed: emissions removal DIY

Post by fiznat »

**This is a double post from NICO but I thought I would post it here also since this is the main KA-T spot**

I dont think anyone has ever done a DIY on this, so since my mani is all apart now for cleaning and paint (and *cough* fixingofafewleaks...), I thought I'd help people out with this since it seems to be a pretty common question.

This DIY will outline the parts you can remove (and the parts you can keep) on the S13 intake manifold when doing a KA-T build.

Please do not post until I'm done with the entire DIY: I will say when I'm done. Thanks guys!

Overview of the parts

The intake manifold can be separated into an upper portion and a lower portion. Most of the emissions control/idle/coolant stuff is located on the lower portion, with the exception of the PCV system which gets vaccums from the upper portion. I will explain further.

Upper portion is on the left, lower portion is on the right. In between is the mounting hardware for the manifold. Note also that there is a gasket that fits in between these two parts (Advance Auto has both intake mani gaskets - this one and the one between the mani and the head - for 6 bucks).

Aux. Parts

Most of the parts that you NEED to keep when pulling emissions stuff off of the mani are right here on this cardboard box.

Note also that there are a couple other small things that I left on the lower portion while painting that you will need as well. You will see these parts in later pics and also it will be obvious what is necessary, as everything fits together in unison so you can't just exclude something and forget about it without obvious dangling parts.
Last edited by fiznat on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by fiznat »

What you keep

I dont have a list of everything that you can throw away, but I do have pics and info on the things you need to keep. Everything else, you can assume, may be removed and disposed of/sold.

This is the back of the completely assembled lower portion of the intake mani:

Okay starting from the top right, the rusty brown part is the beginning of the EGR. Note that I have blocked the exit hole there with that plate I made (shaped sort of like a house with a roof). You need to make sure you get a good seal here.

Directly below my EGR block off plate is a big thick metal pipe. This runs in between the AAC (Aux Air Control Device - commonly referred to as the IACV- Idle Air Control Valve. This valve, with the purple plug on it, lets air into your intake manifold to regulate idle speed) and the front of the engine, where it needs to see a vaccum before the throttle plate (more on this later).

You can't see it in this pic, but that large pipe also has a small branch off of that goes into another necessary valve which is associated with the IACV/AAC (this is the part with the red spot on it).

Note that both the AAC/IACV and the other valve have electrical connections (total of 3) that need to remain. These go towards the throttle body and attach to a plug up there.

See to the left of the part with the red spot on it, there are some small metal hoses. These were used for various emissions related vaccum lines. You will not need these specifically, but they are a pain to remove and you can use them yourself to transport vaccum if you would like later on for things like your BOV or whatever.
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by fiznat »

What you can keep contd.

This is the "underside" of the lower intake manifold. The rear of the mani is to the right, the front including the throttle body is to the left. Towards the top you can see that long metal pipe for the IACV/AAC that I mentioned above. Also you can see the branch off into the other valve (with the green sticker, this is the one that had the red spot on it in the pic before). Below the pipe you can see one vaccum hose that comes out of the intake manifold, makes a curve (upsidedown U) and goes into a metal pipe (next to the fat rubber hose). This is a vaccum that goes up towards the front, that USED to be used for the charcoal canister. Remember to follow this line and mark which one it is up front, because this vaccum will need to be plugged (or used for your BOV if you want to be crafty). If you dont plug or use this line, your idle will be very high and it will take you forever to find out why.

Also note the big fat rubber hose next to that vaccum. This is a coolant line that just rons from front to back on the manifold. It is the return line from the heater core.

Below that large rubber hose is a series of small metal pipes. These can be removed like I said, but they are a pain and you might want to use them for yourself.

Below those pipes you can see the long black (shiny) wire that runs from the valves in back to the plug up front. I zip-tied these to the small metal tubes to keep everything neat.
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by fiznat »

More on what you can keep

This is the front of the intake manifold. Note that I put the upper and lower together in this pic so you can see how things fit together.

Starting from the right on the upper intake manifold, you can see two sensors - one red, one blackish. These are coolant sensors that you obviously have to keep. When youre doing all this messing with your intake manifold, I reccomend taking these out and re-teflon taping them up for for a good seal.

To the left of those sensors you can see the small metal tube sticking out that are referenced in the other two parts above. This is the tube coming from the IACV/AAC. To this you need to attach a hose that will go to a plug in your intercooler piping after your IC and before the throttle body.

Below the throttle body you can see the plug from the wires that came from the valves in the rear of the manifold. This meets up with a plug that I will show you next.

There is nothing you can really remove from the front of the manifold here except the vaccum hoses that come off of the small metal tubes that I mentioned earlier (the ones I said were a pain to remove.) Just plug them all up (one of these is the charcoal vaccum I mentioned earlier, which has to be plugged of course).

There are some funky coolant lines around this area that you ned to pay attention to but nothing you can modify. All of it stays stock.
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by fiznat »

Electrical

In this pic I am holding all of the plugs that connect to stuff on the front of the intake manifold. I separated all of these wires from the bunch that, stock, runs across the top of the upper intake manifold below the fuel rail. Note that this bunch of wires does NOT include the injector wires.. I did those separate for the sake of neatness.

You can see in my hand all the plugs that are on the front of the mani... also in this bunch (although you cant see it) is the plug that goes on the distributor. You can see the clips for it on the front of the upper timing cover there. I just recommend doing it this way for neatness sake.
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by fiznat »

PCV system

The PCV system is another part that you shouldn't remove from the intake manifold. The vaccum ports for it are located on the underside of the upper portion of the intake mani, here:

The port on the pipe there connects to a vaccum hose that connects to a funny looking box which bolts on to the side of the block near the throttle body. Keep all the vaccum lines and hardware associated with this system.
fiznat
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by fiznat »

Overview/Wrap Up

The finished product for me:

Note that I did not include any information on the fuel lines. This is because I used a custom top feed rail and line setup on my engine, so I dont really have too many pics and info about it. Basically the fuel feed is on the front of the rail (comes from the filter), and the return and fuel pressure regulator is on the rear of the rail (which goes to the return line, of course). You dont have to keep the stock system the way it is, but you obviously cant remove it completely either. Picking what you want to do with this is a matter of preference.

Well thats just about it! I'm sure I missed a thing or two and I may be incorrect once or more than once haha... So any questions feel free to ask, and any corrections feel free to post.

Also for those who are interested, the manifold finish is Duplicolor Cast-Coat Aluminum (500 degree) rattle can paint. I recommend it highly for people looking to refinish their manifolds without getting too crazy. I went from this:

To this:

With just some engine degreaser, wire brush, a couple coats, and some dry time. Very easy and it looks pretty nice IMO.

Okay, post away!!
IC x Prince
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by IC x Prince »

nice write up. i don't see those thousand little vacuum hoses so I guess all those can go.
Eric DeCastro
eric@importculture.com
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

very nice, i request a sticky.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
SHIFT_KA24DET
Forum Police!

Post by SHIFT_KA24DET »

s13grady wrote:very nice, i request a sticky.
Stickied!
- Adam
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Stickied....Probably will be added to the Tech section.

Rick
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"
SHIFT_KA24DET
Forum Police!

Post by SHIFT_KA24DET »

SHIFT_SR20DET wrote:
s13grady wrote:very nice, i request a sticky.
Stickied!
Rick wrote:Stickied....Probably will be added to the Tech section.

Rick
Ahh ha ha ha... Who Stickied 1st? :wink:
- Adam
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

that was damn fast
street trim sleeper
SHIFT_KA24DET
Forum Police!

Post by SHIFT_KA24DET »

s13grady wrote:that was damn fast
We don't fool around :P
- Adam
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

SHIFT_SR20DET wrote:
s13grady wrote:that was damn fast
We don't fool around :P
haha, its the only way to do business
street trim sleeper
klattr1
Forum Moderator

Post by klattr1 »

added to tech section.
thanks fiznat.
http://ka-t.org/tech/
ispypsi

Post by ispypsi »

I'll go ahead and touch on this, since I have an S14, and I did this about a year and a half ago, took pics, but they didnt come out good and I was too lazy to do a write up. Good job on the write up, btw. I really like that paint finish. I did mine in black but i want to do them in that color (stock cast looking) when i build the motor...maybe have it cleared too).

Anywho.

The EGR return...for those wanting a cleaner setup, you can pull the EGR return (the rusty looking thing that alot of people just block off with a plate) and you can have the 1" x 1/2" hole underneath welded closed...or you can get creative and make a blockoff plate there as i did since i had no welding access then. RTV is your friend. It's actually easy to where the EGR runs by finding that little bulge in the casting with the 4 big allen key screws. dont bother messing with it...if u feel with ur finger you can actually feel the holes where the egr dumps the exhaust gases into the runners. theyre very small probably 1/4" diameter at best. on S14's, that big screw sticking out of the EGR "bulge" will instead have a 2 wire probe inserted there. the good ole' EGR temp sensor (its a mini EGT :lol: )...this bastard will make you throw all the EGR check engine lights on an S14, esp OBD-II model. i cut the wires and left it as the plug. eh.

The secondary IACV thing talked about (the branched off portion) is the IACV-FICD. this bumps your idle up when your air conditioning turns on. so if you dont have a/c, you dont need it...but removing it means youd have to run either a full softline from the IC pipe (intake on n/a motors) to the main IACV unit, or cap off the "branch" and blockoff/weld the FICD hole shut.

The little line that dumps into the lower plenum behind the throttle body is the EVAP purge return. basically after your gas tank vapors settle into the charcoal can/EVAP can (on later models), the expunged air is sent to the intake manifold via this line, etc etc. and for reference, charcoal canister was behind the driver headlight up until 1996 when it was redesigned and moved to the passenger rear fenderwell, behind the wheel, under and beside the trunk...pulling that stuff out sucks, and if you're fiesty, have fun pulling that evap harness out of the trunk and interior (if youre anal like i am...or you aspire to wire like Russ ;) ) you can wire in a resistor to this too to trick it if you want but it wont make your car run better or worse if you have the CEL or not.

The throttle body coolant lines arent required...if you follow the "small" coolant hoses, you'll see it branches off the main coolant lines, basically flows back to the rear portion of the lower plenum, makes a U-turn (depending on year of motor, you'll actually see 2 metal 'elbows' that flow the coolant through a tab-like portion of the lower plenum casting - not that it will make a big difference but thats a slight amount of hot coolant heating the lower plenum...[good work, nissan engineers]) then it flows back up front and through the throttle body and tee's back into the main lines. i bypassed it, living in florida, and was able to "entice" one of the leftover lines to bridge the beginning and end and discarded everything in between, including the elbows and etc. NOTE!!! for those of you in cold climates, this might affect you if its somehow cold enough to freeze your throttle plate closed overnight or something i dunno.********

The 2 sensors on the upper coolant neck are the ever so important, and often frequent problem causing, coolant temp sensor, and the other is a **** 1 wire feed for your stock dummy gauge in your cluster. you can ditch the cluster one and weld shut, grind, polish, block off with a bolt...that one if you have an aftermarket water temp gauge and dont mind your stock cluster one not working...OR you can probe the aftermarket gauge in there. makes a cleaner install than buying those hose adapter things that you splice in the upper radiator hose.

The PCV system makes it hard to route it elsewhere due to the 4 nipples and being on the underside (lucky SR owners have 2 return nipples and its on top). that little box on the side of the block is an oil seperator and the pcv valve in there is like 8 bucks. if u have your manifold off might wanna pull it and check it (blow through the one end and then the other make sure its only opening one way - also clean it first before you put ur mouth on it lol). again if you have welding access or some really big vacuum caps (i decided not to opt for caps i didnt want any boost to leak or blow one off (and their a b!tch to reach), its best to weld them shut after cutting them off at the runner cast, then run a line from the pcv valve to a Tee, run the valve cover blow by vent to the other end of the Tee, then run that to a catch can...then run the other end of the can can to the intake pipe (NON PRESSURIZED PIPING!!!) and voila you have a functioning pcv system without the oily residue building up in the intake runners and head (be sure to check the catch can every so often, depending on how much blow by you have and how much oil gets past the pcv valve itself).

and a few notes on obd-II (late 95 models and up):

on the lower plenum behind the EVAP return hose and in front of the IACV-FICD unit, there is a black box similar looking to the FICD unit. it is part of the EVAP system and can also be ditched. theres a few sensors up top on obd-2 models that are ditchable too, which allows you to remove the fuel hardlines on top of the manifold and run softlines from the filter straight to the rail and from the regulator end of the rail to the hardline that returns to the tank under the car (bottom firewall by tranny tunnel).

also regarding obd-2 crap (might be all s14's not sure), you can remove the 2nd o2 sensor and the crank angle sensor (located on top of the bellhousing (hard to get to but good to do during a tranny/clutch swap)) without any ill effects but some CEL's.

and there's 2 sensors by the fuse box and passenger side strut tower...one is a BARO solenoid and the other is a MAP sensor...yes a MAP sensor...but wait...KA's are MAFs based, right? Indeed....that means that the MAP-BARO and the MAP-Absolute Pressure Sensor are there so if you live in a state that has emissions...these little clutter boxes help you pass the smog tests. other wise.....TO THE TRASH!

and to verify that you can do all that stuff (regarding the removals and OBD-2 crap), I have done all of it (sans crank sensor yet), and the only ill effect is that i have about 10 check engine codes.....but my motor ran fine n/a with it gone, and it still runs fine pushing boost. upon 1st impressions (while n/a), it seemed smoother during normal acceleration, maybe due to the EGR and EVAP systems not purging crappy air and clicking on and off between WOT, cruise, and Idle, but the butt dyno isnt purely accurate anyways. I'm still running an OBD-2 ECU as well. I was going to repin 3 wires and run an OBD-1 s14 ECU, but since i am going to be getting a ROM tune soon that requires use of an S13 ECU, i'll wait til then. but it should all still function fine, I do hear some OBD-1 s14 guys dont have as many check engine lighst and some none at all. Ill post an update in a month or so if i can get the ROm tune by then.
rn240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by rn240sx »

Im glad someone made a sticky out of this, i should have cause i done this like almost 2 yrs ago...

But its good to see, and everyone knows that all the millions of vacuum hoses, switches and solenoids can be removed safetly.....

Now just to clarify, i didnt do this alone.... 2 yrs ago, i had help from a good buddy in atlanta... who did the same to his about 3 yrs ago...
www.shopboldimpressions.com
98 240sx KA-T Full built motor JWT ecu 60-1 turbo 10 lbs
14 Genesis Coupe 2.0T stock turbo w/Bolt ons
98 Supra MKIV stock twins w/Bolt-ons
2012 Frontier V6, 4-door, 6ft bed (Daily Driver)
09 Ninja ZX-6R, Full exhaust, K&N pod filters
06 Suzuki Boulevard S40
/\ all still current 8.30.20
Nismoman91
240sx Wannabe

Post by Nismoman91 »

K guys I was going to get the EGR blockoff made but in the diagram there is no size for the center hole, can you guys tell me what size it is so I can go get it made. Thanks.
okis14
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by okis14 »

http://www.d-rated.com
http://www.coopertires.com
http://www.exedyusa.com
Parts: Wisco 9:1 Pistons, Pauter Rods, AEM EMS, Turbonetics Kit, JWT Cams
Engine For Sale viewtopic.php?t=26010
Big Zee
Learners Permit

Post by Big Zee »

quick question, I was scannig through and might have missed it,

I have an oil catch can that hooks up to the PCV system, I also have a 89 240sx with the KA24E engine, how do I hook up the oil catch can if I do the steps for the S13 intake?

thank you for the help, if I missed it, I apologize

Dustin
Big Zee on Revscene, here, Zilvia.net, bc240 and NWN
Dustin Zutz on www.Vancouver240.com and BcDSM
sure Na can be fun, but Boosted is funner
Ka24det_DreamKid
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Ka24det_DreamKid »

i got everything done expcept for some stuff
can this be removed?
http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... nt=312.jpg

question is on the pic.
http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... 353453.jpg
will it still work even tho it is still cracked
http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... nt=424.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... t=3235.jpg[/url]
Ka24det_DreamKid

^^^^ ANybody?
EstoMax
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by EstoMax »

Ka24det_DreamKid wrote:i got everything done expcept for some stuff
can this be removed?
http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... nt=312.jpg

question is on the pic.
http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... 353453.jpg
will it still work even tho it is still cracked
http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... nt=424.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/jbdaj ... t=3235.jpg[/url]
the first pic that looks like the EGR temp sensor plug, you can remove the plug and solder a 1/4 watt 100k ohm resistor for it so you wont throw a CEL.

and yes those vacuum lines can be removed.. if your not gonna then at least plug em.

cant really tell what the cracked thing is but if you can transfer a new plug /sensor over from your current intake mani when you put this one in (im assuming thats what your doing)

and thats the intake mani i sent you, damn its a lot cleaner than my s14 one :lol:

Marko
95 s14 kaT
t3/t04e (60 trim), bikirom, groundzero mani/dp, 82 lb AMS FS
94 d21 kaE 4x4 stock
Ka24det_DreamKid

Thanks man yeah i cleand it. Should see it now its like new again Thanks alot. again
ballinnmiami240sx

Post by ballinnmiami240sx »

What about the small line under the throttle body. What do you guys do with this?
ballinnmiami@yahoo.com
13.9 @ 7 psi 2.3 60ft.
ImageImageImage
Tarmac Terrorist
NooB

Post by Tarmac Terrorist »

ballinnmiami240sx wrote:What about the small line under the throttle body. What do you guys do with this?
I just plugged mine when i had the engine running! Seemed to work fine.
I did all of these steps except for running a hose to the IC Piping from the IACV/AAC Pipe. Do i have to run this into the Intercooler piping, or even the intake pipe in an N/A Setup?
I plugged mine, and everything seemed to work fine, also i didn't get any CEL's when i did a check...
brian240grip
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by brian240grip »

I need the pics!!! They've expired, is there ANY way to get the pics back up??? I'm in the process of doing this, I pulled my intake mani off last night, what a mess!
"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, your gonna see some serious ****." -Dr. Emmit Brown
DisFrikkenWill

Post by DisFrikkenWill »

pics are down.
Kinematics
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Kinematics »

Just take everything off save for the IAC and the PCV. You should only have one vacuum line going to the FPR.

240sx bandwagon