The CORRECT Brian Crower Cam Cards Pls Sticky

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
ILuvS13s
Encyclopedia-Nissan

The CORRECT Brian Crower Cam Cards Pls Sticky

Post by ILuvS13s »

After much debate I decided to call Brian Crower again to get more information on their cam card. As it turns out, the cam card has truely been wrong for all these years.

I talked to Dustin Spencer @ BC and he confirmed this. He said the guy that took the measurements used the wrong gears on the cams and thus netted the wrong valve timing events.

This being said, they have corrected the issue. I also let them know that the incorrect valve timings are listed in their catalogue PDF file. He said he will work to have it corrected ASAP. He also said they will be rolling out a new site next month with a new PDF catalogue with the corrected cam card.

He emailed me a link to the new cam card.

I have these in PDF form but I'm not sure where to host them right off. I just opened them in PS and saved them in JPG so I could host the images at least.

Plugging in these numbers for the 264's you get

Your cam has an Overlap of -21.00 degrees @ .050" lift and has in Intake Duration of 218.00 degrees.
The Exhaust Duration is 218.00 degrees.
The Inlet Cam has an Installed Centerline of 121.00 degrees ATDC.
The exhaust cam has an Installed Centerline of 118.00 degrees BTDC.

Plugging these in for the 272's results in

Your cam has an Overlap of -11.00 degrees @ .050" lift and has in Intake Duration of 226.00 degrees.
The Exhaust Duration is 226.00 degrees.
The Inlet Cam has an Installed Centerline of 121.00 degrees ATDC.
The exhaust cam has an Installed Centerline of 116.00 degrees BTDC.

The numbers on the 264's are pretty close to the numbers I got when I checked the timing events on my cams.

@ .050" lift
Intake -19atdc/49abdc
exhaust 45bbdc/-14btdc

Once I tighten my lash to BC specs, my cams will be a hell of a lot closer than I first though.
Last edited by ILuvS13s on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
240drew wrote:will someone go thru and show me how to wipe my ass? I am really confused, does the paper go in? ( I am just kidding) I am a bit bored.
R34SR wrote:save a tree, drag your ass on the grass.
RIP Nate Moore (480sx)We will never forget you.

Bonomoskat
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Bonomoskat »

**** thats way different then my setup i wonder if i have power hiding in these cams
ILuvS13s
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ILuvS13s »

as I said before in your dyno sheet, your torque is dropping off some. This means you need to broaden your LSA more. I dont remember what your numbers were exactly. if you can post them I can help you see if you can get her to keep on pulling.
240drew wrote:will someone go thru and show me how to wipe my ass? I am really confused, does the paper go in? ( I am just kidding) I am a bit bored.

stb240sx
NooB

Post by stb240sx »

This is interesting. I have the 272's which I bought and installed in '08 I think, with the supplied Cam card. Keep in mind, this is a N/A engine that I have plans to turbo. I have always felt like even though these cams are designed for boost that they had more in them. I am going to use the numbers you listed to see what it does for my power. I'm also using stock pistons so with that compression I think that will also hinder how much power I can make with the cams without boost. Interesting all the same.
Hopefully I will be getting a turbo setup soon.
Bonomoskat
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Bonomoskat »

well thats was before i timed them have u seen the new dyno? check it out !
ILuvS13s
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ILuvS13s »

yah i saw that one right after you put that plenum on. i honestly think you might make a little more power if you spread out your lsa a little. might get rid of that torque drop between 5-6k. if you make less power, then put it back. worth a shot for sure.

smracing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by smracing »

You really have no idea what you are talking about. I've told you guys for years that the BC card is wrong. Every chance you get you tell people that my suggestions are wrong. Look at the numbers now.
ILuvS13s
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ILuvS13s »

k.

ILuvS13s
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ILuvS13s »

never claimed to be an expert. I figured a few things wrong. so have almost everyone else on the forum.

Total overlap should be figured at very low lift, like .001. Those should be the numbers that figure total overlap.

Another way I should have been checking overlap is using duration and lsa.

264+264/4=132

121center + 118 center/2= 119.5 lsa

132-119.5= 12.5 *2= 25 degrees.

BC V2's should have 25 degree of total overlap.

As far as me saying you were wrong. The only real thing I ever pinned you for being wrong about was saying that .008 and .010 is too tight for our head design. You said they should be clearanced to .013 and .015. To my knowledge, no off the shelf cam for the KA specifies stock lash. Their specs are always tighter then stock. Loosening the lash makes the cam appear smaller then it really is. There are multiple people running BC spec lashes with no ill affects.

Other then that, you are right. The cam card was wrong. I just wish that you would have shared a little more indepth info with us a long time ago. People have been scratching their heads for years. It is what it is. If you aren't the type to go into great detail, I don't hold that against you.

As far as me not knowing what Im talking about. Maybe I do, maybe I dont. Maybe I half ass do. At least I share what knowledge I do find, that can someday help someone else that was in my situation. Im not afraid to change the methods I've used and correct the errors that I've said. Thats all a part of the learning process.

The fact is, at least 2 of the people that have asked me for help have picked up power from my half assed advice. One has a dyno sheet to back it up. He gained 52WHP up top and 30whp across the board. He also picked up 70fpt. Maybe he has more left in them.. Anyway Im done. You can say what you want. I don't care.

schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

We need some kinda stickied list of things to know about the KA.. Ive been telling people not to put GL5 in their trannies for a long time, but im not going to repeat it 50238520 times.

Theres quite a bit of good info that you cant repeat enough, and really should all go in one place and be filtered by the mods
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress