Issues with "TPS idle" - S13 ka24de ECU (Nistune)

Advanced discussion of improving KA-T components
adamky
SuperMod

Issues with "TPS idle" - S13 ka24de ECU (Nistune)

Post by adamky »

I'm having trouble getting the TPS Idle flag to light up red in Consult (s13 ka24de ecu). The problem is that the voltage at which TPS idle activates seems to keep changing. For instance, earlier this week, I was having to adjust TPS down to .38V to get it to light up red. I put in a brand new sensor Sunday, and now it seems to activate around .20V. But, here's the thing... it jumps around. If I rev the engine a few times, it starts activating at an even lower voltage, like .16 volts. Rev it a few more times, and now it's kicking in at .20 or .22 again. The old sensor was also jumping around like this, only it would switch from .34V to .40V, or somewhere around there.

This is driving me crazy. Because TPS idle isn't getting activated every time, my idle is a bit unstable, and the car is dying when coming to a stop because TPS idle never kicks in. I was under the impression that the ECU only uses TPS voltage to determine TPS idle conditions, but I am starting to wonder if there isn't something else that affects this that I don't realize. I can't understand why it would activate at .38V one day, and then .20V the next. It just doesn't make sense. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

BTW, I have a OEM TPS sensor on the way. I am hoping it helps, but I still don't understand what's going on here.
Last edited by adamky on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
thesandman4444
240sx Wannabe

Post by thesandman4444 »

Unplug the tps and turn the ignition on for a few minutes. When you reconnect it the ecu sets that voltage as the tps idle voltage. Oem tps is the only way to go, the cheap parts store ones have a large backlash in the sensor which causes it to be very inaccurate. I fought the problem for more than a month before I figured out it was just from a cheap part.
built block, sls manifold, 60 trim t3/t04e, rc 750s and nistune
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

thesandman4444 wrote:Unplug the tps and turn the ignition on for a few minutes. When you reconnect it the ecu sets that voltage as the tps idle voltage. Oem tps is the only way to go, the cheap parts store ones have a large backlash in the sensor which causes it to be very inaccurate. I fought the problem for more than a month before I figured out it was just from a cheap part.

Really? If that's true, then that may be my problem. I will give that a try. Thanks man!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

i got a tps from car quest and thay sell the oem nissan tps. thay can match the part number to what your's is. but almost half the cost of going to nissan or so on.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Well, I installed my new OEM TPS sensor tonight. I also did the trick that thesandman4444 recommended and I think it is working correctly now. Thanks for the suggestions.