spamming...

All non-car chat in here...discuss the weather, politics or whatever.
azS13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

spamming...

Post by azS13 »

Is it just me, or is there an increasingly LARGE amount of spam here lately? WTF
91 240sx- always broken
1jz project started May 2011
Running finally Oct 5, 2014
R34SR wrote: 240sx = half sports car half truck.....cant decide if you want to track it or tow a boat.
240-kid

Post by 240-kid »

Yep.... It's been discussed a couple time recently.

viewtopic.php?t=17641&highlight=

Honestly I would not mind becoming a mod and giving some of my time to clean up some spam and some threads. I'm a Admin of another 240 site so I know how much spam goes around. We had quite a bit over the past few weeks but we Delete the posts and IP Ban. So far so good.

Where do I sign up?
azS13

Post by azS13 »

Honestly, I stopped getting on here because of spam and retarded noobs asking the same questions over and over. ka-t used to be my all time favorite site to go on, forums or otherwise... now I just dont go on forums sites anymore
91 240sx- always broken
1jz project started May 2011
Running finally Oct 5, 2014
R34SR wrote: 240sx = half sports car half truck.....cant decide if you want to track it or tow a boat.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

For a while, klattr had for the most part disappeared... More recently he's been posting but I don't think he's said a word in response to all of the complaints about spam and folks stepping up and offering to moderate the forums.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

employ 240-kid, seen em around on enough forums (even 240sxONE) and you been around long enough.

PM klatt, we have no active mods now, we really need it.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
biggie

Post by biggie »

There are many that would lend a hand with moderating, just nothing has been done yet.
'93 Coupe GT32e/'93 Vert/'03 G35C

Always Broke!!!
240-kid

Post by 240-kid »

sdaigle240 wrote:employ 240-kid, seen em around on enough forums (even 240sxONE) and you been around long enough.

PM klatt, we have no active mods now, we really need it.
Thanks. Yeah I'm on quite a few forums.

Most active is 240SXForums.com which I am actually the admin of. NissanRoadRacing, and here as far as 240 related forums go.
I'd love to give back to ka-t by becoming a mod. So ill send him a PM tonight about becoming one.
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Most of us are just busy, but we try and do the best we can with the little time that we do have to spend on here.
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
240-kid

Post by 240-kid »

Right and I understand that but I think it would be a little more useful to promote a few members who are on the site a little more frequently.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

8-bit is the only moderator that still shows up.

Someone, please phone Klattr or Rick, they are not answering my PM's.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I know what's going on here!

The owners have gotten together and sold rights for these spammers to post their crap, in exchange for money! It's not a loss for them, they never show up to deal with it and clean up after it.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY MAN, A CONSPIRACY
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

^probably.

I'd drop $20/year to keep this place spam free if it is the Admin causing it.
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

Walperstyle wrote:^probably.

It's not. Ryan is busy with the birth of his first kid. Rick is the other guy and I've never met him before so I don't know what his story is.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

TryingToTurbo wrote:
Walperstyle wrote:^probably.

It's not.
Oh I definitely wasn't being serious there in my post! Add a *hippy voice* after my conspiracy point.

It'd just be nice to appoint a few mods to help keep it down and issue bans to these folks and keep the place clean. I'd love to help out.
klattr1
Forum Moderator

Post by klattr1 »

Guys, the spam gets deleted. Although 85% of it is fake bots, the other 15% is live humans out there posting trying to make a buck. So if you see some, just PM me or email me and I or someone else will delete it.

I'm still on the forum quite often invisibly doing maintenance things and moving threads and so on. I don't post as much as I used to do to starting my own business and having my first child. The site and forum will be getting an overhaul within the next few months as I find time.

In light of all of this, just remember we don't whore out our site/forums (unlike most others these days) with irrelevant Google ads that take up screen real estate. Our goal is to keep the content on this site relevant and inspiring. But it's not all up to us mods/site owners, YOU have to step it up and contribute to the site and keep this place a technically rich community.

Thanks.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

As for stepping up in the community? uh, that has nothing to do with this. There is spammers bumping old threads with blogs or links in the signature. More content here creates clutter, and spammers make it worse by bumping old tech, that is now proven to be bad technology and work arrounds. This is where Admin needs to step up.

Here is how YOU can help. You make a quick 'report' button for each post of every member. This way it can be a simple process for us minions. Having to PM for all these hundreds of spammers is not going to work.

If you don't know how to ban by IP address, or understand how IP Octets work, let me know. This way you can block out entire countries that will never contribute here, like India, China, etc. And anyone else that doesn't even speak English. This will stop the automated spam bots from overseas.
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

A very large part of China and India was blocked tonight via IP bans....
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"
Rick
KA-T.org Co-Owner
KA-T.org Co-Owner

Post by Rick »

Walperstyle wrote:As for stepping up in the community? uh, that has nothing to do with this. There is spammers bumping old threads with blogs or links in the signature. More content here creates clutter, and spammers make it worse by bumping old tech, that is now proven to be bad technology and work arrounds. This is where Admin needs to step up.

Here is how YOU can help. You make a quick 'report' button for each post of every member. This way it can be a simple process for us minions. Having to PM for all these hundreds of spammers is not going to work.

If you don't know how to ban by IP address, or understand how IP Octets work, let me know. This way you can block out entire countries that will never contribute here, like India, China, etc. And anyone else that doesn't even speak English. This will stop the automated spam bots from overseas.
Walper - I responded to your, apologies it took so long. Making the report button for everyone is much easier said than done. I have however, been working on upgrading the forums to phpBB3 which has a higher level of anti-spam measures and also allows people to 'report' a post.

More information will be coming out shortly.
••••••••••••••••••••••••
No... I don't own a 240 anymore!
••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Don't remind me of my failures, I haven't yet forgotten them"