Coil On Plug Conversion for Stock ECU

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Re: Coil On Plug Conversion for Stock ECU

Post by p00t »

Looks good, thanks for posting a picture of the setup! That jacket on the COP harness looks really durable.

Also I think you beat me to the 3D printed dizzy cap!

Mines waiting to go on:
Last edited by p00t on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Experiment: APS SR56, Methanol Injection, & Built Block
mfschoenberg6522
Learners Permit

Post by mfschoenberg6522 »

Yes, Wiring Specialties makes a very good product. Highly recommend them for harnesses & connectors on Nissan's.

I found another source for dust covers on ebay for slightly less than Xcessive with free shipping from the Midwest. These seem to be rapid prototpye style material, with a fairly high heat capability. Actually, I had a exhaust gasket leak on my CXRacing tubular header that melted my distributor and caused alot of problems (left me stranded). So I'm happy to get rid of the distributor & spark plug wires.

For whatever reason, the CXRacing tubular headers placed my turbo compressor very close to the dizzy, I had to rebuild the center section last year as a replacement T3/T4 from CXRacing didn't fit (Designed for S13 w/ shorter dizzy w/o internal coil). So that opens me up to a new turbo as well and is
on my 'to do' list.

I had my eye on a Nice Time Racing valve cover adapter w/o hardware for a Honda K coil, but these are $275. I used 2 part epoxy & M6 x 1 tapped bosses. This may be a temporary solution for now. Maybe a reason others could use LS coils. I still have a ROM tune S13 ECU, looking at a Nismotronic solution or possibly stand alone in the distant future now that I have a COP solution. I had looked into the SR20 ECU w/ adapter harness, but decided to go a different direction.
BoostedB
NooB

Post by BoostedB »

Hey p00t! Joined just to solicit a message from you. I'd like to get ahold of one of these!
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

Wow I haven't been keeping an eye on the forums close enough! How much are these COP converters going for?
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Hey Alonso. I am selling them for $125 + shipping. Going to have to make more it seems!

You can thank Matt (mfshoenberg) for reviving this thread... and also special thanks to the bots for not having spammed this thread yet. I am a little jealous "ingoodpoo8" chose a different thread to comment in!

I was looking at the Maxima coils and it looked like three of them could use the existing valve cover bolt holes to hold them down. Maybe use a stud or a longer bolt with a spacer? I am not sure what options are out there for adapting them to the KA but if anyone has info we should update the Maxima coils thread.

Here's how the 01 Max coils fit FYI:
Last edited by p00t on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Awesome seeing you legends still around. I hope with the new phpBB update and recaptcha v3 we will not see much spam.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

I'd be willing to hang around more but every browser I use warns me that the connection to this site is not secure. What can one do about that, if possible?
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Ahh! Thanks for pointing that out - SSL certificate is renewed and https is now enabled.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

So after reading the manual, this unit would NOT be compatible with a stock ecu running nismotronic with spark cut limiter enabled?

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

As it is coded now no it always expects a spark because the nissan ecu normally always sends one.

I have an idea of how to remedy that but I don't have an ecu with that feature to test and debug on.
ShinyWisenheimer
NooB

Post by ShinyWisenheimer »

p00t are you still making these? Also, just out of curiosity, what’s the r&d been like? How many people are running these? Any issues? Not a whole lot of options out there for stock ecu coil on plug conversions.
I dropped a DE into a ‘73 Datsun 620 and decided to go with an auto trans so my options for stand alone ecu’s are basically zero 🤦🏻‍♂️
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

I can make them. I need to order the PCB boards. I sold all the ones I had. I guess I should just order them so people don't have to wait.

They ran in two of my cars for years. Still in my 240 and running great.

One person has posted his car running on max coils but that's the limit of outside feedback. I would't be offering them here if they didn't work :) I was learning stuff with microcontrollers on this project so there is more time in it than would ever make sense under normal circumstances. Surely a sane person would just get a standalone instead of working on something for a few years and keep his stock ecu with a 60 dollar daughterboard :confusion-seeingstars: